SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Who's your favorite picture book author?

Discussion started on

amylilbit

I've recently discovered Karma Wilson (how it took me this long, I have no idea!) and am enjoying checking out her vast assortment of books from the library week-by-week. I just love her stories from both a story and writer viewpoint. I'm a rhymer by nature so her books speak to my writer voice, if that makes sense. I just love them!

So....who is your favorite picture book author?
#1 - September 30, 2011, 12:28 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I enjoyed BEAR SNORES ON--I'll have to look into more of Karma Wilson's books!

One of my favorites is Linda Ashman. She's another rhymer so you might enjoy her as well. 
#2 - September 30, 2011, 12:42 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Mike Jung

Hard to name just one, but the list includes Adam Rex, Liz Garton Scanlon, Tammi Sauer, Deborah Underwood, Kelly DiPucchio, Boni Ashburn, Todd Parr, Peter Brown, Jon Scieszka, and a thousand more.
#3 - September 30, 2011, 12:56 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
As a kid I was enthralled by Dr. Seuss. Nowadays I really like Colin McNaughton. His stories are just so imaginative and comedic, I love them.
#4 - September 30, 2011, 03:22 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I've really come to love Julia Donaldson--her language is so wonderful and her stories are too, put it together and her picture books are really amazing.
#5 - October 01, 2011, 10:11 AM
Keith McGowan, www.keithbooks.com

Hands down EVE BUNTING for me!
She writes across the board, and even goes into the older children's genre too! She has written everything from homeless to racial division to butterfiles to ??? You get the point.
I even wrote her a gushing fan letter in my earlier writing career. TO MY SURPRISE, I got an email from her, thanking me for my letter, wishing me happy holidays, and good luck with my writing.
YEP, I printed it out and have it framed!!!
I've always said that children's writers are some of the bestest people on earth.  :biggrin:
#6 - October 02, 2011, 10:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Julia Donaldson - never read anything of hers I didn't love. Also William Bee. Nicholas Oldland. Polly Dunbar. Boni Ashburn. Giles Andrae. Marie-Louise Gay. So many. Too many!
#7 - October 03, 2011, 11:03 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Aside from those I see as obvious choices like Mo Willems or Maurice Sendak or Kevin Henkes?  (And not including friends so I don't leave anyone out.)

Bob Graham.  Holly Keller.  Pat Hutchins. 
#8 - October 03, 2011, 11:24 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Aside from those I see as obvious choices like Mo Willems or Maurice Sendak or Kevin Henkes?  (And not including friends so I don't leave anyone out.)

Bob Graham.  Holly Keller.  Pat Hutchins. 

Maybe this is just coincidence, but were you aware that all your choices are author/illustrators? Many of mine are too. I guess it shows that illustration combined with writing can be especially magical when a person has both skills. Or... it may just indicate that authors often get paired with a variety of different illustrators making it more difficult for us to love all their work? Hmmm. Interesting!
#9 - October 03, 2011, 11:50 AM

Ravyn2002

There's actually several BB's on my list. Tammi Sauer and Pam Calvert to name a few. I also love Lisa Wheeler, Cynthia Rylant, and Jon Sciescka.  Picture Book Authors in general are awesome :exclamationpoint:
#10 - October 03, 2011, 12:34 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Maybe this is just coincidence, but were you aware that all your choices are author/illustrators?

Yup.  But in this case, I'm speaking more of text.
#11 - October 03, 2011, 12:51 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Verla Kay and Danna K. Smith
#12 - October 04, 2011, 08:37 AM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

My daughter and I love Laurie Keller's books...Especially how her little tidbits of humor all over the page let you spend more that just ten minutes with the book.
#13 - October 04, 2011, 08:48 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Good question. I am going to show my age by naming some authors/illustrators from years ago but whose work shouldn't be missed by today's kids.

Leo Lionni: His SWIMMY is a masterpiece of story and illustrations, working their magic together.
Bill Peet: THE WUMP WORLD is one of my favorites from this prolific and talented man.
Ezra Jack Keats: Without his wonderful stories, my children and I would have an empty hole in our lives.
Tasha Tudor: She did so many sweet stories with charming illustations.
Beatrice Potter: The real stories with her original art should be part of kids' lives.
#14 - November 02, 2011, 09:06 PM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

ecb

Hard to name just one, but the list includes Adam Rex, Liz Garton Scanlon, Tammi Sauer, Deborah Underwood, Kelly DiPucchio, Boni Ashburn, Todd Parr, Peter Brown, Jon Scieszka, and a thousand more.

Adding to Mike's list, I'm going to say Sandra Boynton (another author/illustrator) and the BB's own Jean Reidy. As a novelist who writes looooong, there's something almost magical about their ability to tell complete stories in so few perfect words.
#15 - November 03, 2011, 04:18 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Lots of my favorites are already mentioned, so I'll add Ruth Brown, Rosemary Wells, Lola Schaefer, Nancy Shaw. When we moved, I couldn't part with many PBs because so many memories and emotions are associated with them. My kids and I still read PBs even though they're in middle school.

Vijaya
#16 - November 03, 2011, 05:29 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Aud

I really like the ones that make me laugh: Bob Shea, Mo Willems. Kevin Henkes. I wish I had a girl on that list...
#17 - November 03, 2011, 05:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Aud...I'll give you some female PB authors (and illustrators) that make me laugh....

Laurie Keller
Melanie Watt
Doreen Cronin
#18 - November 03, 2011, 06:49 AM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Adding to Mike's list, I'm going to say Sandra Boynton (another author/illustrator) and the BB's own Jean Reidy. As a novelist who writes looooong, there's something almost magical about their ability to tell complete stories in so few perfect words.

Elizabeth - Thanks for this sweet shout out. I'm completely honored!
Jean
#19 - November 03, 2011, 08:34 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Peggy Rathman -- my kids are tweens and teens now, but we still quote Gloria and officer Buckle.
#20 - November 04, 2011, 06:57 AM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Oliver Jeffers is another of our very favorites. He's an author/illustrator, and his books are consistently beautiful.
#21 - December 15, 2011, 06:32 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Chris VanAllsburg, David Shannon, Cynthia Rylant
#22 - January 06, 2012, 04:44 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Bob Shea, William Bee, Lauren Child, Janet and Allan Ahlberg (Burglar Bill is a fave here), Anthony Brown...Loads more I can't think of at the mo...
#23 - January 06, 2012, 05:05 AM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Barbara Berger.....Love her work, especially Grandfather Twilight!

Jane Yolen.....Love her work, too.....especially Owl Moon!

Both authors write so beautifully.
#24 - January 06, 2012, 05:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Audrey Wood....Margaret Wise Brown....Jan Brett
#25 - January 06, 2012, 05:28 AM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Thanks for the wonderful shout-outs. It means a lot--especially coming from this crowd.  :confetti
#26 - January 06, 2012, 07:11 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I have hundreds of favorites. When my kids were little, I had a tendency to reach for authors like Elsa Beskow, Robert McCloskey, Barbara Helen Berger, Jane Yolen, and anything with illustrations by Salley Mavor. The Hollyhock Wall is our all time favorite picture book. Jama Rattigan's Dumpling Soup is another forever favorite.

But when it comes time to buy for my nieces and nephews, I grab a Tammi Sauer book. She had me with Cowboy Camp and I've loved every book since. My nieces and nephews have too!
#27 - January 07, 2012, 08:44 AM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Jennifer, you made my day! Have those nieces and nephews of yours clear some shelf-space. I have five coming out in 2012. Yikes.

Me Want Pet! (March, 2012)
Bawk and Roll (April, 2012)
Princess in Training (October, 2012)
Oh, Nuts! (?, 2012)
The Twelve Days of Christmas in Oklahoma (?, 2012)

#28 - January 07, 2012, 10:09 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Members: