SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Amnio in the hospital...

Discussion started on

Any nurses out there? I have a character who is having her baby 8 weeks early. The baby is going to be ok, and I know that some premies do just fine born that early, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about procedure in the hospital? She's in labor after having her water break due to complications, and I'm wondering if they'd do an amnio to check for lung maturity and if that result would come back quicky. I've done research but a lot is conflicting because it so depends on the situation. I can do a soft focus on the details if I need to because it's a minor plot, but I'd like her to get the amnio, then go ahead with the pitocin to continue labor (because of the water breaking) And I'm wondering if that's feasible.

Thanks!
#1 - October 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
Robin

blythe

Not a nurse, but if her "waters have broken" that means the amnion is ruptured and the amniotic fluid is leaking out -- doesn't seem to be any point in sampling the fluid via a needle draw. I had a diagnostic amnio well before labor, though, so I suppose it's possible. Consult an obstetrics/perinatal textbook if a nurse doesn't get back to you.
#2 - October 24, 2011, 11:39 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
My water broke at 34 weeks due to group B strep amnionitis and I very definitely got pitocin.  I have no idea about the amnio test, however.

Of course, this was 17 years ago.  She did have RDS and pneumonia and eventually got surfactant in the NICU, which at that point was experimental.

So I guess I'm not really being very helpful!
#3 - October 25, 2011, 04:36 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Robin, my dad is a neonatologist. Email this to me, and I'll forward to him. :)
#4 - October 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm not a nurse, but even when the water breaks, sometimes, they take a sterile sample to check for infection or toxins. This happened to my friend whose water broke at 26 weeks. Baby was born prematurely, but they discovered she had a massive infection. Baby was treated immediately. Luckily, the baby boy survived and is now a strapping 13-yr-old.

Vijaya
#5 - October 25, 2011, 05:05 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thank you all so much for your answers - it helps tremendously!
#6 - October 26, 2011, 10:38 AM
Robin

Member.
Poster Plus
I went into the hospital with complications while the baby was 10 weeks early.  They did not give me another amnio, they just went ahead and administered the shots to speed up lung maturity. 
#7 - October 28, 2011, 09:32 PM

Members: