SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

ROACH

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Do kids still call the small part of a marijuana cigg. a roach?  Anyone know?
#1 - December 14, 2011, 07:58 AM

Poster Plus
I'll ask my teenagers when they come home - but they better not know!!!  (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
#2 - December 14, 2011, 11:50 AM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Did you try the Urban Dictionary?
#3 - December 14, 2011, 02:47 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

I have a crew of teens I ask these kinds of questions. I inquired and they said "joint" is the most common [almost exclusive] term used here [Central Florida].
They had never heard of a roach in reference to a pot cigarette.

I bounced a few other possibilities, but "joint" was the word that always came up.

Hope that helps.

#4 - December 14, 2011, 06:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks!  I'm feeling old.  What about roach clips?  Does anyone remember those?  But deal in the hippie era.
#5 - December 14, 2011, 08:10 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I don't think they use "roach clips" any more.   :old
#6 - December 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

...But I have heard they hide them in hollowed out thumb drives.
#7 - December 15, 2011, 06:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Wow times have changed .... I feel old. The memories came flooding back at the mention of roach clip. Marijuana on my high school campus was not uncommon. We were allowed to smoke between classes and at lunch in those days. (I didn't). And with 3000 students milling around at once, it was really hard for anyone to find out who had the pot. But egads ... I remember the smell .... at marching band practice ... wafting through the AC vents during literature.  Ahhh .. the memories.
#8 - December 15, 2011, 06:28 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
Do kids still call the small part of a marijuana cigg. a roach?  Anyone know?

I'm going to say no. Some kids might, but I think joint is your best bet.  Slang changes so much that I'd say that pot & weed & joint are your safest terms.  Alt, use language specific to your characters, a sort of shorthand that would be in their group--or if it's a character who doesn't smoke, use old fashioned terms to signpost that they are not using the now words.  At a music festival last year, frex, the people I was talking to asked if I wanted to "enjoy a little recreation" and later asked if I was up for going to "grab a smoke."  Granted, these weren't TEENS, but the point is that the language wasn't standard media/mainstream words in case of ears nearby.
#9 - December 15, 2011, 06:46 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad I asked.  The reason I was being so specific is becasue my MC finishes off the "roach" of the joint, by placing it (still burning) on his tongue and swallowing it.  I've seen it done numerous times, and may have partaken.  I don't remember.   :shame
#10 - December 16, 2011, 12:33 AM

MaryWitzl

My kids only knew about roaches being marijuana because of the song La Cucaracha. Here in the U.K., I've heard marijuana called weed, though people do still talk about 'joints'  or occasionally 'spliff'. I doubt my kids would be able to identify a roach clip.
#11 - December 16, 2011, 05:24 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
What would possess anybody to swallow something that is still burning ?
#12 - December 16, 2011, 01:53 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
People who may be pulled over or stopped, by the police with more than that roach.  It sounds painful, but a lot of salvia puts it out.
#13 - December 16, 2011, 07:51 PM

Poster Plus
People who may be pulled over or stopped, by the police with more than that roach.  It sounds painful, but a lot of salvia puts it out.

Enough saliva does the trick, but you'd need to be at a level of panic/paranoia to go there--or trying to look bad@ss. The pinch is quick & less potentially damaging to the throat. If one smokes sorta regularly, those couple fingers are likely to be a bit less sensitive anyhow bc there are times one, hypothetically, needs to pinch the cherry so as to save it for later. If I read a scene where there's a lit swallow instead of a pinch, I'd want circumstances in the moment or later to make me believe it--or I'd question the character's veracity (or appeal or mental stability).

The only time I've seen the lit swallow (aside from by those trying to look tough) was by a man who was still riding a coke high (& smoking to ease the descent) so was in the jittery state. Typically, pinch is pre-swallow. Even in a car*** with felony level contents that rolled up on a sobriety check point, the smoker still pinched before swallowing. For veracity, I'd suggest that the character has to be able to appear relaxed in such situations ESPECIALLY if there are Contents onboard too OR the cop has to be too young to know better.

Just my (perhaps too familiar with this topic) opinion.

---
*** YEARS ago. When one works in biker bars & dates the Wrong Sort, there are a few odd experiences that linger.  :whistle
#14 - December 18, 2011, 05:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Too true about past experiences lingering.      :dr

What does one do with the pinched cherry?  The purpose of the swallow is to dispose of all evidence.  I guess if it's a small thing, it may go undetected.  But in the swallow everything is gone.
#15 - December 18, 2011, 11:38 PM

Poster Plus
  What does one do with the pinched cherry?  The purpose of the swallow is to dispose of all evidence.  I guess if it's a small thing, it may go undetected.  But in the swallow everything is gone.

The cherry goes to ash pretty easily. It leaves residue, but unless there's a K9 unit, it's not an issue--and if there IS a K9 unit none of this matter bc of the Contents elsewhere in the car.

Plan A: Boot heel. Drop crushed cherry. Slide foot.  It's just ash/dirt on the floor. On something like CSI, that's going to be an issue, but in the real world, it's with the rest of the cigarette ash on the floor (bc you know if they're smoking, odds are they've covered it up at some point w cigs & if it's habit there are bound to be burn holes in your carpet unless you have the foresight to get mats down there.)

Alt: Slide your thumb & first two fingers together like you're snapping. Continue the motion to the palm of your hand. Then rub hand on jeans. It's ash/dirt. Again with the reality (cops don't notice; CSI/TV cops would totally catch that.) 
#16 - December 19, 2011, 08:41 AM

Members: