SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Dual POVs - but not love interests

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Hello blueboarders,

I'm looking for recommendations for YA novels which have dual points of view, but where the narrators are NOT each other's love interests. Siblings, friends, allies, something like that. Especially interested in anything from the science fiction or fantasy shelves.

Thanks!
#1 - November 13, 2011, 01:03 PM

Well, the Chaos Walking trilogy has dual pov's in the third book - actually three POV's and one of them for sure is not romantic - trying to remember if it's in the 2nd book, too. They do hint at romance toward the end of the trilogy but the kids are on the younger side, so it's more about being allies and deep friendship.
#2 - November 13, 2011, 01:30 PM
Robin

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
In the second book in Chaos Walking the dual POV's are the boy and girl, and it's not totally romantic as they apart most of the time and aren't bf/gf per se, but they care about each other more than anything else in the world, so in a way, it's extremely romantic. The third book adds an additional not romantic POV, and it's awesome!!
#3 - November 13, 2011, 01:55 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

novaren

Sara Zarr's wonderful new book, HOW TO SAVE A LIFE, has two POVs: a girl giving up her baby for adoption, and the daughter of the woman about to adopt the baby. So well-done.

Also, FEATHERED by Laura Kasischke, has two POVs of two friends who go away on a spring break trip to Mexico... one disappears and one comes back home without her. I loved that book.
#4 - November 13, 2011, 01:58 PM

MY BEATING TEENAGE HEART, by C. K. Kelly Martin does it really well.
The characters aren't love interests and the book has a paranormal bent.

http://www.amazon.com/Beating-Teenage-Heart-Kelly-Martin/dp/0375868550/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321223111&sr=8-1-spell
#5 - November 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:24 PM by CC »
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
HOW TO SAVE A LIFE was amazing though not sci-fi at all. Ellen Hopkin's aren't sci-fi either, but IDENTICAL, IMPULSE, and oh geez, the one told by the kids of the MC in CRANK. Multiple povs, not romantic interests.

In the sci-fi realm, hm, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE becomes a romance. This is harder....let me think more on it.
#6 - November 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
Thank you all so much for these suggestions (and please keep 'em coming if any more occur to you). Hardly any of them are familiar to me, which makes me feel better about drawing such a blank myself. :)
#7 - November 13, 2011, 02:43 PM

RJ_Anderson

My WAYFARER (HarperTeen, 2010) alternates POV between a boy and a girl, who are allies traveling together to complete an important fantasy-type quest, but are not romantically entangled.
#8 - November 13, 2011, 03:27 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm not sure if this fits the bill, but I just read THE NAME OF THE STAR by Maureen Johnson and it switches between first-person narration of the MC's life, and occasional 3rd-person narration of events in a murder investigation which the MC wasn't present for. (It's also a great book!)
#9 - November 13, 2011, 03:49 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
It's tween, but Rick Riordan's Red Pyramid series does a nice job alternating between siblings Carter and Sadie Kane.
#10 - November 13, 2011, 04:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
In my book, WITCHLANDERS, the pov characters are two 17-year-old boys on opposite sides of a conflict who meet in the middle of the book.

Edited to add: It's fantasy.
#11 - November 13, 2011, 06:17 PM
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:19 PM by tulipwars »
WITCHLANDERS
Lena Coakley
Exquisite storytelling plus atmospheric worldbuilding equals one stunning teen debut. Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

brainbliss

Steve Brezenoff's The Absolute Value of -1 fits the bill. Although, it's not fantasy/sci-fi.
#12 - November 13, 2011, 11:06 PM

Poster Plus
The books in the Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud alternate between the POV of Bartimaeus (a 1000s year old djinn) and Nathaniel (a young wizard) and in the second book there's a third POV introduced, of a young anti-magic activist named Kitty. None of them are romantically involved. The first book is The Amulet of Samarkand. They're sometimes put in the MG section and sometimes in YA.

Another in upper MG/lower YA (imo the series matures with the main characters) is the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane, which start off alternating between two kids who become friends, one male(Kit), one female (Nita). Later books introduce the Nita's sister as a POV character too.
#13 - November 14, 2011, 08:24 AM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

RJ_Anderson

You forgot the "sadly" after that "none of them are romantically involved", Deva. Here, let me put it in for you. :)

(Still bitter about my thwarted Nathanael/Kitty shipping, just a little.)
#14 - November 14, 2011, 08:48 AM

mclicious
Poster Plus
Not sure if these are "famous," but...

BLINK AND CAUTION by Tim Wynne Jones
NAOMI AND ELY'S NO KISS LIST by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
DASH AND LILY'S BOOK OF DARES by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (the love interest part is iffy)
BAMBOO PEOPLE by Mitali Perkins
DREAMS OF SIGNIFICANT GIRLS by Cristina Garcia
BUMPED by Megan McCafferty
KEESHA'S HOUSE by Helen Frost
FEELING SORRY FOR CELIA by Jaclyn Moriarty
WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON by David Levithan and John Green
#15 - November 15, 2011, 06:12 AM

Poster Plus
 :thankyou Thank you SO MUCH for these recommendations, all! As ever I'm blown away by the collective awesome of Blueboarders.
#16 - November 15, 2011, 08:46 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
JERSEY TOMATOES ARE THE BEST by Maria Padian-- awesome book! the two mc's are best friends who alternate chapters in first person pov.
#17 - November 16, 2011, 03:15 PM

Magic and Madness trilogy by Justine Larbalestier has at least 2 POV. One is first person and the other is 3rd person. They're friends and neighbours.
#18 - November 16, 2011, 03:48 PM
@annemariewrites

Woods

I recommend INCARCERON by Catherine Fisher. It a YA fantasy/SF.
#19 - January 07, 2012, 05:34 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
  • SCBWI PAL
Great topic. My WIP is dual-POV with two girls who switch places, and it's fantasy. I didn't know there are so many dual-POV non-romantic books out there!
#20 - January 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
THE FIRE WISH, Random House Children's, 2014
THE BLIND WISH, Random House Children's, 2015
www.amberlough.com

my sequel Fury of the Phoenix is dual pov!

but it isn't in the same time frame, fyi.
one storyline takes place 300 years before the main
heroine's story.

good luck! it's challenging but fun!

:bunnyrun
#21 - January 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

Natalie C Parker

There's also SISTERS RED by Jackson Pearce.
#22 - January 25, 2012, 01:56 PM

Toothpaste

If you can wait until the fall . . . my YA THE FRIDAY SOCIETY has three POVs, none of which are romantic. :) 

#23 - January 25, 2012, 03:00 PM

Members: