SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I need your creativity!

Discussion started on

Fiona L

So, I'm writing a novel that is set 2000 years into the future.
I've done all the world building and realized there is one thing I haven't done yet.
Clothes!!!!

The only thing future-like seems to be jumpsuits? Can anyone else imagine any other cool future like clothes that you would expect?

Also, out of curiosity. What do you imagine the future of year 4000 to be like?
Will we still be living on Earth? How far has our technology improved? Are we going to be living with little green men? What do you think our society would be like?

Thanks in advance for the help. <3
#1 - October 18, 2011, 01:04 PM

AdamV

I don't think there will be much in the way of natural fibers anymore. Why grow cotton when there is not enough space to grow food? Cotton might be an exotic fabric for the wealthy. Clothes will probably be lightweight because of the warmer climate and less need for durability as we move away from manual labor.

I've read that they are developing pigments that can change color based on the desire of the user. Most people aren't creative enough to develop their own patterns, so there will probably be color templates that can be purchased and downloaded.

Technology 4000 years from now will be so different that it will seem like magic to us now. Imagine having Moses describe the world today. Things we think don't involve any technology, like notebooks and pens, would seem incredible to him. Airplanes would be too much to even begin to process.
#2 - October 18, 2011, 01:56 PM

HJV

I took a class once on the history of fashion. Yes, it was a fun class. Things like purses, belts, jewlery, etc. have been around forever, far back into BC. So I have a hard time imagining those going away. I also have a hard time imaging fashion just going away. Every culture, at least for the rich, had fashion through history. So for the everyday person I could see jumpsuits, but unless part of your story is about people being forced to look like one another, fashion would still exsist. That said, I'd imagine future technology would make it easier to wash clothes, maybe even synthetic fabric that can just be wiped. Also, I would think that clothes would be more durable and last longer. So between those two things I'd expect people to have less clothes. And lastly, I'd guess that fabrics--there's some of this now--would be designed to keep you cooler or warmer depending on climate.

Don't know if that was helpful, but good luck!
#3 - October 18, 2011, 02:15 PM

Hats and barrettes that hover over cerebral implants for "thought control" of all our computer/iphone/dick-tracy-watch gadgets...

Clothes with optic fibres for beautiful light shimmers and shows...

Speaker implants in our molars so that we REALLY feel the bass....

Specs will be totally hot...and totally necessary as mini-screens to feed us all our Google info... Maybe a monocle (sp?), called the Google goggle.

Clothes with microbots and sensors to monitor our temps and the chemical composition of our sweat and if we're leaking blood from a cut so they can attend to us by automatically upping our deodorant under the arms or applying an antibiotic on the scraped knee... They'll let us know when we're feverish...
#4 - October 18, 2011, 05:56 PM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
Hopefully we will be back to the way things used to be with no cell phones and computers. I have feeling that might not be the case. I know for sure we will learn how to become invisible. Hopefully clothes will all look the same so that we don't go through life feeling like everyday is a fashion show. That is probably the case. I would go with that as the solution. All stereotypes will be put to rest and we will all be equal and dress the same. I like that.
#5 - November 18, 2011, 02:33 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Clothes that change temperature to keep you warm or cool, depending.
#6 - November 18, 2011, 02:46 PM

Members: