SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Mustachioed Historical Figures of the 20th Century

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Looking for a list of 20th century historical figures who were more or less good guys (not dictators) and who had mustaches. This is for homeschool not literary purposes, just in case you wondered. Thank you.

:hairdude
#1 - December 06, 2011, 08:32 AM
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:57 PM by lillian »
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Stalin and Hitler immediately spring to mind, both of whom are not what you're looking for!

General Custer? Wrong century. Tom Selleck? He's kind of historical now, no?! Dali? Einstein?

Ooh it's quite a tricky one.

Isn't there a new picture book out about 'taches? It looked quite funny... not sure if it had any references to famous be-tached men, though.
#2 - December 06, 2011, 08:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Teddy Roosevelt and Taft both had mustaches.
#3 - December 06, 2011, 09:46 AM

AdamV

Charlie Chaplin, Ghandi, Groucho Marx, Hulk Hogan, Mike Ditka, Mark Spitz, Dale Earnhardt, most baseball players in the '70s.
#4 - December 06, 2011, 10:02 AM

Poster Plus
Well, considering that my son has been obsessed with Hitler and Stalin for months, History is actually an "elective" (because World Geography is his main Social Studies course), he's not much for researching beyond his interest levels (Hitler, Stalin, Lenin), and I can't shove history at him fast enough and he gets really crabby without history, and I'm trying to have a novel ready to query by Dec. 31 because the IRS frowns if you have writing expenses but you haven't actually been ummm .. submitting anything .. and my house is just a few steps away from being featured on TLC and my bossy big sister is coming in two weeks .... (whew) I'll take anything I can get even though I'd like more positive people to balance out the whole Hitler thing. (Do not ask my son to raise his hand in public.)  Oh yeah, said son is more likely to be interested in someone if he has a mustache. And no I'm not growing a neo-Nazi .. he's an Asperger's kid with a humongous WWII obsession and I'm a really tired homeschool mom.

Thank you.
#5 - December 06, 2011, 12:06 PM
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:19 PM by lillian »

Poster Plus
I appreciate everyone's input. I'm just trying to come up with ideas, until after the holidays when I have time to find or write up big units. We've studied WWI ... he pretty much has WWII oozing from his pores, and we've spent 5 days on the 6 day war. I ain't studyin' war no mo'  .... again all input is appreciated. Thank you.
#6 - December 06, 2011, 12:13 PM

TR came to mind for me, too. My 10 year old daughter (ack! She just turned 11...) has a good friend in her class who is also compelled by WWII. :)

Check out General Ambrose Burnside. He had quite the mustache! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Burnside
There's always Charles Darwin - more popular with some than others
Mark Twain (love him and his facial hair!)
Wyatt Earp
Salvador Dali - ok, maybe not hero material, but important artist...
Maybe Grizzly Adams?
Hope that helps!!
#7 - December 06, 2011, 12:19 PM
Robin

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
General Montgomery (of the Battle of Alamein fame in WWII) had a moustache, if you want to get more of an Axis/Allies balance.
#8 - December 06, 2011, 12:57 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
Thank you everyone for the input. While I prefer more positive people, my son does enjoy learning about the bad guys .. so I changed the topic heading ... I'm open to ideas at this point and didn't want things to get argumentative. I appreciate everyone's input.
#9 - December 06, 2011, 02:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
And I should add a PS to my post: I am not from the US, and know virtually nothing about General Custer, except that he was a general, American and had a mustache! I'm pretty sure that part of my knowledge is based on some rubbish US movie I watched as a kid or similar. Shame on me for my lack of world history knowledge but it does sound as though he's not someone I'd consider a hero either. But at least he had a 'tache so Lill can use him for a history lesson!

PS What about sports heroes? Taches were really cool in the 70s, I bet there were a few Olympic types with taches. I can only think of football players (by which I mean soccer).
#10 - December 06, 2011, 04:42 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Has anyone mentioned Albert Einstein yet?
#11 - December 06, 2011, 05:17 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Oh, also, Jim Henson!
#12 - December 06, 2011, 05:18 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
Stephanie, it's okay. I know where you're coming from. For a child obsessed with Hitler, Stalin, and Lenin .. Custer might be a welcome break.

Definitely leaning toward Teddy Roosevelt and Einstein and possibly Dali
#13 - December 06, 2011, 05:58 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Well, he was an actor, but the first person I thought of was Clark Gable.
#14 - December 06, 2011, 07:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Nikola Tesla
Rudyard Kipling
Friedrich Nietzsche had a huge mustache, but he wasn't 20th century.

Ned Flanders?

#15 - December 06, 2011, 07:49 PM
WITCHLANDERS
Lena Coakley
Exquisite storytelling plus atmospheric worldbuilding equals one stunning teen debut. Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
#16 - December 06, 2011, 07:59 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Che Guevarra (a hero to some), Ernest Hemmingway (most of the time), Walt Disney, Mahatma Gandhi, Pancho Villa, Martin Luther King
#17 - December 06, 2011, 08:01 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
Thanks!!!  It doesn't HAVE to be 20th century ... but that's his favorite .. he's definitely NOT into ancient history .. we did that last year .. he nearly keeled over

#18 - December 06, 2011, 08:28 PM

Poster Plus
These are some very interesting people. Thank you. I wouldn't have come up with these on my own. For him, history is "supplemental" on top of a world geography course so I usually try to cater a bit to his interests while trying to broaden his horizons.
#19 - December 07, 2011, 07:39 AM

Poster Plus
Custer, the "boy general," was considered a hero during the Civil War . . . at least, by those on the Union side.  :guns

But I am not a fan of his later career!
#20 - December 07, 2011, 10:58 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Che Guevarra (a hero to some), Ernest Hemmingway (most of the time), Walt Disney, Mahatma Gandhi, Pancho Villa, Martin Luther King

LOVE this list. Totally forgot about these hairy-faced men!
#21 - December 07, 2011, 12:30 PM

Members: