SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture books on friends moving away?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Anyone know of any titles relevant to friends moving away?  My kiddos are experiencing this with friends who live in the neighborhood.  I can ask our librarian for titles, but thought BBers might have some suggestions to offer up.  Thanks!

-Kellie
#1 - September 30, 2011, 07:20 AM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Making the Moose Out of Life by Nicholas Oldland (Kids Can Press) is one you could try (for young kids). Here's the blurb:

Mild-mannered Moose never joins his friends when they go puddle jumping, kite flying, or skiing. He always feels like he is missing out on something, but he's not certain what. When he sets out alone in a sailboat, he drifts along until he's caught up in a raging storm. He battles the sea and is washed away to a deserted island. It's here that he learns how to fend for himself and he meets a new friend, a tortoise named Tuesday. They swim, surf, and roast coconuts together. When Moose is rescued by a cruise ship, he embraces shipboard life, taking part in all of the activities. Finally, he returns to his former friends and is now ready to join them and have some fun.

It's nice because it deals with friend separation without being too in your face. (Nicholas Oldand's other book, Big Bear Hug, about loving trees, is in my TOP FIVE best ever picture books, love it.)

Or We Are Best Friends by Aliki is another one. And My Best Friend Moved Away. Can't remember the author.

I can't think of any recently published books about this topic, though. I'd love to hear about new ones too, maybe funny ones. Those I've read tend to the deep and meaningful, but I think it'd be nice to read some humour in relation to this too.
#2 - September 30, 2011, 07:45 AM

maegabby

One of my all time favorites is Annie Bananie by Leah Komaiko....A hilarious and moving story about a little girl who is moving away and her best friend who has to cope with the loss.  Funny, sad, charming.  Great illustrations by Laura Cornell.

#3 - September 30, 2011, 09:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Thanks, Siski and Maegabby!
#4 - September 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Members: