SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

THE VESPERTINE, Saundra Mitchell

Discussion started on

ecb

I just finished this paranormal romance set in the Victorian era, and was totally swept away. It's the story of a debutante in Baltimore in 1889 who sees visions of the future in the sunset, and the descriptions are just so lush and gorgeous. The book is being billed as a gothic, and I see why, but to me it was more paranormal historical romance.

I'm recommending it first for anyone working with a romance plotline; this is one steamy (though chaste) book.  But what impressed me most, and why I'm posting about it here, is that The Vespertine has one of the finest-crafted turning points I've ever read in a book. It comes as a surprise but is absolutely inevitable, and completely changes the course of the story. This is a good read for students of plot structure.

#1 - November 03, 2011, 01:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
And it has a beautiful cover!
Yes, I agree with the lovely descriptions as well and can see fans of ecb's books enjoying SM's as well!
#2 - November 03, 2011, 03:32 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Thank you for the recommendation!!
#3 - November 03, 2011, 04:09 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
The title alone makes me want to read it---but add to that ecb's comments, and I'm in!
#4 - November 03, 2011, 05:27 PM

RJ_Anderson

I loved this book in manuscript, so I can't wait to re-read it in its published form (it's on my TBR list for right after I finish my latest revisions!). And I can testify that the sequels, THE SPRINGSWEET and AETHERBORNE, are just as rich and romantic. Love Saundra's writing.
#5 - November 04, 2011, 05:03 AM

Rhonda

It's amazing--YES.
#6 - November 04, 2011, 05:05 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I also enjoyed it very much -- it's a very engaging story!
#7 - November 04, 2011, 07:02 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
And I'm on the look out for something new to read! Thanks for the recommendation. 
#8 - November 04, 2011, 08:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region louisianamississippi
I loved this book- it's one of my favorite YA paranormal historicals.  And I love series where the author introduces a different romantic couple in the same world in each of the sequels.  I can't wait for THE SPRINGSWEET!
#9 - November 04, 2011, 11:20 AM
THE KATERINA TRILOGY (Delacorte)
The Gathering Storm
The Unfailing Light
The Morning Star

Member.
Poster Plus
Loved, loved, loved this book. It hooks you right from the first page--I HAD to see what happened.
#10 - November 16, 2011, 06:26 PM
YA reader/writer, ghostwriter, librarian.
Blueboard member since 2008

Members: