SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Take back my submission, or just follow up?

Discussion started on

Last year I submitted a story to an online magazine and was told via email it would be featured in the summer 2011 issue in June. I did not receive a contract, but I received two emails confirming the intended use of my story. The magazine was having troubles I guess, and there was no June issue. However, recently they released a summer issue. I purchased a copy of it, and found that my story was not featured.

I think the magazine is having troubles, like I said. I also don't think they are holding my story for a future issue, unless for next summer, since it is a very summer-specific topic.

What if I send the following email? I want to be professional and understanding. However if they are not using my story, I'd like to re-submit:

"Dear __:
I am writing to check on the status of my story ____. Our email communications in January 2011 indicated the story would appear in your summer 2011 issue, but I notice it was not included. I would so appreciate an update on whether you plan to use the story in a future issue. If you do not plan to use it, please let me know that I can submit it elsewhere. I look forward to hearing from you by December 1, 2011; otherwise I will consider it confirmation that you decline to use the story and that I can submit elsewhere, and that it will not appear in a future issue of your magazine."

I feel like it sounds rude, but if I end up submitting it elsewhere I want to make sure my bases are covered in terms of this publication not using it.

Thanks!
#1 - September 21, 2011, 03:05 PM

jeffman

Maybe it's too rough after sentence 3? Save the big guns for a follow-up if you don't get a reasonable reply within a reasonable amount of time?
#2 - September 21, 2011, 03:41 PM

If this on-line magazine is Bumples and it sounds like it is, yes, they've had significant issues and are no longer paying their writers. I had stories that were slated as well, as I'm sure many others here have too. I'd advise simply withdrawing your story, unless you're fine with publication without payment. My impression is that this is someone who got way over her head, and it doesn't seem like that's going to change. Having paid to be a subscriber and seen the results of each issue, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with my work appearing there.
#3 - September 21, 2011, 03:46 PM

Poster Plus
I don't think your letter is a bit rude .. it's very polite and matter of fact, but I think I would just go ahead and withdraw.
#4 - September 21, 2011, 04:32 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I agree with Lillian. Your letter is not at all rude. Forthright is not rude. :  )
#5 - September 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

I agree with Lill and Julie.  Definitely. 
#6 - September 22, 2011, 05:38 AM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

PiaSurligneur

I was in exactly the same situation and I chose to withdraw my story. 
#7 - September 23, 2011, 10:18 AM

Originaly Anonymous here-

Thank you all so much. All the responses have helped me decide what to do (which is most likely to withdraw).

I'm sorry that others are in the same boat. Onward and upward, right?

Thanks again.
#8 - September 23, 2011, 10:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I agree. The letter is fine. If it is the aforementioned online magazine, I would recommend pulling your story. They printed mine and I never got paid for it -- despite many emails more strongly worded than yours.  Good luck submitting it elsewhere.
#9 - October 18, 2011, 08:52 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Glad I withdrew my accepted sub too. I didn't realize she still owed money to writers.  :(
And I think the letter is nice - not rude at all.
#10 - October 18, 2011, 09:46 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Members: