SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Kindle Owners' Lending Library

Discussion started on

mclicious
Poster Plus
Valeriek, I wouldn't actually be all that surprised if they were willing to do something weird, just because that's what they did with Kindle at the beginning--they sold it at a loss just so that they could create a niche market, and it worked. So you never know.
#31 - November 09, 2011, 04:18 PM

CaroleB

I could be wrong, but I think libraries can buy multiple use licenses for eBooks and lend them simultaneously which, of course, means more than one person can have access to the same book. What that costs and how they determine which ones to purchase is beyond me.

This is all very interesting, eh? 
#32 - January 10, 2012, 01:27 PM

I could be wrong, but I think libraries can buy multiple use licenses for eBooks and lend them simultaneously which, of course, means more than one person can have access to the same book.

Yes, they can. But that's a different situation from Amazon's lending library, which is its own sort of online library.
#33 - January 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

CaroleB

Oops, my bad. Thought library lending was mentioned, too. :)
#34 - January 11, 2012, 05:26 AM

mclicious
Poster Plus
News! http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/01/ebooks/amazons-kindle-lending-library-zooms-past-75000-titles-authors-earn-1-70-per-borrow/

Really intriguing, but I guess it doesn't help anyone with a big name publisher? Anyone know more about this?
#35 - January 12, 2012, 12:32 PM

$1.70 per borrow sounds nice to me. I still don't understand why major publishers aren't on board with this. Would have been nice if the article had mentioned something about that.
#36 - January 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
From what I understand, that amount of money was only for the Kindle Direct Publishing Select members. If big publishers participated, they were paid for borrows on a different scale, negotiated directly. There are about 500 traditional books (or were, when it started, involved.) And many thousands of KDP books.
#37 - January 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

From what I understand, that amount of money was only for the Kindle Direct Publishing Select members. If big publishers participated, they were paid for borrows on a different scale, negotiated directly. There are about 500 traditional books (or were, when it started, involved.) And many thousands of KDP books.

So maybe those negotiations weren't as good as the major houses were hoping for?
#38 - January 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Well, I know that Amazon included some big books without anyone's permission and "notified" the publisher the night before the promotion went out. They justified this since the borrows were going to count the same and pay the same as a sale. So it was really Amazon's choice which traditional books were included.

Smashwords says 6000 self published authors pulled their titles from other retailers via their site to go exclusive for Amazon for this deal.

I didn't do it. My MG book has been in the top 50 downloads for 9-12 year olds for three weeks now at Barnes & Noble, and I'm glad I'm not exclusive to Amazon, where it has sold all of 2 copies in the same period.

But several people whose sales were really low hit the jackpot, getting six and seven thousand dollar checks for borrows in December alone. Success stories are everywhere.
#39 - January 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

One of my volunteers who always asks me for YA book recommendations today limited it to "for the Kindle."

He told me his two new favorite books are "Psion Beta" and "The Soulkeepers" which look like they are two promoted self-pubbed (? I could be wrong) titles on Kindle Select.

He loves the Kindle Fire he got for Christmas.

View from a librarian's desk ...
#40 - January 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Members: