SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need post-H.Games recommendation for 10y.o.

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
My 10 y.o. daughter just finished (moments ago!) the final book in the Hunger Games series. She couldn't put them down...and up until this point, she has been a strong reader, but not an enthusiastic reader. These are the first books that was excited enough about to choose to spend her spare time reading. I want to get her started on something new while she is hungry for more, and she asked me if I could find a new book or series for her. So please, any recommendations for her?
#1 - November 13, 2011, 12:46 PM

If she liked Hunger Games I'm sure she'll like Divergent. It's so, so good! She may like the Chaos Walking trilogy (tell her she needs to push through the first chapter - it's a little bleak, but then things pick up) These are YA recommendations, but I think HG is YA so maybe she likes those themes?
My 10 y.o. LOVES the Skulduggery Pleasant books by Derek Landy - about a very well dressed skeleton detective. :)
She might like the Shadow Children series by Magaret Patterson Haddix. And of course Suzanne Collins has a MG series called Gregor the Overlander. And has she read Brian Selznick's books? I couldn't put down The Invention of Hugo Cabret. It's a fat book, but a lot of the pages are illustrations.
#2 - November 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
Robin

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I like MysteryRobin's suggestions (Skulduggery is one my faves, as is Chaos Walking)...but if she wants something a little dark like Hunger Games, the Gone series by Michael Grant is fabulous (think Lord of the Flies meets Stephen King)

#3 - November 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Artemesia -  you've just sold me on checking out the Gone series.

Add my rec for the Chaos Walking trilogy. If your daughter likes older YA with great pacing, set in a post-apocalyptic and/or dystopian world, I'd also recommend the Uglies series by Scot Westerfield, The Maze Runner trilogy by James Dashner, and The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch (which was blurbed by Suzanne Collins).
#4 - November 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
NERVE  ~Truth or Dare, without the Truth~ Dial, Fall 2012
CHARISMA ~Gene Therapy Gone Bad~ Dial, Winter 2015
www.jeanneryan.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Yep, MAZE RUNNER by Dashner. Also INCARCERON by Fisher.
#5 - November 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Uh...  not tooting my own horn, but she might like my dystopian books, XVI - and the sequel, Truth (comes out in January.) It might be a bit old for her, but if she read HG, I think not.
#6 - November 13, 2011, 03:03 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Member.
Poster Plus
These are great rec's here! I'm adding TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR BEGAN by John Marsden. It's about a group of teens who escape capture when Australia is invaded (fictional invasion set in modern times). They use guerilla fighting tactics to try to stop the people who've invaded their town. It's a little slow start, but definitely a page-turner once you get into it.
(Note: It's the first book in a series, but it can be read as a standalone. There is some sex in some of the later books that's probably too much for a 10-year-old, but the romance in this first book is less than there is in HG.)

I second the Shadow Children series, and I think that RUNNING OUT OF TIME is another great Margaret Peterson Haddix book she might like. It's about a girl living in the 1840s...who learns that she is not actually living in the 1840s, but in a historical replica village that's a tourist attraction in 1996. She finds out because there's an epidemic of illness in the village, and the people who run the tourist attraction won't give them modern medicine or let anyone leave and go back out into the modern world (there's a sort of sinister, dystopian feel to this aspect of it). So the girl has to escape from the sealed-off village into the and get help for her sick family. (And she has NO idea how to navigate the modern world - since she's never seen cars, computers, modern cities, etc.)
#7 - November 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:15 AM by Laurenwrites »

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
RUNNING OUT OF TIME is another great Margaret Peterson Haddix book she might like. It's about a girl living in the 1840s...who learns that she is not actually living in the 1840s, but in a historical replica village that's a tourist attraction in 1996. She finds out because there's an epidemic of illness in the village, and the people who run the tourist attraction won't give them modern medicine or let anyone leave and go back out into the modern world (there's a sort of sinister, dystopian feel to this aspect of it). So the girl has to escape from the sealed-off village into the and get help for her sick family. (And she has NO idea how to navigate the modern world - since she's never seen cars, computers, modern cities, etc.)

that sounds so similar to a an M Night Shyamalan movie I saw, I think it was called The Village? I wonder if it was based on that book.

GRACELING by Kristin Cashore is also a really good book she might enjoy.

and I read the first book in the Bloody Jack series by L A Meyer (about a girl who poses as a ship's boy in the British Navy in the late 1800s) and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading the other books.

#8 - November 13, 2011, 03:50 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
This a great list (for me, too!) Typing all of these up and printing out the whole list to go through. And Julia, I have XVI and I look forward to reading Truth when it comes out. I'm okay w/my almost 14 y.o. reading those, but the sexual issues are a bit heavy for my 10 y.o....but in a couple of years, defintely:):)

I'm so excited to get her going with some of these and to read them myself!
#9 - November 13, 2011, 03:58 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
... And Julia, I have XVI and I look forward to reading Truth when it comes out. I'm okay w/my almost 14 y.o. reading those, but the sexual issues are a bit heavy for my 10 y.o....but in a couple of years, defintely:):)

I wondered about that and totally understand! Thank you for reading XVI and I really hope you like Truth! :D
#10 - November 14, 2011, 02:50 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

I've had great success with Dead Girls Don't Write Letters by Gail Giles as far as high interest is concerned. And Darren Shan's Cirque du Freak series is quite popular for that age.

Artemesia, Running Out of Time is surprisingly like The Village. Both my daughter and I said the same thing while we were watching the movie. There was some controversy over copyright infringement when it came out, but nothing came of it. I had heard it really boiled down to Simon not having nearly as many lawyers as Disney. (Though clearly, MP Haddix wrote the book before Shyamalan even began making films.

keep writing,
dave r
#11 - November 14, 2011, 03:40 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

I actually picked up Running out of Time after seeing The Village and hearing about the controversy. It's a tough call because honestly, if they'd made The Village as a movie version of the book, I'd be mad because they changed so much. But having it not connected makes you really notice the similarities. There are some very core differences and also, differences in that I think The Village pretty much ends with the "escape" instead of showing much after that.

But I think the movie must have helped Haddix - because I picked up that book, then all the Shadow Children books and her newest series for my 10 year old who has loved all of them!
#12 - November 15, 2011, 01:44 PM
Robin

Member.
Poster Plus
Now I need to watch The Village! :)
#13 - November 15, 2011, 02:55 PM

Members: