SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Ashes by Ilsa Bick

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
I LOVED THIS BOOK. Totally couldn't put it down. Reminded me of Stephen King. I was a little iffy for the first twenty or so pages, but then BAM! It really was an oh-my-gosh-I-actually-have-to-WAIT-for-the-next-book book.

Anyone else?

#1 - September 27, 2011, 06:48 PM
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:50 PM by TracyH »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
I loved it too!  A great combination of suspense, horror and mystery.  Very King-esque.  Can't wait for the next one.

I wanted some news of her friends at the end, but I'm sure it's coming in Book 2!
#2 - September 29, 2011, 10:22 PM
SILVER (Flux)
GOLD (Flux)
SPIES AND PREJUDICE (Egmont USA)

http://www.YAMuses.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
hey guys -  I assume you are talking about ASHES by Ilsa J Bick -- but there are like five recent books called ASHES (or ASHES  ASHES or ASHFALL or similar) - should we specify?
#3 - September 30, 2011, 08:14 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

cyn2write

The Ilsa Bick one is next up in my TBR pile! I can not wait... this is SO my type of book!
#4 - September 30, 2011, 08:23 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Yes, ASHES by Ilsa Bick. Loved it from page 1! A good scary book to read while  :tent:
#5 - September 30, 2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Loved Ashes, but was frustrated with the cliffhanger ending. I want more!
BTW, Ashfall by Mike Mullin is an excellent read too.

keep writing,
dave r
#6 - October 01, 2011, 11:04 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes! The Ilsa Bick one. I haven't been able to find info on when the second book is coming out. Literaticat - is that info public? (Congratulations to you, too!)

#7 - October 01, 2011, 10:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Book 2, SHADOWS comes out Sept 2012.  Book 3, MONSTERS comes out Sept 2013.
#8 - October 01, 2011, 11:11 PM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

mbwest1220

I adored Ashes. I reread the last few pages a zillion times trying to pull more info out of them. I can't wait for book 2!
#9 - October 02, 2011, 05:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Book 2, SHADOWS comes out Sept 2012.  Book 3, MONSTERS comes out Sept 2013.

:groan
#10 - October 03, 2011, 03:54 PM

cyn2write

I am reading it right now. I can say it isn't exactly a happy book. In fact, it is probably the darkest and most depressing book I've ever read. Good, but really dark and depressing. I had to walk away for a little bit.
#11 - October 10, 2011, 04:51 AM

Woods

I just bought ASHES today. I kept reading the beginning because of the voice and the setting and then I reached chapter four and BAM! Suspense! The oh-my-gosh-I-need-to-keep-reading suspense. But I had to close the book because I was in the car.

I want to read it now now now! But I know if I start reading it now I won't stop. I'll have to return to it in the morning with a nice cup of coffee.

I am reading it right now. I can say it isn't exactly a happy book. In fact, it is probably the darkest and most depressing book I've ever read. Good, but really dark and depressing. I had to walk away for a little bit.

Really?  Uh-oh.
#12 - October 13, 2011, 07:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL

Hmm. That's an interesting observation. It is bleak, but I see hope in the strength of the characters. I also see a revolution coming. And I'm a sucker for a revolution. This reminds me of The Stand in a way.
#13 - October 15, 2011, 02:06 PM

Ohhh.... I read some horror - love Dean Koontz, but I had to put The Stand down halfway through. I wussed out! I'm hoping I can handle this one because it sounds so good!
#14 - October 15, 2011, 02:43 PM
Robin

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'm so relieved to learn there's a sequel!!!! I read it in two gulps this weekend and finished it about three hours ago. Have been unanchored ever since. I hoped hoped HOPED the ending was a set-up for a sequel; otherwise it was waaaaaay too Cormieresque after everything that went before, and I counted at least three major plot threads that still had loose ends.
#15 - October 15, 2011, 05:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
If you all liked this, check out Divergent. That's another really good one.
#16 - October 15, 2011, 06:15 PM

Woods

I'm approximately halfway through the book now. I need to go write first (because if I start reading it now I won't stop). After I write for a few hours, it's time to grab a steaming cup of coffee, sit down, and finish it.

Is it just me, or does the suspense in ASHES holds you as though you were reading THE HUNGER GAMES?

#17 - October 16, 2011, 03:52 AM

cyn2write

Hmm. That's an interesting observation. It is bleak, but I see hope in the strength of the characters. I also see a revolution coming. And I'm a sucker for a revolution. This reminds me of The Stand in a way.

The Stand is probably one of my favorite books, ever. That is why I thought this book would be so up my alley. I wasn't as happy with the last third of ASHES as I was with the beginning... I was a little disappointed in the direction it turned. But I still think I will read the sequel, which says a lot, since I very rarely want to read sequels.

And I loved Divergent, too. I'll read the sequel for that one, for sure.
#18 - October 17, 2011, 05:02 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
The Stand is probably one of my favorite books, ever. That is why I thought this book would be so up my alley. I wasn't as happy with the last third of ASHES as I was with the beginning... I was a little disappointed in the direction it turned. But I still think I will read the sequel, which says a lot, since I very rarely want to read sequels.

And I loved Divergent, too. I'll read the sequel for that one, for sure.

I'm the same way about sequels! What turn didn't you like? Was it the town stuff?

I'm wondering if things will get even worse in the second book or if things will start to turn more hopeful.
#19 - October 17, 2011, 10:29 AM

Athena529

I loved it, but the ending had me screaming "noooooo." I need a book that doesn't end with such a cliffhanger!
#20 - October 17, 2011, 11:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I read this yesterday and wow, yeah, a total page-turner that ended with more questions than answers about the whole situation! So that kind of bugged me since I wanted SOME resolution to at least ONE part of the book, BUT I will totally read the sequel! And I'm with Cyn, I rarely read sequels.

#21 - October 17, 2011, 12:56 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

cyn2write

I'm the same way about sequels! What turn didn't you like? Was it the town stuff?

I think it was the whole cult thing, without giving away too much about it... I just enjoyed it so much more when it was she and Tom and the little girl, trying to survive on their own. That's why I'll read the sequel... seems like it will be more of her trying to survive on her own, again.
#22 - October 18, 2011, 04:38 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I think it was the whole cult thing, without giving away too much about it... I just enjoyed it so much more when it was she and Tom and the little girl, trying to survive on their own. That's why I'll read the sequel... seems like it will be more of her trying to survive on her own, again.

SPOILER! (sort of)

I agree.  I did like all of that better than the town. But now there is a love triangle! Although, not an especially convincing one. But we'll see what happens next.
#23 - October 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:51 PM by TracyH »

cyn2write

SPOLER! (sort of)

But now there is a love triangle! Although, not an especially convincing one. But we'll see what happens next.

Ha!  I would say the romantic aspect is not the strongest part of the book, but you know what? Doesn't really bother me. I kind of get annoyed with books where the world is ending, zombies are at the door, and the main character and her love interest are making googly eyes at each other. You are going to get eaten, people. Prioritize.
#24 - October 20, 2011, 04:49 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I totally agree with Cyn's assessment of the love triangle. :)
#25 - October 20, 2011, 06:28 AM
www.deenalipomi.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Yeah. I rolled my eyes when I realized there was another love triangle going on, at least from Alex's POV. I keep wondering about why Tom was fragged. I am not going to speculate here lest I spoil it for somebody else, but I have a strong, strong hunch.
#26 - October 20, 2011, 07:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Cyn - That is hysterical. My friend is writing about zombies where the main guy is all -  they're called zombies already! Not the Walking Dead! Not the Forsaken Ones! Zombies!

#27 - October 20, 2011, 01:57 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
OK, bumping this up again bc my colleague and I were discussing this book, and I cannot remember the details of the ending....

SPOILERS!!!!

Can someone refresh my memory? So are we to assume that the main character is tricked to go to the barn at the end to be killed/eaten? I wish I had the book on me!
#28 - March 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
www.deenalipomi.com

Not sure. DROVE ME CRAZY the way it ended. Even my rep wasn't sure, so we'll have to wait for the sequel.

keep writing and reading,
dave r
#29 - March 07, 2012, 09:58 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Chronic
Poster Plus
I really enjoyed the book as a whole but couldn't get into the town part either. For me the suspense slowed right down at that point. And I agree with Cyn re. the love triangle too.

I just enjoyed it so much more when it was she and Tom and the little girl, trying to survive on their own 

I thought those bits were fantastic and will read the second book hoping for more of that. 
#30 - March 07, 2012, 10:06 AM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Members: