SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Ashes by Ilsa Bick

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Thanks, Dave R! I remember reading the last couple pages over and over again, but when my colleague asked for my take on it, I couldn't remember coming to any solid conclusion!
#31 - March 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
SPOILERS

I thought she was tricked to go be food for the town's kids turned zombies- it appeared the townspeople were feeding/clothing and caring for them.  Chris knew what was happening which is why he tried so hard to stop her from leaving.  She was a sacrifice to motivate Chris to take a leadership role and stop the town from continuing to sacrifice people to the zombies.   But now you have me wondering....
#32 - March 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
SILVER (Flux)
GOLD (Flux)
SPIES AND PREJUDICE (Egmont USA)

http://www.YAMuses.blogspot.com

Chronic
Poster Plus
Talia, that's exactly what I thought was going on too.
#33 - March 08, 2012, 06:02 AM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
"She was a sacrifice to motivate Chris to take a leadership role and stop the town from continuing to sacrifice people to the zombies."

Ah, that makes sense! I didn't think of that. So the woman who tricked Alex to go out to the zombie kids actually did it to motivate Chris to fulfill his role....that could work!
#34 - March 08, 2012, 07:12 AM
www.deenalipomi.com

Sequel comes out in September, I believe.
#35 - March 08, 2012, 03:18 PM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Just finished the ARC of the sequel, Shadows. OMG!
There were times I had to put the book down, just to catch my breath. Definitely not a "transition" novel, as many #2 books of a trilogy are.

Won't give anything away, but yes, it does answer the question you're left with at the end.

Now the BIG WAIT for number 3 begins.

If anyone wants something to read in the meantime, try:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Divergent by Veronica Roth
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Keep writing and reading,
dave r
#36 - March 15, 2012, 04:17 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
dave r! So jealous!!
#37 - March 15, 2012, 10:47 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Wait a minute Dave! NOT FAIR! :) This librarian is feeling the reading jealousy burn, lol!
#38 - March 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
www.deenalipomi.com

CaroleB

Am 3/4ths through the book.

And last night, well, umm...I guess it got into my head. I had a dream that my grand kids turned into you know what!  :reaction

That was creepy.

I've read a lot of books that stay with me, impact me, and find myself processing/digesting them, BUT NEVER DO I DREAM ABOUT THEM!

Now I'm wondering how often other folks dream about the books they're reading. Maybe another thread on that would be interesting, eh?
#39 - March 28, 2012, 04:41 AM

CaroleB

Weird.
Have wanted to read Shadows, so went to my library to check it out. Librarian told me it's NOT been published yet. I'm like, "Huh?". So thought, hmmm, I must have misunderstood. Daver read an ARC and whatever made me think it's out, well I was wrong.
Just realized TODAY(!) it IS out!  ( bad librarian, bad, bad) So excited and will download it asap.
My hubby also read Ashes, first YA book ever for him and he LOVED it. Next he read Hunger Games and said he liked Ashes better. So he's going to be happy when I download it, too.

This is the same librarian that never smiles, never "gets" my jokes, and seems to live in his own space. What's up with that?
#40 - April 24, 2012, 05:39 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Weird.
Have wanted to read Shadows, so went to my library to check it out. Librarian told me it's NOT been published yet. I'm like, "Huh?". So thought, hmmm, I must have misunderstood. Daver read an ARC and whatever made me think it's out, well I was wrong.
Just realized TODAY(!) it IS out!  ( bad librarian, bad, bad) So excited and will download it asap.
My hubby also read Ashes, first YA book ever for him and he LOVED it. Next he read Hunger Games and said he liked Ashes better. So he's going to be happy when I download it, too.

This is the same librarian that never smiles, never "gets" my jokes, and seems to live in his own space. What's up with that?

Uhhh... no, your librarian was quite correct. SHADOWS comes out in September, Dave read an arc.
#41 - April 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

CaroleB

Oh.
Crud. 
:ranting:
Read this and thought I could order it. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11320138-shadows
Got all excited for naught.  My bad.
Well, he still doesn't seem like a happy librarian, but I stand corrected.  :paperbag
#42 - April 24, 2012, 06:36 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I generally don't do book promos on my blog, but Ashes stayed with me  so long that I did a post about it a couple of weeks ago http://annebingham.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/book-i-wish-id-written/

(FWIW: This post went up a few days before a thread with a similar title was started on the Blueboards..just so you know I'm not glomming other people's thread titles!)
#43 - April 24, 2012, 08:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Nice post, AnneB, I'm gonna tweet about it! :-)
#44 - April 24, 2012, 03:26 PM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Members: