SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do teens know Al Pacino?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm considering making a reference to Al Pacino in my YA novel - would teens be pretty familiar with him? Any reason not to use Al Pacino (ie, is he established enough as a cultural icon to be referenced?)
#1 - October 24, 2011, 10:38 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Boy, I dunno... that seems like a generation too far back. What's Al been in lately that a 15-year old would have seen?
#2 - October 24, 2011, 10:49 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Is it a small reference? If you have a character in love with Al Pacino and would quote movies from him then it might be fine but you would need a decent amount of set up to make it believeable. For a small reference you might look for something more recent.
#3 - October 24, 2011, 11:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about it since kids can google it. If it's clear from context that he's a famous actor, that's all they need.

#4 - October 25, 2011, 04:03 AM

We are "Godfather" fans in my house. My teens would know his name only because of that movie.
#5 - October 25, 2011, 04:34 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Scarface is extremely popular among the young people my husband teaches--age 14/15 wanna-be gangstas or whatever you'd describe them as.  Look up "Scarface T-shirt" online and you'll find lots of merchandise.  I'm willing to bet Pacino would be known, at least among a portion of teenagers.
#6 - October 25, 2011, 05:34 AM

jeffman

My 14-yr-old knows of him and knows that he's famous for "mob roles."
#7 - October 25, 2011, 06:50 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
Yes. I agree they will google it if they do not know.
#8 - November 18, 2011, 02:35 PM

Members: