SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

AGE RANGE FOR PB'S

Discussion started on

Ilanna

Can someone please tell me the age ranges for pictures books? My father passed on the most wonderful story to me last night and I think it would be told best as a PB, but I've never done this type of book before, so it's a new experience for me. Thanks.
#1 - December 24, 2011, 05:28 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
They generally say ages 4-8, but of course under 4s and over 8s also enjoy them. My suggestion (what worked for me) is to read a TON of picture books to see what works.
#2 - December 24, 2011, 06:23 AM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
It sometimes depends on the publisher. Some publishers prefer "younger" picture books, more like the 2-6 year-old range. Others go a bit older in the 4-8 range. And they may also publish both.
#3 - February 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
----------------------
Funny Author Lady
Founder, #Storystorm
Co-Chair, RUCCL 1-on-1 Plus
taralazar.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Many publishers are having their pbs skew younger these days because many parents are trying to get their kids into chapter books earlier. I'd go for 2-6.

FWIW.
#4 - February 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
There are different kinds of picture books! So it's not enough to say what the overall range is. The difference between a 4-year-old and an 8-year-old is enormous. There are very simple picture books to be read to toddlers, such as More More More Said the Baby by Vera B. Williams, there are what you might call "standard" picture books such as The Snowy Day and then at the other end are picture book stories in school settings, such as The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill.

I recommend a reference book such as A Family of Readers to help you make sense of what a picture book can be (the link is to my review of the book, which will tell you more about it--you should be able to find it in the library).
#5 - February 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Members: