SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Newbery and Caldecott contenders for 2012

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Everyone should have an Uncle Potluck--Hound Dog True--Made me cry and feel good about why I write.

I read Shine and liked it, but haven't read enough of the others to have a comparison base.  I am reading Sara Zarr's Once Was Lost, but is that this year?  As usual I love her writing.
#31 - January 02, 2012, 08:06 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Everyone should have an Uncle Potluck--Hound Dog True--Made me cry and feel good about why I write.

Me too, hairaplenty!
#32 - January 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Let me add The Man in the Moon by William Joyce.  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!  I got it for Christmas, but just now got around to reading it.  Cried like a big baby too, which is slightly ironic considering the subject matter.  Hah! 

The Caldecott Medal would fit quite nicely on the cover! :star2
#33 - January 03, 2012, 08:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
But have you guys noticed how many of these potential award-winners were written by males?  It seems to happen that way most years--and 90% of the people who write for kids are females.  (I think the actual winners are more evenly balanced.)

Betsy, I also think this is very strange. I noticed that when Publisher's Weekly came out with its list of the best children's books of 2011. There was maybe one by a woman. I was really floored. Not that the ones they listed aren't great books, but the "odds" would predict something different. Here's the list:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/best-books/2011/childrens-picture#list

Perhaps men are more likely to put their work first. I know my writing usually takes a backseat to family life and obligations.

Carrie
#34 - January 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

My vote goes to Wonderstruck for either award.
#35 - January 03, 2012, 10:36 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I think it's more MG for adults. :) But that is often what wins awards.

This is definitely how I see it -- and since I'm not much of a MG reader these days, I seldom read the contenders.  I have loved many of the older Newbery books, but the more recent years' (with a couple of notable exceptions) haven't interested me at all -- and my son, who's prime age for Newbery books (supposedly) has shown no interest (except in SAVVY, which he loved).

Of course, it's still interesting to follow and wonder :)
#36 - January 04, 2012, 08:24 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

I think Okay For Now should win because it's simply a GREAT book, not because it's "one of those books that should win" or "more for adults" or anything like that.  It is high-quality, full of heart, has important themes, and is great for the age group.  Is it the first thing kids of that age group will reach for?  Probably not.

So I just went to look at the language on the ALA site.  The Newbery is for the "most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."

Distinguished, on my laptop dictionary:  "successful, authoritative, and commanding great respect."

There are many books out there that were probably much loved, but would not get respect, great or otherwise.  Maybe a "popularity" award is called for, determined by # of check-outs by patrons.

All I know is--I read Okay For Now and felt great respect for Schmidt's work all the way through, as well as being entertained and touched and interested.  I wished it was me that had written those words--right up 'til (almost) the end.
#37 - January 05, 2012, 08:32 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I'm glad they have this award -- I think it's a great idea to keep a record of strong contributions to children's literature.  Even if few(er) kids might read them now, I bet they'll appreciate them when they're older.  Of course, I read most of the Newbery winners of my day -- granted, there weren't nearly as many kids' books back then, so I didn't have as many options.  But still, I loved most of them!
#38 - January 05, 2012, 09:06 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon

There are many books out there that were probably much loved, but would not get respect, great or otherwise.  Maybe a "popularity" award is called for, determined by # of check-outs by patrons.

Well, they do have the Young Readers Choice Award every year which is pretty much a popularity contest, although the nominees are selected by librarians.
#39 - January 07, 2012, 10:41 AM

Some of the state contests are voted on by kids. I know Nebraska's is. The nominees are picked by librarians, but lately there have been some nominees that seemed to be geared toward a reluctant reader.
#40 - January 07, 2012, 01:06 PM

Quietly going about the business of being awesome
Member.
Poster Plus
My 12 yo daughter and I both agree: Okay for Now is AWESOME. Such a great book. The voice leaps off the page. We both loved it so much, we both, independently, told my husband, "You should read this!" So he's reading it right now (we've got a bullypulpit here).

We often share and discuss books. She's on the Teen Advisory Board at her middle school. Today I bought Anne Ursu's Breadcrumbs. She told me, "Oh, I've heard of that one. I want to read it." It was a book they discussed at her last TAB meeting.

They should poll young readers and adults and whatever books rank highly on both lists -- those should be the ones that win.
#41 - January 07, 2012, 01:58 PM
Kristen Lippert-Martin
TABULA RASA -- EgmontUSA Fall 2014
Twitter ID: @KLipMart
www.kristenlippertmartin.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I just finished Okay For Now.  Awesome and riveting. 

When I really thought about the plot, there are some unbelievable elements--plot twists, character transformations, etc.  (I'd like to be more specific, but don't want to post any spoilers.) The book keeps you so transfixed that you don't really notice any of this until you think about it later. 

And I agree that the theme is a really important one.

I can see it going either way for the Newbery.
#42 - January 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

My goal is to read as many Newbery shortlist books as I can by Jan 23. I've reviewed a couple on my blog; hope to do a few more.

The Romeo and Juliet Code
The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman   :love

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette

The Emerald Atlas

Some that I really want to read are:
Breadcrumbs
Wonderstruck
The Trouble With May Amelia
No Passengers Beyond This Point
The Wikkeling
The Unwanteds

I won't get to all of these in the next two weeks, obviously. Next year I'm going to start earlier!

#43 - January 07, 2012, 02:30 PM
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 02:32 PM by RuthD »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I finished INSIDE OUT & BACK AGAIN and WONDERSTRUCK.  I liked INSIDE OUT a lot.  In another year, I'd pick it for a Newbery. But I think OKAY FOR NOW is the most emotionally resonant.  On to HOUND DOG TRUE, which I know I'll love...because who could not love Linda's books.
#44 - January 07, 2012, 11:18 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
For a LOT of discussion, go to the School Library Journal's Heavy Medal Blog. They ended up with a short list of ten books, and after voting, Okay for Now came out on top. Although I can see some of its merits, I don't agree that it's great and really didn't even enjoy it. Just goes to show how taste figures into our opinions. Amelia Lost  and A Monster Calls were named their two honor books. It was lots of fun to get involved in the discussion, but, I have to admit, I kept wishing I could mention my 2011 book and ask if anybody had read it. Now, if I stopped writing and just read, I wouldn't have that problem!
#45 - January 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I just got my copy of OKAY FOR NOW from the library, but my son grabbed it first. I must learn to be quicker!

#46 - January 14, 2012, 10:58 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
INSIDE OUT was just okay. Loved BREADCRUMBS and WONDERSTRUCK. My favorite though, beautifully written, is LEISL AND PO.
#47 - January 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I’ve been going back over stacks of picture books, and I think Blackout by John Rocco is going to win the Caldecott Medal.  Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet will likely be an honor book.  Actually, I bet there’s going to be several honor books this year. 

But then again...

Opinions vary, and who knows what the committee will decide.  I hope these two picture books win, though! :reading2
#48 - January 16, 2012, 04:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Sherry Neidigh posted this fun link on Facebook:

http://www.webcastinc.com/client/ala-webcast/

(Live Webcast from ALA Youth Media Awards, January 23, 2012 - 7:45 CT) :EmoticonCuckooClock:

#49 - January 22, 2012, 06:57 PM

I take back what I said. I finally buckled down and read Okay For Now, and I loved it. I will be happy if it wins. Wish I could watch the live webcast, but I'll be in the car driving to work ... I'm checking it out as soon as I get there, though! Thanks for the link, Kimberly!

For Caldecott I like Me... Jane.
#50 - January 22, 2012, 07:40 PM

Tinamarie

I finished reading Okay For Now last week and felt surprisingly riled up by the end.

(Let me preface the remainder of my comments by first stating that I'd LOVE to be half as good a writer as Schmidt - I think he is AMAZING.)

I loved everything about the first third of the book:  the main character, all the other characters, the incredible voice, the prose, the premise, the humor, and the powerful and yet restrained way in which the abuse was communicated.

But, but, but...

Throughout the last 2/3 of the book, I found the plot points so wildly implausible that they jerked me right out of the story.  I can't remember the last time I read a book where I found myself thinking 'no, you're kidding' or 'seriously?' every few pages. Which was painful (sorry to sound dramatic, but I get dramatic over these things!) because I was so emotionally invested in the book and found all other elements of the story SO entertaining. 

But the crazy plot turns - I just couldn't swallow them.
#51 - January 22, 2012, 09:14 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Of all the 2011 releases I read, across all age ranges, the only one that made me cry was OKAY FOR NOW. I'm hoping it wins.
#52 - January 22, 2012, 10:57 PM
NERVE  ~Truth or Dare, without the Truth~ Dial, Fall 2012
CHARISMA ~Gene Therapy Gone Bad~ Dial, Winter 2015
www.jeanneryan.com

Anyone want to comment?  I feel like any speculating I did was in vain--as usual!  I never seem to have my finger on the pulse of awards people.
#53 - January 23, 2012, 07:11 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Did anyone else hear the collective gasp when it was announced there were only TWO Newbery Honor books chosen? Wow!

On a completely separate note: a huge congratulations to Maggie Stiefvater for her Printz Honor!!! Awesome!  :bow:
#54 - January 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:14 AM by lgolden »
EVERY DAY AFTER--Delacorte Press/Random House Children's Books, June 11, 2013

Web: www.authorlauragolden.com
Twitter: @laurapgolden

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Yes, I heard the gasp and I was surprised.  I thought there were more than two lovely contenders this year that could legitimately receive an honor.  That said, it is not my committee!!!
#55 - January 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I was surprised that there were so many award books I'd never even heard of. My library is tiny and often doesn't get the award books until many months after the awards have been given, so I don't expect to have read all of them---but I've at least heard of most of them, usually! (However...I did make sure they had The Scorpio Races a while back--so that's one they have a jump on. Lgolden, I'm with you with that icon! :) ) Glad for the ones I recognized on there, although also surprised that some very lovely and moving books weren't even mentioned. :(
#56 - January 23, 2012, 07:48 AM

Looking forward to reading many on the list I haven't yet, but also extremely disappointed Okay for Now wasn't recognized.
And yes, how wonderful for Maggie--congratulations!
#57 - January 23, 2012, 09:14 AM

Looking forward to reading many on the list I haven't yet, but also extremely disappointed Okay for Now wasn't recognized.

It got an Odyssey Honor (for audio books.)
#58 - January 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
The Newbery Club in my district read OKAY FOR NOW, WONDERSTRUCK, and INSIDE OUT AND BACK AGAIN, so it was cool to see these three (of 9 read) titles end up on lists!
Our Newbery "committee" ALMOST put NORVELT on the list for the kids to read back in Sept but didn't! Gah!
The STALIN book -- wow! Never heard of it!

For our Printz Club, we read NONE of the books on the final list of 5 and only one of the MOrris books! We will now! One teen and myself did read SCORPIO RACES and told the group they should pick it up, so I'm glad we at least discussed one of the winners. :) On the plus side, I had bought all 5 Printzes for my lib collection even though I didn't read them all, so I felt like a winner, lol!

For Caldecott, BLACKOUT is a very cool book, and our J Librarian loves the garden animals book.

Such an exciting day for me at the library and the Newbery Club lunch! Congrats to all the winners! Now I have MORE reading to do!
#59 - January 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:32 PM by dinalapomy101 »
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
It got an Odyssey Honor (for audio books.)

And if you haven't read it already, I HIGHLY recommend listening to it. The narrator is terrific. Reminds of the narrator for MARCELLO IN THE REAL WORLD. Need to check and see if it's the same guy!
#60 - January 23, 2012, 10:50 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Members: