SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Mix-n-match fashion

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
In the world of my WIP, I can have characters mix and match clothing styles from around the world in pretty much any way they wish. I've done a bit of brainstorming on this, but my personal clothing tastes tend toward the boring. I've just never been into fashion, and frankly, I don't want people to notice me much.

Most of the characters in my world are the total opposite of me, clothing-wise. They want to make a statement with what they wear. My 15-year-old girl MC, in particular, wants to look awesome. And I'm drawing a blank.

So I thought I'd consult you blueboarders and see if you can get me moving.

1. Any ideas about fun ways to combine hair/clothes/jewelry/piercing/tattooing practices from around the world?

2. Any ideas about good books I should read that would give me an overview of clothing traditions from one or several cultures? Contemporary stuff interests me most, but historical stuff would be okay, too. I'd particularly love book recommendations on worldwide clothing traditions for children (including children younger than my MC).
#1 - September 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Member.
Poster Plus
I'd suggest picking up copies of Vogue, 17 or other glamour magazines for some ideas. :)
#2 - September 29, 2011, 10:13 PM

ecb

New!
Look for fashion blogs! There are tons of them, from all around the world. I can't recommend any specifically (as I'm not really a blog reader), but I've seen ones on Japanese style, Paris fashion, and even stylish women in their 90s! I'd probably Google exactly what I wanted: "Scandinavian Fashion Blog" or whatnot.  A Google image search will help, too--lots of visual inspiration right there. This, for instance, just came up when I Googled "Japanese teen fashion:"

(The name of that style is, I believe, "Gothic Lolita," if it helps, and Wikipedia has a great article about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion.)

And here's a blog featuring photos of "street style in Amsterdam:" http://damstyle.blogspot.com/

...Then pull together pieces that your characters would be drawn to, even if they don't really make sense to your adult fashion brain!

This sounds *really* fun!!  The MC in my new WIP is kind of a fashionista, too, with her own definite style, and it's been fun exploring that aspect of her personality, since she's sooooo different from any of my other MCs so far.
#3 - September 30, 2011, 12:34 PM
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:47 PM by ecb »

Members: