SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Wild Horses. . .

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
Can anyone recommend a book (or books) that describe well the experience of riding horses competitively? I don't ride, so it's hard for me to describe the sensual details of riding and jumping a horse- the smell, the sensation of movement, etc. I am less interested in technical details and more interested in the sensory experience. I have a copy of "The Perfect Distance" by Kim Ablon Whitney which is a lovely book but it has more about the technical aspects of competitive riding.

Anything from YA to MG to nonfiction to adult literature is welcome. . .

Thanks!

Lisa
#1 - November 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
Lisa
@elisaitw

Mike Jung

Maybe Jessica Burkhart's CANTERWOOD CREST series?
#2 - November 30, 2011, 06:56 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I picked up this e-book recently by an adult fantasy author who also raises horses--have heard it's quite useful, though I haven't read it yet as there aren't any horses in my WIP:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/writing-horses-judith-tarr/1100640725?ean=2940012409577&itm=1&usri=writing+horses

I would add that if you possibly can, go to a local stable and arrange for a trail ride so that you can get some of the sensory details of being on a horse firsthand, even if it isn't on a competitive level.  The staff there could also be valuable resources for you to consult.  Good luck!
#3 - November 30, 2011, 07:17 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Great suggestions, thanks!
#4 - November 30, 2011, 08:07 AM
Lisa
@elisaitw

If you have specific questions, you can pm me - I have 4 in the backyard.

Jane Smiley has horses and many of her adult works feature them thematically.  I believe she now has a YA book out as well.

Pam Munoz Ryan wrote the gorgeous, Paint the Wind, that is a wonderful horsey middle grade.  I adored it.

War Horse by Michael Murporgo is great as well.

Then of course you could go with classic Walter Farley and his Black Stallion series.
#5 - November 30, 2011, 08:15 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Lots to check out, I can't wait!

Lisa
#6 - November 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
Lisa
@elisaitw

The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff is a YA about a girl who rides away on horseback from an arranged marriage. Rosoff also raises horses, and it has lots of lovely details about that. However it doesn't have anything to do with riding competitively.
#7 - November 30, 2011, 11:21 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Members: