SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Teacher needs book rec's...

Discussion started on

...for a freshman girl reading a few grades behind her level. She likes romance and fantasy, combined I assume. Thanks!
#1 - October 05, 2011, 01:17 PM
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"

I just read Gail Carson Levine's Fairest. It had both romance and fantasy and while categorized as "teen" it was for the romance, I think, not reading level. Harry Potter comes to mind, of course. Maybe, too, some of Meg Cabot's books? I think they're lots of fun for a highschool girl and not terribly hard to read. Maybe Helene Boudreau's Real Mermaid's Don't Wear Toe Rings? Or the Emily Windsnap mermaid books?
#2 - October 05, 2011, 01:32 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Depending on how far below grade level she is, I have a few thoughts. Probably best for a reluctant reader who's a bit behind would be Lisa Schroeder's novels in verse - I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME; CHASING BROOKLYN, and THE DAY BEFORE. Also Wendy Mass's novel in verse, HEAVEN LOOKS A LOT LIKE THE MALL. 

If she's only two or three grade levels behind, she should also be able to enjoy some of these paranormal romance titles:

NEED series from Carrie Jones (all the allure of Twilight, only with pixies and a stronger, smarter heroine!)
SHIVER series from Maggie Stiefvater
ASH by Malinda Lo
HUSH, HUSH series by Becca Fitzpatrick
WINGS by Aprilynne Pike
THE REVENANT by Sonia Gensler (ghost story/romance!)

I will keep thinking...
#3 - October 05, 2011, 06:45 PM

HIDE AND SEEK -Scholastic '13
WAKE UP MISSING- Walker, Fall '13

Sarah C. Pilon
Poster Plus
I can second MysteryRobin on Gail Carson Levine.

She does a good job of combining romance and fantasy and I'd say her books hit the reading level that you're looking for. My favorite is ELLA ENCHANTED.  :moose
#4 - October 05, 2011, 06:53 PM

I was going to suggest Gail Carson Levine, too, and along those same lines, she'd probably also like Deva Fagan and Julie Berry. She might give some Tamora Pierce a try; many of her books are more YA in content, but some series, like the Protector of the Small books, are more tween. For lighter reading, Simon Pulse has a whole series of retold fairy tales called "Once Upon a Time" that would be a good fit.
#5 - October 06, 2011, 12:25 AM

Hourglass (new this year).

#6 - October 06, 2011, 03:10 AM
Just One More Page

Poster Plus
A big YES to Meg Cabot! (Good call, Robin!) She's written about a million YA books, all easy and fun reads. Some have fantasy elements, some don't - there are plenty of both to choose from.
She might also like Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series, starting with I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU. They're about a girl who goes to a school for spies.
Great idea on the verse novels, Kate! I've heard that Sonya Sones's YA verse novels are good, too.
My last idea is graphic novels. I don't read too many of them, but I recently read Vera Brosgol's ANYA'S GHOST and I think it's a great fit. Maybe someone else here can add some more graphic novel rec's.
#7 - October 06, 2011, 07:46 AM
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:09 AM by Laurenwrites »

Ooo, seconding the Ally Carter books! Also wanted to mention that Levine has 2 books in the Disney Fairy series that suit both older and younger kids and are so much fun to read. There's a little romance with Tinkerbell and Terrence, too. :)
#8 - October 06, 2011, 01:21 PM

These are great! I like the novels in verse idea so I think I'll rec some Lisa Schroeder too. Thanks, all!!
#9 - October 11, 2011, 08:27 AM
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"