SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

ASB Cards Help!

Discussion started on

In my WIP I reference the teens using an ASB card to get a discount on the price of a school football game ticket. When I was in school, it was a school ID card that you could buy and it would give you a discount to all the different events the school put on, like a football game. I've asked around, and most people know what it is, and I've talked to a few teen parents who say that their teen has one and that they are still used. However, I'm doing revisions on my ms and almost all of my crit partners don't know what this is.  So I have two questions, is it called something else in other states? And, what's the general consensus for something like this, meaning should I pull it since about half know what it is and half don't? It's a small part, but it's one element that works into the whole rich/poor thing of my ms.
Thanks!
#1 - October 05, 2011, 12:39 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I didn't know what it was until after you explained it. Then I understood completely. If you explain it the first time it's used in the book, I'd think it would be fine for most readers. I have heard of cards similar to what you are talking about (mostly for college instead of HS), but usually as part of a student ID, rather than a separate card. But it shouldn't matter. It's fiction and you can make up stuff if it works for the world you have and it's clear to the reader what it is. A couple of things to think about though: If your novel is set in an area that has this card and it's called an ASB card, then it makes sense to use it and call it that. If your novel is set in a different area that doesn't have those cards, or they are called something else, then you might need to change the name.
#2 - October 05, 2011, 12:46 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

I had an ASB card and my kids have an ASB card (they are 10 and under). I've heard them called Student ID's also. We never had to buy them - you just get them when you get your school pictures. We live in Seattle.

FWIW - I was just watching the most current season of Friday Night Lights (*takes a moment to sob that it's over*) and the kids had "student ID's" that were needed to get into the gym for a dance. The girl that was suspended had had hers taken away for the duration of the suspension. Anyway - they're prevalent enough that they were used in that episode...
#3 - October 05, 2011, 01:27 PM
Robin

Member.
Poster Plus
I grew up in California, and I've never heard of an ASB card (though I did have a student ID from junior high onward)...
#4 - October 05, 2011, 02:08 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I'm so old everyone just knew us.

Ha! That's how it was when I went to school too! (At least until college, where I think we had them, but honestly, I'm not sure.)
#5 - October 05, 2011, 08:42 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you all weighing in. I did change it to just a student ID, versus the ASB card, which means Associated Student Body. In the school I went to, the price of the money raised from the ASB cards went to the students by way of dances, school functions, parties, etc.

MysteryRobin, I'm in washington too, south king county! What part of Seattle are you in?

Thanks again everyone!!
#6 - October 05, 2011, 09:39 PM

Hi Tara!! *waves* I'm in south Snohomish county! About 20 minutes north of Seattle!! :)
#7 - October 05, 2011, 10:10 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
That's odd--I'm from SoCal, and I knew what ASB meant.  At the local high school, it can get you into the football games for free.  But student ID is a good generic term.
#8 - October 05, 2011, 10:41 PM

Hi Tara!! *waves* I'm in south Snohomish county! About 20 minutes north of Seattle!! :)

Hey, I grew up in Edmonds! I still have family up in that direction, and in Shoreline.  Small world! :clap:
#9 - October 05, 2011, 10:51 PM

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Poster Plus
Hi Tara!

All my kids HAD to get a student ID and are supposed to have it with them. An optional ASB sticker, for the same discounts mentioned, can be bought as well and goes on the card. My son, a freshman, didn't need one this year because he plays the sports he'd go to see and gets a discount on dances through his position in student government, yet he still wanted us to buy one.  :confused2
#10 - October 06, 2011, 03:21 AM

It's called a Booster Pass at my school - anyone can buy it
#11 - October 06, 2011, 08:03 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
FWIW, our high school is implementing a policy where the kids have to wear their student IDs on a lanyard so that they are visible at all times. We have a large (2800 kids) urbanish school and they're trying to keep track of non-students on campus. We also have about 70% of our kids on free and reduced lunch and the school is VERY careful not to implement anything that would call out the kids with no money - ie: Booster Cards. You still have to pay to get into dances and things, but buying a card that would get you a discount is a no-no around here because of equity issues. I'm starting a book club, and have to make sure that every kid who wants to join can get a copy of the book without having to pay for it.
#12 - October 13, 2011, 12:44 PM
Transcendence (Walker) - June 2012
Sequel (Walker) - June 2013
Dirty Little Secrets (Walker) - Feb 2010
6:00 in SF - 2009
www.cjomololu.com

My kids had to wear an ID starting in middle school. It's used to keep track of anyone who doesn't belong on campus but they also use it to access their lunch accounts. We don't have any sort of discount cards or stickers though. I think the equity issue someone raised would also be a problem here if they attempted that. Of course, that doesn't stop the school from charging $50 for a student parking permit and $100 for the special "senior only" spots. But I digress . . . grrrr
#13 - October 13, 2011, 03:29 PM

Members: