SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

12 X 12 in 2012 Picture Book Challenge

Discussion started on

I'm probably crazy, but I just signed up for Julie Hedlund's 12 X 12 in 2012: Picture Book Writing Challenge http://writeupmylife.com/2011/11/30/12-x-12-in-2012-picture-book-writing-challenge/. The goal is to write twelve complete pb drafts in 2012. I figured I had all those PiBoIdMo ideas--why not use 'em! Anyone wanna join me?
#1 - December 30, 2011, 07:36 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Member.
Poster Plus
 :cheerleader
I signed up too.  Figured it couldn't hurt to have some external motivation, structure, focus and support.  Best of luck to everyone who is going to give it a try.  I'm sure we'll come up with some great PBs from the effort.
#2 - December 30, 2011, 07:48 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I'm signed up and can't wait to get started.  I'm on vacation now, and will probably tackle my first one when my family is snowboarding/skiing later this week. I fleshed out some of my favorite PiBoIdMo ideas on the plane, and can't wait to see where they lead.   

Yay!  So glad that you're taking the plunge, Katy.  I can't wait to read all your new manuscripts! 

Glad you're doing the 12 x 12 challenge too, Majanecka!  I have a habit of spending most of my time revising existing manuscripts, so it's wonderful to have a challenge like this inspire me to write new ones.  When you think about it, one PB draft a month really isn't asking that much (although I'm in for it in May when I do NaPiBoWriWee again and have to write 7 that month, for a total of 18 in 2012). 

Julie set up a wonderful and supportive Facebook page for the 12 x 12 group.  It's definitely a great way to add some new manuscripts to our files. :)

#3 - December 30, 2011, 08:40 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I'm signed up, but I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish all the things I want to in 2012 and still manage to eat and sleep.  :hanginthere
#4 - December 31, 2011, 08:37 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I know you can do it, Wendy!  :cheerleader  The best part of the 12 x 12 is that you can fit it into your schedule.  If you take ten minutes a day to flush out one of your favorite PiBoIdMo ideas, I know you'll come up with an amazing draft by the end of each month.   
#5 - December 31, 2011, 08:41 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Yay, just signed up! I need some motivation to do something with 2 years' worth of PiBo ideas!  :chickendance
#6 - December 31, 2011, 08:52 AM

writerdebm

Sketching out next year's writing and thinking of joining, not quite sure yet, but boy it looks great!!

Good luck to all you 12 by 12ers!
#7 - December 31, 2011, 04:42 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I just signed up! I have several ideas I've been wanting to draft so this will be a nice push.  Drafting one PB a month doesn't seem TOO daunting (she says at the very beginning of a year that is already looking quite busy . . . eek!) But you never know how it will go until you try, right? Looking forward to checking in with you all on your progress throughout the year.
#8 - January 01, 2012, 10:36 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
I'm definitely in!  :pickle

writerdebm, you should definitely dive in too. :) Even if you don't end up with all 12 drafts, I'm sure you will still get a few out of the challenge. That's the way I think about it.

Good luck everyone!
#9 - January 01, 2012, 11:53 AM

It's going to be fun! Whatever comes out of it can only make us better writers, right?

Good luck, everyone!
#10 - January 01, 2012, 12:14 PM

Poster Plus
I'm going to sign up! I am a little hesitant because I didn't complete PiBoIdMo this year. But I was somehow able to complete the picture book marathon in February of last year and that was 26 pb manuscripts in one month, so....I am thinking the 12x12 seems a bit more manageable!

Good luck and happy writing to everyone jumping in!
#11 - January 02, 2012, 06:51 PM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I signed up as well. I need the deadline crunch to help me, and I love all the encouragement of other fellow writers. I enjoyed that atmosphere at  PiBoIdMo!
#12 - January 03, 2012, 05:59 AM
Seasons of the Asian Pear Tree, Schoolwide Fall 2015
Girls Guide to Manners, Legacy Press Kids 2014
God Is So Good coloring book, Warner Press 2013

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm in, too. I'm excited about it -- something to do with my fresh list of PiBoIdMo ideas!

My son (age 6) had his own story contest for our family this Christmas. He announced it on Thanksgiving and the stories were due at Christmas. It was so much fun and I surprised myself by coming up with a fairly good story, considering I spent a very limited amount of time on it. But it was a great reminder that it doesn't really have to take THAT long to write a decent rough draft. Coming up with a decent final draft on the other hand...

Carrie
#13 - January 03, 2012, 06:41 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I signed up too!  Although as with others, I am not sure how I am going to get it all done.  I'm just going to take it one month at a time.  :-) 

I also love how active the community is on FB -- someone posts something new at least every other hour -- I'm starting to feel really tied into the community.  And, they've started a number of online critique groups, which is great.
#14 - February 04, 2012, 05:12 PM
www.margaretgreanias.com
Twitter: @margaretgreania
www.facebook.com/MargaretGreaniasAuthor/
MAXIMILLIAN VILLAINOUS (Running Press Kids) 8/28/18

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
It's great participating in this challenge with all of you!  And yes, I love the Facebook group, too.  How many of you have written your February manuscript already?  I usually push myself to complete challenges early, but I'm working really hard on some PB and MG revisions and think my new manuscript will have to wait at least a week or two.  But because of this challenge, I'll definitely get one new draft written this month! 
#15 - February 04, 2012, 07:17 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I have a rough first draft for my Feb ms but I want to spend some more time shaping it up this month.  I've written out two possible endings and still have to decide which one to go with. 
#16 - February 07, 2012, 12:16 PM

I haven't started on my February ms yet--but it's still early!

#17 - February 07, 2012, 01:45 PM

Monica

Hi,  Just missed the deadline but this is a great idea!  Next year I'm in it!   I will try to follow along and good luck to all.     Monica (newbie) :chocolate:
#18 - February 10, 2012, 05:20 AM

Ugh, I know what you mean, Mindy. I've been working really hard on my picture book manuscripts and my MG WIP. In January I managed to actually finish 3 picture book stories and develop the main story line for my MG, but this month, it just seems as if i need all my creative energy for revising my pb manuscripts and writing out my MG. But simply because I already commited to the 12x12, i KNOW i will somehow manage to come up with a new pb story.....

It's great that to have these deadlines as they tend to sort of discipline you and push you further than you thought you could. And of course, the FB group is great :-)
#19 - February 11, 2012, 09:08 AM

I'm there too! :0)
I got January draft done, but am scratching my head for February.......
I know it will come though.
Ready to get some things punched out this year.
Working on a major rewrite for a pb for an editor too. *squee*
Good luck everyone!!!
#20 - February 12, 2012, 08:30 PM

I'm in, too.  Agreed, Tina, the deadlines are good motivators.  I also got a lot out of PiBoWriWe last year.  Talk about deadlines!  By the end of the week, I was on a PB bender.  (A good kind.  :martini  Hic!)
#21 - February 12, 2012, 09:24 PM

RDR

It's nice to have that extra motivation to get things rolling. I have a feeling there will be quite a few 12 x 12 success stories coming our way.
#22 - February 13, 2012, 09:13 AM

Darn! I wished I had seen this earlier - been looking in the wrong areas. The challenge is closed and she won't add latecomers. But I guess I can still work on it on my own - on the sidelines.
#23 - March 01, 2012, 05:55 AM
If you would like to read interviews by current published children's authors on their writing experience, you can see a new one each week on my blog

Member.
Poster Plus
Well I've got my characters and basc plot worked out and am about 2/3rds of the way through putting it all together into a coherent whole.  How's everyone else doing on their March ms?
#24 - March 20, 2012, 10:28 PM

Ravyn2002

Majanecka - Sounds like your March MS is coming along nicely.  I'm sure with a bit more percolating you'll finish it with plenty of time to spare!   :)

As for my March MS.  I'm happy to say it is completed! The theme/idea is one that's been on my list for over a year now.  One that really means a lot to me, but I was finding hard to pull together into a coherent story.  Having the extra motivation and support from the 12x12 challenge helped me to sit down and write it!  I finally have a first draft! Yay!
#25 - March 21, 2012, 08:17 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
That's wonderful SunflowerScribe.  Some stories do tend to take awhile to get from initial idea down to a first draft.  Great that the challenge was able to help you move in that direction.  I always feel a huge weight off my shoulders when I finally pull together a story that's been hanging out with me for awhile.
#26 - March 21, 2012, 10:47 PM

I am right there with both of you.
My January ms was one that was with me for over a year. YIKES! But it finally came out.  :hurrah
I have already finished my March draft and am working on April which is turning into two separate mss and I have an idea with a third ms that woud tie into those two. Spring is in the air and the ideas are blossoming! :flower
Hope you are having a great writing time friends! :drinktoast:    :typing    :clap:
#27 - March 24, 2012, 05:48 AM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
I didn't make the sign in date but I'm racing with everyone to complete my twelve picture books. This is a great way to finally get the little critters out of my hair and on paper :cheerleader I finished January, February, and March nearly complete:) :waiting
#28 - March 24, 2012, 07:39 AM

I've become completely derailed in March--and April doesn't look any better.  :cry2

But I still plan on completing the challenge. I'll just have to play catch-up!

Good luck to everyone!
#29 - March 24, 2012, 07:55 AM

I have an interview up with Julie Hedlund, our fearless 12x12 leader, today on my blog. I asked her about her writing and how she came up with the challenge. It was fun to get to learn more about Julie and her writing!
http://frolickingthroughcyberspace.blogspot.com/2012/03/unread-interview-with-julie-hedlund.html
#30 - March 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
UNICORN AND YETI: SPARKLY NEW FRIENDS, A GOOD TEAM, & FRIENDS ROCK! Coming 2019 from Scholastic Acorn

Members: