SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

About PM notifications

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I used to get an email notification if I got a message, but for the past couple of months I haven't even though there are messages. I checked my profile and clicked on it for good measure, but I still don't get notified. I do check my email regularly, but I don't always sign into the BB if I'm busy. What else do I need to do?

Thanks for your help,
Vijaya
#1 - October 25, 2011, 06:06 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm curious about this, also. Notifications have suddenly stopped for me, too.
#2 - October 25, 2011, 06:09 AM

Anna M Lewis
Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Just wanted to add that I got email notification this morning. (Wonder who it was from???) And, then, when I just signed in, I got prompted to check out my messages. But, I've had 7 messages since I joined - years and years ago. I was looking yesterday to see if I could see what I wrote in a message - and if I actually sent it. I thought I pressed send and then it disappeared - I was worried that I had pressed delete. Is there a place to see what messages you have sent? Or, that they actually went out? Anna     See, I don't do a lot of messages, LOL.
#4 - October 25, 2011, 06:33 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I think if you *send* a message and want to keep a record, you have to specifically check a box for that message for it to be saved in your outbox. Otherwise, yes, it evaporates once it's sent.

We've had a couple of board updates lately. I wonder if the send notifications function got turned off then?
#5 - October 25, 2011, 06:34 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I took a peek and haven't figured out how to fix it yet.  Hopefully, we'll figure it out soon!

Got Art--if you go into your profile, you can change your personal message options to save a copy of all outgoing messages as your default, so you don't have to click a button with each message you send.
#6 - October 25, 2011, 06:43 AM

Anna M Lewis
Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Thanks, Mindy! Knew the answer was somewhere! LOL   
#7 - October 25, 2011, 07:22 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Ah, thanks from me, too, Mindy.

While I was there, switching my own outbox to save automatically, I checked to make sure I was supposed to be receiving notifications via e-mail. It's all set up to do that. But, it's not happening. So I think the problem (of not getting notifications) is somewhere above that.
#9 - October 25, 2011, 08:18 AM

Poster Plus
I've also noticed- speaking abt the emailing feature - that I can no longer email a topic to myself.

Does anyone else have that problem? 

#10 - October 25, 2011, 08:29 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
There was a recent program upgrade by the company that hosts the Blueboards, and I wonder if there isn't some connection there. In the meanwhile, it would be interesting to know what mail servers people are using, to see if there's a connection to that.  Are you on Yahoo, or g-mail, or...?  This doesn't seem to be a universal problem--I've continued to receive notifications of PMs--so maybe it's something external.
#11 - October 25, 2011, 09:04 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

jeffman

FWIW, I have been receiving notification of PMs in just the last few days. My email server is my personal web server, not a big public thing like Yahoo.
#12 - October 25, 2011, 09:16 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I use IE and Yahoo ... and will wait patiently to get things ironed out. It's not like I get hundreds of messages or anything :)
Thank you,
Vijaya
#13 - October 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I'm on AOL and do not receive notification, it only pops up when I log onto the BB.  Got Art mentioned a concern about accidentally deleting a response.  If a message was sent, under the subject line there will be a statement, "You have forwarded or responded to this message." 
#14 - October 25, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, fall 2018)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, winter 2018)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Vijaya--I'm on Yahoo also, and wondered if that might be the problem.  Does anyone on Yahoo receive e-mail notifications?

So far, we have an AOL without notifications, too. 
#15 - October 25, 2011, 10:17 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I've never tried e-mailing a topic to myself (what a fab idea, though! I wish I'd known that was possible; then I wouldn't have spent time cutting and pasting to save a thread of answers I really needed). However, I can weigh in on the other question--I have hotmail, and I've never had problems until just recently.
#16 - October 25, 2011, 11:03 AM

I used to get them, but they stopped. I have comcast.

Susan
#17 - October 25, 2011, 12:34 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Somebody can send a message to me as a test. I'm on AOL and I use Safari - MAC.

#18 - October 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Sent you one, Ena.
#19 - October 25, 2011, 01:14 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Members: