SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month)

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I had so much fun during Picture Book Idea Month last year, and can't believe it's about to start again...two days early!  The goal is to come up with 30 picture book ideas in November.  Tara Lazar has guest bloggers with inspirational and helpful posts each day, starting October 30th.  And if you sign up to join here: http://taralazar.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/piboidmo-official-sign-up-starts-today-right-here-right-now/ and make your goal, you can win prizes--including author critiques and feedback from agents!

This year, there's a PiBoIdMo Facebook group, where we can cheer each other on in addition to this Blueboard thread.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/265963663444660/

Last year, I came up with 38 ideas in November and wrote eight picture book manuscripts that are in various stages of revision.  There are a few more ideas I might use in the future...but I can't wait to see what new ones pop up this year!  It's amazing to have so many ideas to choose from whenever I'm ready to start a new manuscript. 

So, who is going to take the PiBoIdMo plunge? 
#1 - October 25, 2011, 07:52 PM

Ravyn2002

Mindy-

I'm gonna take the plunge for the first time this year! Thanks for sharing the FB group!  I will check it out.  Here's some sparkles  :star2 :star2 :star2 to help us get the creative juices flowing!
#2 - October 25, 2011, 08:45 PM

Hi Mindy!!!
I'll be there again.
I love this time of the year. Still working on a few ideas from last year too. Unfortunately work gets in the way. But one day.... *sigh*
#3 - October 25, 2011, 11:00 PM

Poster Plus
Just wanted to jump in with another encouragement for people to sign up for this great event. I have decided not to do it this year because I am in the middle of revisions with my editor on the picture book that I had the idea for during PiBoIdMo last year! So yes, it is a great way to get the creative juices flowing, and I am sure there are more PiBoIdMo success stories out there.

I'll be here cheering you on from the sidelines! :cheerleader
#4 - October 25, 2011, 11:12 PM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
This will be my third time participating. I can't say enough good things about PiBoIdMo. It has gotten me into the habit of generating ideas year round, although I still find my best ideas come out in November during the massive brainstorm that's PiBoIdMo. Tara and her guest bloggers are so inspiring, and it's hard not to find the motivation when so many fellow writers are participating and cheering each other on. I managed to develop four of my ideas into manuscripts this past year, and one of them went on to win the 2011 SCBWI Barbara Karlin grant. And the year before, Diana Murray, won the Barbara Karlin from an idea she generated during PiBoIdMo. Like Amy said, I'm sure there are more success stories out there, and I hope others come forward to share.  And huge congratulations to you, Amy, on 'Marathon Mouse'! I had the pleasure of reading your mss a few months ago. I look forward to buying a copy of the book when it's out.   
#5 - October 26, 2011, 12:14 AM
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:22 AM by RebeccaC »
MOTOR GOOSE (Feiwel&Friends, 2017)
IT'S RAINING BATS & FROGS (F&F, 2015)
THERE WAS A WEE LASSIE (Floris, 2014)
www.rebeccacolbybooks.com
@amscribbler

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
 :whitebunny  I signed up also. Thanks for alerting us to the Facebook group! I'm thrilled to know about all the successes that have come from PiBoIdMo!
~Tina
#6 - October 26, 2011, 02:27 AM
Seasons of the Asian Pear Tree, Schoolwide Fall 2015
Girls Guide to Manners, Legacy Press Kids 2014
God Is So Good coloring book, Warner Press 2013

I've decided to do it. I loved it so much last year, and I'm hoping it pries me out of my writing (and life) funk.
#7 - October 26, 2011, 04:37 AM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I'm in!

This is my third year as a guest blogger. I'm thrilled, as always, to be a part of this event.

And psst. I'm a PiBoIdMo Success Story, but I can't spill the details yet.
#8 - October 26, 2011, 06:50 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm in again this year!   :partytime  Such an awesome month of inspiration and creativity!

(Tammi, you're a big meanie tease! But congrats!)
#9 - October 26, 2011, 08:49 AM

writerdebm

In again this year. Happy idea gathering all!

And---if you aren't able to join in. The articles and inspirational posts are well worth reading!
#10 - October 26, 2011, 11:20 AM

I can't wait!

The first year I participated, one of my resulting manuscripts won me the Barbara Karlin Grant. So I'm super excited to do it again. Can already feel the ideas bubbling.

(Looking forward to your news, Tammi!)
#11 - October 26, 2011, 12:33 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
I just signed up. Can't wait! Let the ideas roll  :motorcycle:
#12 - October 26, 2011, 04:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm in, too. I kind of lurked on it last year, but am ready to go full throttle this year. So excited!

Carrie
#13 - October 26, 2011, 05:34 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Okay, I'm signed up. Can't wait to see where this adventure takes me!
#14 - October 26, 2011, 06:30 PM
HIGH TIDE FOR HORSESHOE CRABS (Charlesbridge, 2015)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I'm in! Looking forward to it!
#15 - October 26, 2011, 09:43 PM
BACKHOE JOE, HarperCollins, 2014
FAMOUSLY PHOEBE, Sterling, 2017
ALL IN A DROP, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019

http://www.lorialexanderbooks.com/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
 :yay It'll be fun to do PiBoIdMo with all of you! 

You're welcome for sharing the Facebook group, Ravyn. 

I know what you mean, Tracey.  I turned eight of them into manuscripts during NaPiBoWriWee, and have been revising them and older manuscripts since then.  Tara mentioned a new challenge someone is doing that works well with hers.  The goal is to write one new picture book manuscript a month, so you'll have twelve each year.  Here's a link: http://writeupmylife.com/2011/10/26/piboidmo-is-upon-us/

AmyD--I didn't realize that the manuscript that got you an agent and book contract was sparked from PiBoIdMo.  That's wonderful!

And yay to Diana and Rebecca for winning the Barbara Karlin grant with manuscripts that were inspired by PiBoIdMo! 

Wahoo, Tammi!  Huge congrats on your PiBoIdMo Success Story!  I can't wait to hear the details, when you can share.

#16 - October 27, 2011, 05:20 AM

Rebecca, I just now noticed your post above mine! Glad you'll be participating again.  :yay

Looks like there will be a LOT of particpants this year.

Mindy, thanks for the link to the new challenge.
#17 - October 28, 2011, 04:02 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL

I just signed up.

Note to Procrastinators--Halloween and the deadline for signing up for PiBoIdMo are only a few days away!
#19 - October 28, 2011, 04:43 PM
Ellen Ramsey
twitter: @SowingIdeas
www.EllenLRamsey.com

my first post here and already about something i'm super excited about : PiBoIdMo.... i'm so happy a member of my crit group told me about this... you can't help but love the writing community !!!! can't wait to start; already commenced jotting down ideas (is that cheating ?????) despite my head being all blurry due to a severe cold
#20 - October 29, 2011, 03:53 AM

Just got the first email with your post, Mindy! You've inspired me!
#21 - October 30, 2011, 05:07 AM

Poster Plus
Okay Mindy, you convinced me. I'm in! I think it will be a breath of fresh air to have some new ideas to think about in the midst of revisions.

Thanks for the great post!
#22 - October 30, 2011, 08:45 AM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Aw, thanks so much, Donna! :hug

I hope you feel better, Janischa!  I'm glad you joined the Blueboards and the PiBoIdMo challenge.  

You're welcome for the new challenge link, Diana.  

Yay!  I'm so glad you're taking the plunge again, AmyD.  I think it'll give you a nice break from revisions, too.  This time, I hope you sell at least two picture books that PiBoIdMo inspires.

Here's the link to my guest post, with the top 10 reasons to try PiBoIdMo: http://taralazar.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/piboidmo-preview-day-1-mindy-alyse-weiss-isnt-scared/#comments

Good luck, everyone. :)
#23 - October 30, 2011, 08:48 AM

writerdebm

Great article this morning, Mindy! And thanks for the link to the 12 for 2012 pb challenge!
#24 - October 30, 2011, 08:49 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'd love to join you guys but November is the busiest month in the history of me so far...My agent brought me an illustration job back from Frankfurt which is on a very short deadline (24 spreads for the end of November - 6 down, 18 to go...I'm not complaining but I would have loved to do PiBoIdMo) x
#25 - October 30, 2011, 09:33 AM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

I'm in, too!    :grin2:

Great first post, Mindy!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
#26 - October 30, 2011, 09:45 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Loved your post, Mindy!!! Well done.
#27 - October 30, 2011, 11:04 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

thanks Mindy... I'm happy to see that the shower works inspirational for others as well :-)

Today, PiBoIdMo did not only inspire me to a new PB idea (yes, I started already, I couldn't help it: once the button is pushed, it's pushed) but to write out a whole new story... and yes, I had planned for this only AFTER the 30 days, but thanks to the PiBoIdMo I discovered Storybird and I couldn't resist writing up a full story.....
#28 - October 30, 2011, 11:41 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks so much for the sweet comments about my post, Deb, Katy, and Jean!  I'll be smiling all day. :grin2:

Maxi--it's possible you'll start coming up with ideas when you aren't working on your illustrations (or maybe even when you are working on them).  Most of my ideas come to me when I'm in the shower, driving, walking my dog, trying to sleep, exercising, etc.  If an idea hits, jot it down!   

Wow--congrats for writing down a new PB idea AND creating a new story, Janischa. That's fantastic!  When inspiration like that strikes, definitely go for it.

I must have missed the post about Storybird.  It sounds interesting...I'll have to check it out!   
#29 - October 30, 2011, 04:17 PM

Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm in this year too...can't wait to get started!
#30 - October 31, 2011, 04:27 PM

Members: