SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Edwardian era book recs

Discussion started on

I'm looking for anything set in the early 20th century that you all love. I've been obsessivly watching Downton Abbey and everything I try to read now that *isn't* set then is just leaving me cold.  :cold Any fun recommendations for me until I can regain some mental health and join the rest of the world in the 21st century? (not that I have any particular desire to do that yet)  :ohno

Much obliged!!

#1 - November 01, 2011, 10:01 AM
Robin

Poster Plus
Have you read Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons? It's technically adult fiction, I think, and set a bit later, post WWI England, but I love it. Lots of great characters. The movie with Kate Beckinsale and Ian McKellen is wonderful too.

Another of my favorites is The Secret Countess (aka A Countess Below Stairs) by Eva Ibbotson, which has a lot of the nice upstairs/downstairs stuff, similar to Downton Abbey.That's also set slightly later, early 1920s I think, post Russian Revolution.
#2 - November 01, 2011, 10:11 AM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Just kidlit, or adult too?  I think much of Frances Hodgson Burnett is Edwardian--at least, Secret Garden and A Little Princess are.  She also wrote dozens of adult romantic thrillers, some of which are still quite readable today.  There's also The Forsyte Saga by Galsworthy, and if you're open to American settings, there's a wonderful series by an author called Van Reid who writes like an American Dickens and has a fabulous series set in late 1890s Maine--the first book is called Cordelia Underwood.  I'll think a little more and see what I can find.

ETA--oh, love A Countess Below Stairs!  She has a handful of others as well--they were originally published as adult, but have been re-released as YA.
#3 - November 01, 2011, 10:17 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Just had a look at my bookshelves--here's a few more suggestions:

The Little Otleys by Ada Leverson
The Eliza Stories by Barry Pain
anything by Angela Thirkell, though she's a little later (30s through post WWII)
#4 - November 01, 2011, 10:21 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
I thought of some others that might work:

A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper, which is set in 1936. There's a sequel as well, which I haven't read.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, also set in the 30s.

And of course much of Lucy Maud Montgomery's work. Though that wouldn't have an uppercrust English household feel, being set in PEI Canada. But Rilla of Ingleside, about Anne's daughter, is set during WWI.

Or some other adult fiction:

A Room with a View by E. M. Forester
#5 - November 01, 2011, 10:23 AM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

RJ_Anderson

A ROOM WITH A VIEW is *the bomb*. Especially the film, though the book is delightful too (admittedly, I'm probably biased by having seen the film first).

E. Nesbit's books are Edwardian too, I believe.
#6 - November 01, 2011, 10:56 AM

Oh thank you so much, everyone! Marissa - I'm actually reading The Secret Garden to my girls right now and they are loving it. I hadn't even thought of it in the same context but of course it works...
I think I have A Brief History of Montmary and haven't read it yet. Excited to read A Room with a View, too. And I love the idea of an American Dickens.

I knew you all would have great ideas!

Thank you!!
#7 - November 01, 2011, 11:21 AM
Robin

Members: