SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Ants go marching

Discussion started on

kathym44

I'm wondering if the song, "The Ants Go Marching" is still a familiar song for little kids?

Thanks!
#1 - September 29, 2011, 04:53 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
All 4 of mine know it, very well, and will sing it to you.  Even if you don't ask.  Ad nauseum.   :help
#2 - September 29, 2011, 05:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My 12-year-old started singing "the ants go marching round and round" because of the part "the ant go marching down and around..." so we will give her partial credit, like a three out of ten.
#3 - September 29, 2011, 06:34 PM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Pre-K teacher here--We sing it all the time.  Great for numbers/counting, and yanno, just getting out the door to the playground!                      :drum:

:partytime
#4 - September 29, 2011, 06:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
In the pre-K class I worked in, the teacher had a spray bottle and "rained" on the kids when they got to that part.   :rain   
#5 - September 29, 2011, 09:20 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
There's rain in the Ants Go Marching?

Laurel
#6 - September 30, 2011, 02:35 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Last line of each verse:  "And they all went marching down into the ground to get out of the rain."  I'm thinking that's when the teacher sprinkled the kids?   :rain
#7 - September 30, 2011, 03:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
How interesting. We always sang, "Round and round and in the ground and through the drain and out again."

I love regional differences.

Laurel
#8 - September 30, 2011, 04:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
This was in SoCal, and the CD had the "to get out of the rain" line.  Yeah, I thought the sprayer was a cute idea. 
#9 - September 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:42 PM by yarnspinner »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Well, I guess it isn't a regional difference. I'm in SoCal, too.
#10 - September 30, 2011, 10:56 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Cool, Laurel, I'd never heard that version before!
#11 - October 01, 2011, 05:19 AM

kathym44

In the pre-K class I worked in, the teacher had a spray bottle and "rained" on the kids when they got to that part.   :rain   

Love that idea! I've been an early childhood teacher for years, but it's been a while since I've used this song with kids. Wasn't sure if it was still popular. I currently teach kindergarteners who are deaf and hard-of-hearing. Would love to try out the spray bottle thing, but most of them wear cochlear implants, which can't get wet.

The reason I'm asking about the song is for a pb idea I have. Do any of you remember the "Boom Boom Boom!" at the very end.... "And they all go marching down into the ground to get out of the rain. Boom! Boom! Boom!"

Thanks for your help!
#12 - October 01, 2011, 06:36 AM

jeffman

When I sang this at summer camp (early 1970s) the booms were more like "dum dum dum" at the end of every verse, sung as three rising bass notes to modulate (bring your voice back) to the beginning of the next verse.
#13 - October 01, 2011, 07:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
When I sang this at summer camp (early 1970s) the booms were more like "dum dum dum" at the end of every verse, sung as three rising bass notes to modulate (bring your voice back) to the beginning of the next verse.

Ditto for me, except that ours was more of a "bum, bum, bum."

Laurel
#14 - October 01, 2011, 07:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
We are familiar with that song in our house as well. When I learned it (and the way we still sing it) is more of a 'bum, bum, bum" or almost 'bom, bom, bom'. And yes, our ants do march down into the ground to get out of the rain.

Carrie
#15 - October 02, 2011, 04:50 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Members: