SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month)

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I did it last year and I’ve signed up for this year, too.
#31 - November 01, 2011, 11:28 AM
I read, therefore I am.
http://bigfoot-reads.blogspot.com/

I’m a dogged reader.
http://www.dogdarecritiques.com

Hi, Mindy. I did it last year but I didn't officially sign up. I'm all in this year.  :cheerleader
#32 - November 01, 2011, 11:40 AM

Kawie

:whitebunny
November.
What a great month for a new beginning.
I'm plunging in with all of you.
This is my very first PiBoIdMo and my first VerlaKay post too!
Can't wait to see what happens.
I'm totally jazzed.
Mindy and Tara, thanks so much for setting this up!
#33 - November 01, 2011, 12:19 PM

Katto

This is my first year in this, I am enjoying every minute of it.
It is such a great idea, thanks so much!
#34 - November 03, 2011, 09:05 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
All this excitement about pb ideas is infectious!  Good luck to everyone and thanks again to Mindy, for your undying encouragement! :cheerleader
#35 - November 10, 2011, 09:04 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
PiBoIdMo got me re-invigorated to come back here after a long absence...too long!  Nice to see lots of familiar names/initials from the PiBoIdMo Facebook page!

It's Day 15 and I have 17 new ideas...feeling pretty excited and hoping to keep the momentum through December to turn them into potential drafts!
#36 - November 15, 2011, 05:34 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
This has been such a fun month so far.  The ideas have been flying for so many of us.  Can you believe we're already at the halfway mark?

I can't wait to hear about all the amazing manuscripts that spark from the ideas we come up with this month (and hopefully celebrate lots of future PB sales, too)!

#37 - November 15, 2011, 09:02 PM

writerdebm

Here is to ideas flying to the end of the month and beyond! :hairdude (love the hair dude, lol---hmmmm and pb in there somewhere?)
#38 - November 17, 2011, 07:03 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Did everybody make it to 30? I just finished. It feels good.
#39 - November 30, 2011, 04:42 PM
I read, therefore I am.

I’m a dogged reader.

I ended up with 35, I think. It was WAY fun!  :beach
#40 - November 30, 2011, 07:03 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I finished my 30 and only 28 are stinkers!

Plus, I just recived an e-mail saying I won a signed copy of 'Gingerbread Man Loose at School'!  I love PiBoIdMo! Congratulations to all who participated and many, many thanks to Tara Lazar for making it all happen.

:yay
#41 - November 30, 2011, 07:32 PM
Legend of The Beaver's Tail '15
Schnitzel: A Cautionary Tale for Lazy Louts,  '16
Moo La La! Cow Goes Shopping, '17
Piece by Piece, '17

Jodelle55

:yay  I managed to finish the challenge and I ended up with 32 story ideas.
Thanks Tara for setting this up.  This was the first year I participated and I am excited to have lots of new ideas to work on.
#42 - December 01, 2011, 05:44 AM

writerdebm

Congrats everyone!!  I ended up with about 51.

This month I want to type them into my computer and see which ones really sing, or combine into one.

Enjoy the next step!

#43 - December 01, 2011, 05:59 AM

vwexler

Yay! Participated and finished with a happy 33 ideas. Can't believe it! Now to fleshing out those ideas... What a fun challenge!
#44 - December 01, 2011, 06:19 AM

I ended up with 33 too!

And now, I'm moving on to the development stage (love the Post-PiBoIdMo post!)

Huge hugs and major gratitude to Tara Lazar and all the guest bloggers! SO much information and inspiration!  :love
#45 - December 01, 2011, 07:45 AM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Wow--huge congrats everyone! I'm happy dancing for all the wonderful ideas we've created this month and hope they turn into many PB sales over the next couple of years.  :hairdude  Thanks again for creating this fun and motivating challenge, Tara!

I ended up making a file with ideas that are fleshed out at least a little, and another file of random thoughts.  The main idea file has 41, and the random thought file (which might just be a title or some other grain of an idea) ended with 44, plus I have two ideas that might be good to work into a future picture book or novel, for a total of 87 this month, which really blows my mind! 

Now, the question is...what are we going to do with all these amazing ideas?  I always participate in Paula Yoo's NaPiBoWriWee 7 drafts in 7 days challenge in May, and I just signed up for the new 12 x 12 challenge where the goal is to write one new manuscript a month in 2012.  If I'm successful, that will mean at least 18 new picture book drafts out of these 87 ideas by the end of 2012--wow!  It sounds like a lot, but so did coming up with 30 ideas in 30 days, and look how amazing we all did. 

Who is going to take the 12 x 12 challenge with me?  There's also a Facebook group which should be filled with enthusiastic participants, since many PiBoIdMoers seem to be tackling it, too.  Here's a link: http://writeupmylife.com/2011/11/30/12-x-12-in-2012-picture-book-writing-challenge/comment-page-1/#comment-5329
#46 - December 01, 2011, 09:36 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Mindy, thanks for the 12x12 link. I’m going to try it. The previous years I did PiBoIdMo I didn’t do anything with my ideas. Not that I never will, but they’ve been ignored for too long. This will be a nice little kick in the pants to get to work.
#47 - December 01, 2011, 11:51 AM
I read, therefore I am.

I’m a dogged reader.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Wow, that challenge looks good. I think I might be in...or crazy. Or both! How hard could it possibly be**, right?

Seriously, I think I might do this. Thanks for the link!

Carrie

(Famous last words repeated on several occasions by myself and my husband before embarking on projects that went on to swallow up entire months out of our lives, not to mention $$ from our bank account.)
#48 - December 01, 2011, 12:55 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Kawie

I ended up with 38 ideas. Many thanks to Tara and all the bloggers.  :goldstar 12 X 12 looks like a fantastic way to keep pushing forward. I'm in!
#49 - December 01, 2011, 08:47 PM

Members: