SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

A Ladder On The Stocking?

Discussion started on

Guys, I redirecting myself from my current w.i.p to writing a Christmas story to get in season and have a problem with my mc and got into a dilemma whenIrealised that I haven't aclue what children want these days for Christmas.
Can anyone help?
PS: mc is approximately nine years old and a girl. The only two pepole I know with kids that age have boys and they both want laptops and a facebook page.
I think I gogt a pram atnine.
Thanks.
#1 - December 06, 2011, 02:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
I was buying for several nine-year-old girls about three years back, and they would have loved to get laptops (or, to update that idea, some kind of electronic tablet). Would they have dared to ask for one, or to think they'd actually get one? Not so much.

One of them was already into cute clothes in a major way. The others, not at all.

And all of them were avidly collecting (not so much "playing with" as dressing and displaying) those 14" dolls (this side of the Pond, the big brand is American Girl) with clothes from different eras of history, and all kinds of accessories and furniture.
#2 - December 06, 2011, 04:58 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My 9yo daughter (10 in Jan) LOVES her American Girl doll. The only items on her Christmas list were about 10 accessories for the doll (plus a Harry Potter game for her DS). I'm sure she'd love a tablet or laptop but she knows it's out of the question.

Oh, she got her ears pierced last year, so, I know she'd love some new dangly earrings.
#3 - December 06, 2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks for that. Have to admit, I stil hink the idea tat a nine year old would be receiving a tablet for Christmas is a bit bonkers. But maybe that's just me.
#4 - December 06, 2011, 07:30 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I have two nine-year-old granddaughters, and they have very different personalities. They both loved the silver bracelets I bought them for their birthdays and had engraved with their names. But for one granddaughter, I also buy American Girl things for her doll, which she loves. For the other I buy thinking and building toys, because that's what she loves. There is a new book out that has you play a game with Google Earth. You use the program to go all over the world searching for clues and souvenirs.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a whole host of personalities with different preferences, but most girls like jewelry. (grin)

Laurel
#5 - December 06, 2011, 08:11 AM

Members: