SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Newbery and Caldecott contenders for 2012

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Norvelt is next up in my TBR pile. Never heard of the honor book with Stalin's name in the title (sorry, I forget it). But I'm guessing that's also historical? Newbery really loves historical, despite the fact that so many editors and agents say it doesn't sell.

Very surprised by the almost total passing-over of Okay for Now, though I also found some of the later plot twists coming out of nowhere and over the top. But now I'm very eager to see what I think of Gantos's book alongside it.
#61 - January 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

I liked Dead End in Norvelt quite a bit. (The audio is fantastic.)  But I was a little surprised by the few honors (There was a collective gasp when they announced only two honor books). Given that there were SO MANY books this year worthy of the silver (and gold) stickers, I was more amazed there were not more honor books.

keep writing,
dave r
#62 - January 23, 2012, 02:45 PM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
The Stalin book I had heard of ... considered buying it for my Stalin obsessed 12 year old.
#63 - January 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Yes, Dave, I couldn't believe that really *nothing* else could be ranked *as good as* IOABA or STALIN.
#64 - January 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Members: