SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

YA books about dragons?

Discussion started on

Woods

I don't know why but I have a sudden hunger for books about dragons. The only book series about dragons I know of is the Eragon series. What dragon books do you recommend--both in YA and adult?

Thank you for your time!
#1 - December 13, 2011, 08:06 PM

There was one my librarian recommended--Dragon Slippers.  The author is Jessica Day George. 

I quite enjoyed it, even though I don't usually read dragony, fantasy type stuff.  Note: it was very girly.
#2 - December 13, 2011, 08:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Not sure if it's YA or MG but IVY'S EVER AFTER is a charming twist on the princess-dragon story, where the heroine battles the prince and runs off with the dragon. I loved it
#3 - December 13, 2011, 08:14 PM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
FIRELIGHT by Sophie Jordan

It's YA and not your average dragon story! I really enjoyed it. Haven't gotten the next book in the series yet, but I want to (the second book is called VANISH).
#4 - December 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Go with the classics -- Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery. There are about 22 novels. Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon books are good, too. Lot's of dragon books out there....

:) eab
#5 - December 13, 2011, 08:29 PM
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:40 PM by Auntybooks »

Can you go MG? Because Chris D'Lacey's dragon books are really good. I think the first one is Fire Star.
#6 - December 13, 2011, 08:39 PM
Robin

Mike Jung

I haven't read them yet, but I've heard good things about Alison Goodman's EON books. HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE is probably still more MG than YA, but it's got dragon action.
#7 - December 13, 2011, 08:43 PM

Woods

Everyone, thank you for the suggestions! Mr. Mike Jung, I heard of the EON books before and they're now definitely on my to-read list.

FIRELIGHT by Sophie Jordan

It's YA and not your average dragon story! I really enjoyed it. Haven't gotten the next book in the series yet, but I want to (the second book is called VANISH).

I haven't heard of this book before. How is it different from other dragon books? You make it sounds interesting. :)

Everyone, thanks again!
#8 - December 14, 2011, 06:40 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
One of my daughters loved Chris D'Lacey's books, and the other one (who's more open to books with romance elements) adored Firelight and Vanish.

In the adult realm, there's Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, about dragons in the Napoleonic wars (not joking!)  I wasn't a huge fan, but I was in the minority on that, so...  And there's a delightful little book called Tea with the Black Dragon by R.A. MacEvoy that came out in the 80s and has been re-released--it's a little dated technology-wise (it has a computery suspense plot) but still a wonderful story.  And there's Mary Brown's trilogy published by Baen as Here There Be Dragonnes. :dragon:
#9 - December 14, 2011, 07:34 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

There is a great post on the Musa blog today by YA author, Stephanie Campbell. She has a new YA book out, Dragon Night, and she is talking about the history of dragons.

http://musapublishing.blogspot.com/2011/12/history-of-dragons-by-stephanie.html

Also, Patricia Wrede has an older series out about Dragons. The first one is Dealing with Dragons.
#10 - December 14, 2011, 07:36 AM
Stained Glass Summer, Musa Publishing
Weaving Magic, YA Romance
Finders Keepers--MeeGenius Publishing
www.mindyhardwick.com

Woods

One of my daughters loved Chris D'Lacey's books, and the other one (who's more open to books with romance elements) adored Firelight and Vanish.

In the adult realm, there's Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, about dragons in the Napoleonic wars (not joking!)  I wasn't a huge fan, but I was in the minority on that, so...  And there's a delightful little book called Tea with the Black Dragon by R.A. MacEvoy that came out in the 80s and has been re-released--it's a little dated technology-wise (it has a computery suspense plot) but still a wonderful story.  And there's Mary Brown's trilogy published by Baen as Here There Be Dragonnes. :dragon:

There is a great post on the Musa blog today by YA author, Stephanie Campbell. She has a new YA book out, Dragon Night, and she is talking about the history of dragons.

http://musapublishing.blogspot.com/2011/12/history-of-dragons-by-stephanie.html

Also, Patricia Wrede has an older series out about Dragons. The first one is Dealing with Dragons.

Interesting! Thank you.  :dragon:
#11 - December 14, 2011, 08:33 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
After reading this thread, I've realized that there are a lot of dragon books I haven't read, so maybe it's not different. Then again, I haven't heard of any other dragon books where dragons look/act/pass as human, but can transform into their dragon form at will.
#12 - December 14, 2011, 09:56 AM

Ani -- here is a discussion that lists  modern shapeshifting dragon books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx2AMPSXRKD8TMC

There are a few series out. Also, you can look at Japanese and Chinese mythologies -- lots of shapeshifting dragons there. They appear in children's movies such as Spirited Away.

#13 - December 14, 2011, 11:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Thanks Aunty! I've always liked dragons, so I'll be on the look for these!

p.s. Now that you say it, I've seen Spirited Away (loved that movie) and remember seeing a movie or TV series (I think it was Chinese, but not sure - there were English subtitles) where there was someone that shifted into a dragon. It's possible my memory isn't working right or just needed a kick start to get it going again.

So I guess I'll take back my unusual comment and just say that I really loved FIRELIGHT!
#14 - December 14, 2011, 02:09 PM

How about The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley? Granted, the princess slays the dragons...
#15 - December 14, 2011, 03:34 PM

One of my new favorite dragon book is actually not that new - but it is new to me! Dragon's bait by Vivian Vande Velde. Loved it! The heroine is chained to a stake as a dragon sacrifice but she yells at the dragon and instead of eating her he becomes curious of her and shifts into human shape. Loved this book!

Errr, my book has dragons in it, but it doesn't come out til 2013.
#16 - December 14, 2011, 04:13 PM
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Patricia Wrede's Dealing with Dragons...I think that is the title of the first book of a trilogy. Headstrong princess chooses dragon over marriage...very funny, a tongue-in-cheek take on fairy tales.
#17 - December 15, 2011, 06:36 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I thought Naomi Novik's Temeraire was wonderful.

Try "Eon: Dragoneye Reborn" by Alison Goodman- Asian dragons with a gender bending twist as well. Fun read- I believe it has a sequel.

http://www.amazon.com/Eon-Alison-Goodman/dp/0142417114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328668193&sr=8-1

Lisa
#18 - February 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
Lisa
@elisaitw

blythe

Not a mythological dragon, a Komodo dragon:  Jamsrach's Menagerie by carol Birch is jaw-dropping.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/31/books/review/jamrachs-menagerie-by-carol-birch-book-review.html?pagewanted=all

( A book that can really get the gears of imagination turning in new ways.)
#19 - February 07, 2012, 06:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Well, if you want a fierce and scary dragon that must be killed in order to save the kingdom, you could always try my THE COMING OF THE DRAGON, which is inspired by BEOWULF and was written as YA but marketed as upper MG.

I second EON (haven't yet read EONA). Also, I don't think anybody has mentioned the dragons in The Earthsea books. They twist and twine throughout the series, but I particularly love the later books, TEHANU and TALES FROM EARTHSEA and THE OTHER WIND, where (AND THIS IS A SPOILER SO DON'T KEEP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW) girls meld with dragons in gorgeous and heartbreaking ways. Not that I don't equally love the original series; it was just a bit patriarchal!
#20 - February 07, 2012, 07:00 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Can I just duck in here to say that my daughters got The Coming of the Dragon as one of their Christmas presents and thought it was awesome?
#21 - February 07, 2012, 07:19 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Can I just duck in here to say that my daughters got The Coming of the Dragon as one of their Christmas presents and thought it was awesome?

If it were up to me, you sure could, Marissa! Thank you!
#22 - February 08, 2012, 05:45 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
For adults:  A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire series
#23 - February 09, 2012, 05:08 AM

updog

The DragonKeeper Chronicles, starting with "Dragonspell" by Donita K. Paul is probably more middle-grade than YA, but it's a great series. "Tears of Artamon" series by Sara Ash is really good, and it's for adults. Mark Robson's Dragon Orb books (FIRESTORM) are YA. I haven't read them yet but I've heard good things about them.

#24 - February 09, 2012, 03:31 PM

Woods

SLAYERS by C. J. Hill.
#25 - March 29, 2012, 06:28 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Haven't read it yet, but The Dragon of Cripple Creek, by Troy Howell, is set in Colorado. I bought it for a friend whose mom was from Cripple Creek, but felt I should, um, review it first, you know? Carefully, so the binding doesn't crack?
#26 - March 29, 2012, 07:15 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
When I read the thread title, I can't help thinking of the Potter parody of Katie Perry's Firework song (Firebolt) that my kids like to belt: "Do you ever feel like no one seems to know your love for dragons or dressing up in cloaks?"

Okay, so they're middle grade, but Sarah Prineas's Magic Thief series has a dragon, and so does Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series.
#27 - March 29, 2012, 07:26 AM

Haven't read it yet, but The Dragon of Cripple Creek, by Troy Howell, is set in Colorado. I bought it for a friend whose mom was from Cripple Creek, but felt I should, um, review it first, you know? Carefully, so the binding doesn't crack?
My daughter's in the middle of that one right now!
#28 - March 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
One of my favorite dragon books is Dragon's Keep by Janet Lee Carey. It's well written and a page turner. I loved Dragon Slippers - it's a terrific dragon book but it's more middle grade than YA. Still, it has a terrific, strong female protagonist. It has two sequels, Dragon Flight and Dragon Spear.

The Patricia Wreade books are fabulous! I've read them a couple of times and they are my absolute favorites. She is such a fabulous writer. The books are so much fun to read.

LindaB
#29 - April 01, 2012, 09:09 AM

Members: