SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

sci fi craft

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
Hi All,

I'm wondering about sources online that speak to technical and craft issues in writing sci fi in particular. Does anyone know of sci fi authors who blog a lot on more crafty issues (craft-y, I guess I mean)? Boards that focus on adult sci fi craft issues are cool too.

Keith
#1 - September 28, 2011, 10:26 AM
Keith McGowan, www.keithbooks.com

Google Orson Scott Card's writing site. He also has a great book about writing sci-fi and fantasy-- with a lot of worldbuilding tips that more people should pay attention to.
#2 - September 28, 2011, 10:37 AM
S.J. Kincaid, INSIGNIA
(July 10, 2012, Katherine Tegen Books)
http://www.sjkincaid.com

Science Fiction Writers of America site has some good articles on related subjects, including craft:

http://www.sfwa.org/

Hope that helps.

#3 - September 28, 2011, 11:47 AM

Yep, I was going to say Orson Scott Card, too.
#4 - September 28, 2011, 04:34 PM

Simon Haynes

You might like to check the sfnovelists.com group blog. Every post is by a published novelist, many of them writing in the science fiction genre. (Excuse the most recent post - it was my turn to blog!)
#5 - September 28, 2011, 07:54 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
D'oh! Keith, I can't believe I didn't mention SFNovelists.com. It's not a forum, but if you have any questions you'd like the authors to address, I will be happy to pass them along. We're always looking for new topics to discuss.

Hey, Simon! Didn't know you were here.

Jenn
#6 - September 29, 2011, 01:02 PM
Above World, 2/2012, Candlewick
Mirage (Book 2), 3/2013
Horizon (Book 3), 4/2014

Simon Haynes

D'oh! Keith, I can't believe I didn't mention SFNovelists.com. It's not a forum, but if you have any questions you'd like the authors to address, I will be happy to pass them along. We're always looking for new topics to discuss.

Hey, Simon! Didn't know you were here.

Jenn

Don't worry, I only joined this week. Enjoying the boards so far though.

Cheers
Simon

#7 - September 29, 2011, 05:20 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks so much all, SJ and Eric and Jaina and Simon and Jenn. Jenn, I'm not sure I have specific questions in mind so much as I'm wondering if browsing through sci fi blogs and all might just twist my mind a little as I work on a related manuscript, but when something pops up that could be an interesting topic I'll definitely let you know! Okay, off to check out the sites now. Please if others have even more suggestions, keep going! Thanks much.
#8 - September 30, 2011, 06:12 AM
Keith McGowan, www.keithbooks.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
There are forums like this one for SFWA members--you could join as your book is fantasy.
#9 - September 30, 2011, 06:22 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Members: