SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Trying to find PB that describes to kids (pre/K/1) how libraries work. Help!

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Looking on Amazon, but not really finding any titles that seem to fit the bill.  I know we have librarians on the BBs....can anyone recommend a title that addresses to some degree how a library works?  Specifically, book organization....

Thanks in advance!

-Kellie
#1 - November 08, 2011, 07:33 AM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

mclicious
Poster Plus
I saw this exhibited at the AASL conference a couple weeks ago and thought it was great: http://www.highsmith.com/upstartbooks/The-Library-Monkeys-Story-Cards-c_33370833/?ICID=B10303

Here's a page of other library-related picture books they sell: http://www.highsmith.com/upstartbooks/picture-books-21058414/
#2 - November 08, 2011, 08:33 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Thanks, Hannah!!!
#3 - November 08, 2011, 08:44 AM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm presuming by organization you mean the Dewey system? I haven't seen any PB's that deal with that specifically. There is a book called No T. Rex in the Library that loosely mentions different subjects that can be found in the library. There is The Shelf Elf that talks about library "rules" and manners. There's Goldisocks and the Three Libearians, which is obviously a goldilocks retelling. It deals with picking a "just right book." There are others that I don't even care to mention they were that badly written. Go to your hometown library's online card catalog and do a search. If you aren't able to do that, call the children's librarian at your local library or leave a message with the school librarian at an area school and ask for recommendations. They will definitely be able to help you.

ETA: I am a children's librarian working in both the school and public setting. I recently did a lesson using the three books I mentioned.
#4 - November 10, 2011, 09:37 AM
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:05 PM by Michelle J. »
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

Kate Kae

There's a second Shelf Elf book that talks about Mr. Dewy, the decimal system, and library "neighborhoods" such as: "the 800s is where you go for these topics...." Sorry can't remember the full book name.
#5 - November 10, 2011, 11:18 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Maybe not exactly what you were after, but a Maisy Goes to the Library book has Maisy Mouse and friends checking out books and reading in the quiet corner, etc.
#6 - November 10, 2011, 01:00 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

mclicious
Poster Plus
I would be interested to hear what you find out form children's librarians. I'm in library school now, and I also joined my local branch of Radical Reference, and I know a lot of librarians are trying to tout Dewey less after more and more evidence of how bigoted he was. That's not to say everyone is going to LOC instead (I would find that way too confusing for a library smaller than one in a university, frankly), but I don't anticipate any new children's books exalting him and his system anytime soon.
#7 - November 10, 2011, 02:39 PM

Did anyone mention Bats At The Library?
It doesn't go in depth, but the bats explore different things the library has, and they group by interests to look at books on different topics.
#8 - November 10, 2011, 04:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I don't know if this would be right but thought I'd mention it anyway...There is a Charlie and Lola book by Lauren Child called 'But Excuse Me That is My Book' which is centred around a library visit x
#9 - November 11, 2011, 02:04 AM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I just did library lessons for students in 1st and 2nd grade with Dotti Enderle's THE LIBRARY GINGERBREAD MAN (http://www.amazon.com/Library-Gingerbread-Man-Dotti-Enderle/dp/1602130485/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1).

It doesn't mention the Dewey Decimal system by name, but when the gingerbread man escapes from his own book in 398.2 (the fairy tale section), he runs into characters from other sections of the non-fiction shelves--a robot, an origami bird, folks from the biography section, etc. until he meets an arctic fox in the 900-somethings. Just when the fox is about to eat him, the clever librarian saves the day. That's my favorite part. ;-)
#10 - November 11, 2011, 06:31 PM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
Natalie, that book sounded so cute, I jumped over to the link and bought it.
#11 - November 11, 2011, 07:00 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Bob Shea has a brand new DINOSAUR VS. LIBRARY which doesn't actually talk about sections in the library, but deals with how you need to be quiet and respectful there. :) I just love Bob Shea's dino so I had to mention him. :)

I second BATS AT THE LIBRARY and NO T. REX IN THE LIB.
#12 - November 11, 2011, 07:19 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Natalie, that book sounded so cute, I jumped over to the link and bought it.

Hooray! The kids really loved it. After I read the story, we went back through the pictures and as I read out the call numbers, a child went to stand by that section. At the end, they were all spread out all over the nonfiction section, and they remembered where the different topics are located. When I do this lesson again next year, I think I'll make a paper gingerbread man and laminate it, stick him in his own book in 398.2, then have kids take turns moving him to the different sections as I read the story.

I love the library. :)

The other books mentioned sound cute, too. One other really fun one is LIBRARY LILL (http://www.amazon.com/Library-Picture-Puffins-Suzanne-Williams/dp/0140568379/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321110468&sr=8-1-spell), about a super-strong librarian who gets a gang of bikers to become readers. It's more a plug for reading than for teaching where things are in the library, but it's adorable nonetheless.
#13 - November 12, 2011, 07:06 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
LIBRARY LILL is one of my favorites too!

Here's a few more:

Librarian from the Black Lagoon, Mike Thaler
Check it Out! The book about Libraries, Gail Gibbons
Once Inside the Library, Barbara A Huff

Enjoy!
#14 - November 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
We just read "D.W.s Library Card" in the Arthur series which is about Arthur's little sister getting her own library card and learning about how you have to be careful with library books. It also mentions renewing. I'm not always fond of those books because Arthur and DW don't have the greatest relationship, and my son and daughter need better role models than that, but this one wasn't too bad.

Carrie
#15 - November 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

You reminded me of my blog post I did a while back where I put up some of the books about the library I like to display. http://frolickingthroughcyberspace.blogspot.com/2009/06/librarians-special.html
I think I.Q. Goes to the Library may be a good one for your needs. I also second the Library Gingerbread Man!
#16 - November 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
UNICORN AND YETI: SPARKLY NEW FRIENDS, A GOOD TEAM, & FRIENDS ROCK! Coming 2019 from Scholastic Acorn

Members: