SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights - how do I submit a change of address?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Does anyone know how I'd submit a change of address to Highlights? I sold a short story to them a few months ago. Since then, I've moved. Do I just send a note to the fiction editor or is there another department that handles address changes? Don't want to miss out on my contributor copies - though I know that's probably a few years away - or any other correspondence related to my story...
#1 - October 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'd say send them a letter explaining the situation and include a copy of your contract so they can reference the work in question.  For the sake of assuring yourself they got it, you could prepare and include a self-address-stamped postcard that they can return to you confirming they've changed your address. 
#2 - October 23, 2011, 03:16 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
When I moved, I called and asked them to update my contact info in their system. 

Laura
#3 - October 23, 2011, 06:14 PM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT ARK
 GOODNIGHT MANGER
LOVE IS KIND
 DIVA DELORES & THE OPERA HOUSE MOUSE

I called them, too, even though my email remained the same. I hoped they'd let me know if/when my stories ever appeared, but they never did.  I assume the stories did not appear.
#4 - October 24, 2011, 06:23 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Rebecca, Laura and Jaina! This is really helpful.
Jaina, you've probably already thought of this but did you check their online archive to see if your stories were published? I assume they list all publications but I'm not sure how far back it goes.
#5 - October 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Jaina, you've probably already thought of this but did you check their online archive to see if your stories were published? I assume they list all publications but I'm not sure how far back it goes.

You'll know if they publish them; for one thing, they send you the final proofs so you can double check them about six or so months before the story runs. Also, they send you contributor copies in the mail. (Unless you're saying you missed it because of the change of addy....)
#6 - October 24, 2011, 12:54 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

I've been published by them in the past and got my proofs and my contributor copy just fine.  I'm saying they've bought other stories that they never published--OR maybe I just didn't get any proofs or contributor copies because I've moved several times since I sold the stories.  I do still have the same email, so I'm hoping they'd email me if they needed to reach me.

I'd search the archives online but every time I find a link it just takes me to the main Highlights page for the current issue.  If anyone has a direct link to where I can search an archive, I'd love one!
#7 - October 24, 2011, 01:39 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Jaina, it's possible they're still holding your story for the 'perfect' issue. I heard one lady say that it took ten years for one of her stories to be published.
#8 - October 24, 2011, 05:09 PM

When you visit Highlights for a tour (such as during the wonderful Foundation workshops), they show you a large area of tall vertical file cabinets that hold all the stories and articles they've bought over the years that haven't yet been published. I believe they said the oldest, at that time, was from 20 years back.

I have an article that's been on hold for about three years and know that I could be in for a long wait... The great thing about Highlights is that they do pay, promptly, upon acceptance of a story, unlike some other magazines that pay only when a story is published, and often after very long delays. I love that Highlights has such respect for its writers. As long as they have a writer's email address, I'm sure they'd contact you, even if it's been a long time--as  leahmiapia said, they're in touch to show you the final proofs. I believe they said they work about nine months in advance of an issue.

BTW, the best way to know what articles are in Highlights is to subscribe. I understand not everyone can to afford to do so, but if you can, supporting a magazine that does so much to help writers is in all of our best interests (or at least those of us who write for children's magazines.) I'm sure they're feeling the economic pinch just like everyone else these days.
#9 - October 24, 2011, 05:28 PM

I want to make it clear--I'm in no way complaining about Highlights.  They have every right to print or not print my stories.  They paid for them and they've always been very generous and kind to me, both in feedback and in buying my work and in their stellar treatment at Chautauqua.  My husband has also attended one of their conferences, as a matter of fact, and he loved the Highlights folks as much as I did (he called me up during the conference and said "Can we MOVE here?").

The stories in question were sold about seven years ago.  I haven't gotten an email, so I assume the editorial staff hasn't needed to reach me in order to get me proofs or contributor copies.  I assume this is true because the stories probably haven't appeared.  No problem.
#10 - October 24, 2011, 06:51 PM

Jaina, please don't think I was suggesting you were complaining! I think I'd be concerned too if I moved.

I also wasn't directing my comment about subscriptions to you--it's really to all of us who write for magazines. I hope Highlights will be around for another hundred years, but I worry about any magazine's viability in this day and age. And Highlights is so clearly the best market for children's magazine writers (and obviously a great magazine for kids!) that I think it makes sense to get a subscription for about a $30 a year--to know what sort of stories they're publishing and to actively support them. I also subscribe to Pockets, because I think it's a terrific magazine and another one that treats writers very fairly.
#11 - October 24, 2011, 07:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I e-mailed them recently to check on a story I sold in 2000.  They said it's still in the active file, at least.

You can contact them by mail, phone or e-mail.

Christine
#12 - October 24, 2011, 11:08 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I e-mailed them recently to check on a story I sold in 2000.  They said it's still in the active file, at least.

That makes me feel better, Christine. I sold two in 2004 and one in 2006 that have not yet been printed. Some day....:)
#13 - October 24, 2011, 11:27 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
To the OP: I just moved and sent out emails to the editors whom I've worked with and they said they'll take care of it. I have stories pending publication in both the Carus and Highlights mags and some of them are well past five years! My kids are growing up too fast, I complained once to one of the editors, since I have written a lot of family stories that are "theirs."

Vijaya
#14 - October 25, 2011, 06:02 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, everyone! I think I'll send them a letter with an SASE so I get a confirmation back. My new address is easily misspelled so that's probably better for me.

Jaina, the index archive link that I used last month doesn't seem to work anymore. It looks like they're redoing part of their website so now the archive link goes to their homepage as you mentioned. I hope they didn't get rid of the archive index. I thought it was a pretty useful tool. Is anyone able to still access their archive index?

10-20 years until publication? Yikes! I hope I don't have to wait that long. I was thinking 3 to 6 years...
#15 - October 25, 2011, 08:46 AM
Anita N. Amin

AKM

I agree with a subscription to Highlights being a support to everything we are all trying to accomplish.  I finally cracked the Highlights finish line and sold them something this year.  I have had a subscription with Highlights for years, but my children are growing up too fast as well.  When I sold the piece my children asked when it would be in 'their' magazine and I thought we may see it when someone is graduating from college!

Alice
#16 - November 07, 2011, 07:01 AM

Thank you, Cindoh. You convinced me to renew my subscription to Highlights. I also got High Five.
#17 - November 07, 2011, 08:04 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

There's a great deal right now--$15 a year for either of the magazines. http://www.highlights.com/landing/friends-and-family

Do you know the code for that offer? You have to enter one in the box.
#19 - November 07, 2011, 08:39 AM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Rats! I didn't notice that... I'm so sorry. I received an email from Highlights with the offer a week or two ago that must have had the code, but I deleted it. If I receive another, I'll be sure to pass it along here WITH THE CODE.
#20 - November 07, 2011, 08:44 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Here it is: ZEMHAY
#21 - November 07, 2011, 08:50 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Thanks! I got that email too. Didn't seem to work for getting both magazines, however. Or maybe I did something wrong. Still a great deal!

Also... glad you asked, Starfish, because I'll probably be moving soon as well.
#23 - November 07, 2011, 04:55 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Members: