SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Newbery and Caldecott contenders for 2012

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Any guesses? Predictions? Comments? Concerns?

(I looked to see if there was another thread on this topic but couldn't find one.)
#1 - December 27, 2011, 11:04 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

I want Okay For Now, which I loved, to win the Newbery.  Everyone seems to be predicting Breadcrumbs or Bigger than a Breadbox (I haven't read either, but I need to!).

I have heard buzz for I Want My Hat Back for Caldecott.  I would like to see You WILL Be My Friend! get something.
#2 - December 27, 2011, 11:22 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Haven't read Okay for Now, but Breadcrumbs looks like a good Newbery contender to me.
#4 - December 27, 2011, 12:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Is Breadcrumbs out?  I had our local B & N look it up for a gift, and the lady didn't recognize the title.  Go figure!
#5 - December 27, 2011, 12:15 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Breadcrumbs is out. I got it from my library recently.

My prediction is Okay for Now for the Newbery. I've read other good books this year, but to me OFN is a runaway winner.
#6 - December 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

I LOVED Breadcrumbs.
#7 - December 27, 2011, 01:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I've heard nothing but good things about Okay for Now. I'm still waiting for my copy to come in at the library!
#8 - December 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Mike Jung

Err. I haven't read OKAY FOR NOW or BREADCRUMBS yet, so I'm going to refrain from making any predictions - I'd probably refrain anyway, as my predictive powers are weak - but I'd love to see Joanne Rocklin's ONE DAY AND ONE AMAZING MORNING ON ORANGE STREET get some attention, it's a wonderful, wonderful book.

I WANT MY HAT BACK is aaaaaawesome! I also think Mary Lyn Ray and Marla Frazee have a serious contender with STARS.

ETA: Also, what about the Printz Award? My short list thus far is FALL FOR ANYTHING by Courtney Summers and IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma, although again, I haven't read very many of the contenders - Sara Zarr's HOW TO SAVE A LIFE will get a lot of support, I'm sure, and I've heard really good things about Steve Brezenoff's BROOKLYN, BURNING.
#9 - December 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:29 PM by Mike Jung »

For the Caldecott, I loved Patrick McDonnell's ME...JANE, Stephen Savage's wordless pb, WHERE'S WALRUS?, and Michael Hall's unique PERFECT SQUARE. I read so many awesome pbs this year. The decisions will be tough, I'm sure.
#10 - December 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hi,

I am reading Okay for Now and liking it although I was not a fan of The Wednesday Wars. I've heard talk of The Monster Calls and Inside Out and Back Again as Newbery contenders. I read and appreciated the latter but haven't read Monster. I really like Eddie's War by Carol Saller and Junonia by Kevin Henkes better than either Okay for Now or Inside Out. I hope both of them (Saller and Henkes) get recognition for their quiet but beautifully written books.
#11 - December 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I would have liked THE WEDNESDAY WARS to have won in its year; it's one of my all-time favourites. Too bad they can't give awards retroactively.

I think Schmidt is a great writer. But I didn't much like OKAY FOR NOW. It was just...okay (heh)...but there were a few scenes that were hard to take. I think it should have been a YA instead of an MG because of the violence and the theme of child abuse. As a YA, it would have been appropriate. (And I would have skipped reading it if I had known.) 
#12 - December 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I loved Okay For Now.
#13 - December 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

I just blogged about this today.

www.riterdave.blogspot.com

I'm a fan of OKAY FOR NOW and WITH A NAME LIKE LOVE. But I also absolutely love A Monster Calls, The Trouble with May Amelia, and Dead End in Norvelt.

Breadcrumbs was not on my list. I saw it pop up early, but it's not been getting much attention lately. Most of the readers I know feel the ending "confrontation" was slight. But the writing itself is quite well done.

I've also seen Heart and Soul tossed out there for both Newbery and Caldecott.

Caldecott" Me...Jane and Grandpa Green are showing up on a lot of lists. I'm leaning towards Swilr by Swirl and All the Water in the World.

Printz" Blink and Caution has been talked about a lot. I'm blown away by Scorpio Races and Leverage (which has REALLY been overlooked this year) I think Ashfall deserves some recognition.

keep reading and writing,
dave r

#14 - December 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

I haven't read Okay for Now, but I glanced through it. Not really my kind of book--but definitely well-written and the sort of book that might win.
I loved 13 Gifts by Wendy Mass.
And I can't wait to read Breadcrumbs, which does sound like my kind of book.
I love Kevin Henke's writing, too, and want to read Junonia.

What about Wonderstruck? Or The Penderwicks at Point Mouette?
#15 - December 27, 2011, 05:50 PM
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:53 PM by RuthD »

It's fascinating to me how people react to different books, esp. re: awards.  So easy to see that we all bring diff. things to the table as readers or prefer diff. reading experiences.

You can count me in the "liked Okay For Now much better than Wednesday Wars" camp.  My only exception is that I didn't like ONE twist of Okay For Now toward the end--if you've read it, you might be able to guess which one I mean-- because I felt it was just one twist too many.  It's a beautifully written book and everything I want to do in my own writing.  I do feel it's older MG, but not quite YA.  Or maybe young YA with a MG sensibility--either way, that's usually the age range my own writing lands in.

Sometimes I find the sort of books that win these awards deadly dull reading (I'm sorry to say, usually historical fiction turns me right off, for instance).  But Okay For Now made me stop several times from pure admiration of a perfectly-crafted sentence.  I could also relate to the narrator, big time.  And to be honest, it made me cry real tears more than once, which is more than I can say for most books.

If we are talking younger to middle MG, I have to give a shout-out to my friend Linda's Hound Dog True, which of course I think is lovely and understated and so neatly crafted, as all her writing is.  Though I read this ms. many times in a variety of forms (Linda being a crit. buddy), I STILL found myself sniffing over one page in particular when reading it in book form.  Linda never fails to touch my heart and mind and puts her finger on why I love and write MG.

#16 - December 27, 2011, 06:08 PM

Yes. HOUND DOG TRUE is magnificent. "Lovely" is the perfect descriptive word to sum it up.
#17 - December 27, 2011, 06:56 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Caldecott: I WANT MY HAT BACK is fabulous! But are the illustrations "enough" for it to get noticed for Caldecott? I'm really not sure since I don't read many pbs right now. But the illos in WONDERSTRUCK were fab even though I didn't like the story as much as HUGO. I would give it a Caldecott over a Newbery.

Newbery: OKAY FOR NOW (Schmidt), AVIARY (Kathleen O'Dell), CLOSE TO FAMOUS (Joan Bauer), BIGGER THAN A BREAD BOX (Snyder)

Printz: IMAGINARY GIRLS (Suma), BLOOD RED ROAD (Young), BETWEEN SHADES OF GREY (Sepetys), EVERYBODY SEES THE ANTS (King), HOW TO SAVE A LIFE (Zarr), CHIME (Billingsley)
#18 - December 27, 2011, 06:59 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
What about ... The Penderwicks at Point Mouette?

I admit there are books whose writing I admire and yet don't personally love--books I know are ripe for those kinds of awards. (Maybe I am more of a commercial reader or something...) However, if I'm going to pick a book I love love love that also has the required literary element, then YES from me to the Penderwicks! How could I have forgotten?
#19 - December 27, 2011, 08:19 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I have nothing to add to this discussion.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read any of these books.  I spend most of the year reading adult books, then about this time of the year--I reserve all the contenders at the library and go through as many as I can as quickly as I can.  So thanks for all these suggestions.

But have you guys noticed how many of these potential award-winners were written by males?  It seems to happen that way most years--and 90% of the people who write for kids are females.  (I think the actual winners are more evenly balanced.)
#20 - December 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Betsy, I did notice that, esp. when a friend named his top 5 Caldecott contenders and every single one was written by a male.  I think we've had this discussion before, regarding the off-beat PB and the male author/illustrator, and how those books seem to stand out more, get more attention.

Isn't there something in the Caldecott wording that makes it sound like the award is given for breaking new ground in PBs?  Do males typically break new ground while females cultivate and perfect the old ground?

I feel sad that this may also be the case in MG and maybe even YA, too--that books written by guys get more press.  Men have been raised to take more chances, I guess?

But there's nothing in the Newbery or Printz award wording that says those awards are for breaking new ground, right?  Just perfection in that field . . .

This topic always makes an interesting discussion, but I hope the fur won't start flying over it here.  (Spoken like a female, right?)
#21 - December 28, 2011, 06:15 AM

I really need to catch up on my newbery contenders. As for the caldecott, "Wonderstruck" and "Grandpa Green" are both strong contenders. I also love "I want my hat back" but we'll see what the committee thinks. I need to go get "Me..Jane". To the Library and Bookstore!

Betsy - I was thrilled when the winner of the Caldecott was announced this year, female and a first time illustrator. Win, win all the way.  :snowmanjump:
#22 - December 28, 2011, 06:24 AM
"Maya was Grumpy"
Flashlight Press 
May 2013.
www.pippinmathur.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Hmmmm...all of my picks for Newbery and Printz are written by women except OKAY FOR  NOW....
#23 - December 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I picked up a ton of beautiful picture books this year, but my number one choice for the Caldecott Medal would be Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet.  I thought the way she used mixed-media collage to present Tony Sarg’s step-by-step creative process was brilliant.  She made a nonfiction book exciting for children and adults.

Can you tell how much I enjoyed it?  LOL!

I also think these picture books are Caldecott contenders:

Blackout by John Rocco.

How does one go about illustrating a story that takes place during a blackout?  I was thoroughly entertained by the child’s point of view during this crisis.  It positively glowed! 

Swirl by Swirl by Joyce Sidman
Illustrations by Beth Krommes

The Princess and the Pig by Jonathan Emmet
Illustrations by Poly Bernatene

The Gingerbread Man, Loose in the School by Laura Murray
Illustrations by Mike Lowery

:love
#24 - December 28, 2011, 09:42 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I would love, love, love to see a Penderwicks title place in the Newberys.
#25 - December 28, 2011, 10:17 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles

But have you guys noticed how many of these potential award-winners were written by males?  It seems to happen that way most years--and 90% of the people who write for kids are females.  (I think the actual winners are more evenly balanced.)

Harold Underdown makes an interesting comment here, on this link: http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/shelftalker/?p=593

Recently the BBC in the UK had various 'faces' judge the sports personality of the year - and not a single woman contender was included! Turns out that they'd asked editors of 'lads' mags' to judge, and of those, only one had even put forward a single woman. So... what I'm saying is that it's not just about the BOOKS that the judges are reviewing, but also the judges. I couldn't find any stats on the ratio of men to women on the judging panels... that'd be interesting too, no?
#26 - December 28, 2011, 01:32 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Yes. HOUND DOG TRUE is magnificent. "Lovely" is the perfect descriptive word to sum it up.

Absolutely!

Also for the Printz award, I would give a nod to Lauren Myracle's SHINE.
#27 - December 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Enjoyed Wonderstruck. bread runs was beautifully written and so was LIESL and PO.  I'm currently reading Scorpio Races and re writing and story are strong.

I love hearing about great books.
#28 - December 29, 2011, 05:13 AM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

laura pauling

I loved Okay For Now but maybe I went in with low expectations. The story was very moving and the writing excellent - even if some twists were one too many. I think it's more MG for adults. :) But that is often what wins awards.

But I haven't read Breadcrumbs, Bigger than a Breadbox, Hound Dog True, Liesl and Po...I hope to. It will be interesting to see!
#29 - December 29, 2011, 08:30 AM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
A lot of great titles already mentioned!

I think DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE will be a strong contender for the Printz.

I haven't read widely enough this year to be able to make many predictions based off my own reading. I did read ONE AMAZING MORNING ON ORANGE STREET and I could see that getting an Honor sticker. Although it's not similar in plot at all, it reminded me a bit of THE WESTING GAME in its feel--many different characters and a little bit of mystery. Also, having grown up with a huge orange tree in my backyard, it tugged at my sentimental/nostalgic strings. :)

One book I heard a lot of Newbery buzz about earlier in the year was JEFFERSON'S SONS. Also AMELIA LOST by Candace Fleming.

For Caldecott I think Kadir Nelson's HEART AND SOUL has a good shot, and maybe JONATHAN AND THE BIG BLUE BOAT by Philip Stead. I could also see A BALL FOR DAISY by Chris Raschka, BLUE CHICKEN by Deborah Freedman,  or LITTLE WHITE RABBIT by Kevin Henkes getting a sticker.
#30 - December 29, 2011, 10:12 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Members: