SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Rewriting History

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
Aside from Jennifer Donnelly's A NORTHERN LIGHT (which I loved), can anyone recommend any other books that "rewrite history?" By this, I mean they alter the way real events unfolded. (For example, in A NOTHERN LIGHT, the fictional main character, Mattie, is in possession of some letters which will help prove that a woman was murdered. The murder was real, and there really were letters that were instrumental in the subsequent trial, but the way in which they were obtained would have been different.)
#1 - July 05, 2011, 08:36 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
  • SCBWI PAL
They're adult books, but The Lord Darcy books by Randell Garrett present historical events the way they would have unfolded if magic and not science developed in modern society. 

God bless,
Susan
#2 - July 05, 2011, 09:01 AM
susanameyers.com
Susan York Meyers, Children's and YA Author

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
If you don't mind my using one of my own books as an example, in my Bewitching Season the outside historical events are as they happened--Princess Victoria fighting off the efforts of her mother and her mother's steward to force her to accept a regency or to take Sir John as her Private Secretary--but in my story I introduce fantasy elements--Sir John trying to use magic to achieve his ends and being defeated by my (fictional) heroine.
#3 - July 05, 2011, 10:55 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

shana

Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series is about WWI, but is a steampunk version and alters events before and during the war.
#4 - July 05, 2011, 11:26 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
All my suggetions are historical novels with medieval settings. Tracy Barrett's ANNA OF BYZANTIUM alters the age of and some of the details about her protagonist (Barrett makes her much younger when the events of the story happen). So does Rebecca Tingle's FAR TRAVELER. Interestingly, Barrett tells readers about this in an author's note, but Tingle, who includes an author's note, doesn't tell about those changes; it's a historical event and person I'm familiar with, but it's so obscure that few readers would notice. In fact, reviews praised the book's historical accuracy. My own BOOK OF THE MAIDSERVANT takes historical characters on a historical pilgrimage---but changes some of the places they go to for the sake of the plot. All of that is discussed in the author's note.
#5 - July 05, 2011, 07:14 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
thanks everyone! this is really helpful!  :biggrin:
#6 - July 07, 2011, 08:29 AM

Members: