SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Teacher needs book rec's...

Discussion started on

...for a freshman girl reading a few grades behind her level. She likes romance and fantasy, combined I assume. Thanks!
#1 - October 05, 2011, 01:17 PM
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"
http://lauramanivong.wordpress.com

I just read Gail Carson Levine's Fairest. It had both romance and fantasy and while categorized as "teen" it was for the romance, I think, not reading level. Harry Potter comes to mind, of course. Maybe, too, some of Meg Cabot's books? I think they're lots of fun for a highschool girl and not terribly hard to read. Maybe Helene Boudreau's Real Mermaid's Don't Wear Toe Rings? Or the Emily Windsnap mermaid books?
#2 - October 05, 2011, 01:32 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Depending on how far below grade level she is, I have a few thoughts. Probably best for a reluctant reader who's a bit behind would be Lisa Schroeder's novels in verse - I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME; CHASING BROOKLYN, and THE DAY BEFORE. Also Wendy Mass's novel in verse, HEAVEN LOOKS A LOT LIKE THE MALL. 

If she's only two or three grade levels behind, she should also be able to enjoy some of these paranormal romance titles:

THE MERMAID'S MIRROR by L.K. Madigan
NEED series from Carrie Jones (all the allure of Twilight, only with pixies and a stronger, smarter heroine!)
SHIVER series from Maggie Stiefvater
ASH by Malinda Lo
SILVER PHOENIX by Cindy Pon
HUSH, HUSH series by Becca Fitzpatrick
WINGS by Aprilynne Pike
THE REVENANT by Sonia Gensler (ghost story/romance!)

I will keep thinking...
#3 - October 05, 2011, 06:45 PM
www.katemessner.com

OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW, Chronicle
MARTY MCGUIRE
CAPTURE THE FLAG
HIDE AND SEEK -Scholastic '13
WAKE UP MISSING- Walker, Fall '13

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
I can second MysteryRobin on Gail Carson Levine.

She does a good job of combining romance and fantasy and I'd say her books hit the reading level that you're looking for. My favorite is ELLA ENCHANTED.  :moose
#4 - October 05, 2011, 06:53 PM

ecb

I was going to suggest Gail Carson Levine, too, and along those same lines, she'd probably also like Deva Fagan and Julie Berry. She might give some Tamora Pierce a try; many of her books are more YA in content, but some series, like the Protector of the Small books, are more tween. For lighter reading, Simon Pulse has a whole series of retold fairy tales called "Once Upon a Time" that would be a good fit.
#5 - October 06, 2011, 12:25 AM

Hourglass (new this year).

#6 - October 06, 2011, 03:10 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
A big YES to Meg Cabot! (Good call, Robin!) She's written about a million YA books, all easy and fun reads. Some have fantasy elements, some don't - there are plenty of both to choose from.
She might also like Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series, starting with I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU. They're about a girl who goes to a school for spies.
Great idea on the verse novels, Kate! I've heard that Sonya Sones's YA verse novels are good, too.
My last idea is graphic novels. I don't read too many of them, but I recently read Vera Brosgol's ANYA'S GHOST and I think it's a great fit. Maybe someone else here can add some more graphic novel rec's.
#7 - October 06, 2011, 07:46 AM
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:09 AM by Laurenwrites »

Ooo, seconding the Ally Carter books! Also wanted to mention that Levine has 2 books in the Disney Fairy series that suit both older and younger kids and are so much fun to read. There's a little romance with Tinkerbell and Terrence, too. :)
#8 - October 06, 2011, 01:21 PM
Robin

These are great! I like the novels in verse idea so I think I'll rec some Lisa Schroeder too. Thanks, all!!
#9 - October 11, 2011, 08:27 AM
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"
http://lauramanivong.wordpress.com

Members: