SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

12 X 12 in 2012 Picture Book Challenge

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Love seeing all these comments, even if they are ex post facto. :-) If anyone is interested in getting information when 12 x 12 registration opens for 2013, the instructions are on this page. Hope to see you all!

http://www.juliehedlund.com/12-x-12/
#31 - November 14, 2012, 11:51 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Aaaand, registration is now open for anyone interested in signing up for 2013. There are now three different levels and a brand new Membership Forum. All the details are here: http://www.juliehedlund.com/registration-for-2013/

Hope to see lots of you there!  :partytime
#32 - January 06, 2013, 06:08 PM

LDeg

I did 12x12 last year and have signed up again this year!  The 12x12 community is amazing and the support, encouragement and advice is priceless!  Thanks so much, Julie!!
#33 - January 06, 2013, 06:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hi Julie,

I am looking forward to another great year. Only did 5 drafts year but learned a ton. Hoping to complete more PB drafts this year. Thanks for running the challenge again this year.

Thanks,
Darshana
#34 - January 06, 2013, 08:43 PM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

I'm also joining again this year. It's a fun group and the extra motivation really helps.
#35 - January 06, 2013, 10:11 PM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
Hi Julie, I just signed up, and I can't wait to get started! The 12x12 challenge is just what I need to make my PiBo ideas come true:goldstar

Cali
#36 - January 06, 2013, 10:20 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I am signed up and have enjoyed browsing the member forum. But, and I feel sort of silly asking, what exactly do we do? Is there a page with daily posts about the challenge, like for PiBoIdMo? I signed up for the gold level and want to make sure I take advantage of all the features. Do I just write a PB draft each month and then use the member forum to request critiques, help with queries, etc?
#37 - January 06, 2013, 10:28 PM
MIND YOUR MONSTERS (Sterling, 2015)
HYPNOSIS HARRY (Sky Pony, 2016)
LUCY LOVES SHERMAN (Sky Pony, 2017)

Joanna Marple

Crookedbook, these questions are all valid and please don't hesitate to ask. One key thing is to sign up as well on the FB page as we often get into useful discussions there. Julie's blog will also contain guest posts from author's at the beginning of the month, where we can win critiques etc, and I think she will be doing weekly guest posts from unpublished 12x12ers... otherwise yes, you write your MS each month and make sure you benefit from all the Gold level crit/query help and submissions opportunities etc.
#38 - January 07, 2013, 11:12 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Crookedbook, as Joanna said, the best way to keep up with the challenge and get the most out of it is to engage with the community through the membership forum and the Facebook Page. The Forum is where you can submit portions of your PBs, queries, pitches, etc. for feedback, but also keep up on other resources being shared. The Facebook Group is also great. 99% of the time I ask a question or request assistance there, I get a response within one minute.

But do let me or any of the other moderators (such as Joanna) if you have any other questions. Many people are new this year, and the Forum is new for all of us, so now's a great time to let us know if you need help.

P.S. We're up to 200 members and it hasn't even been a week since registration opened!   :goldstar
#39 - January 08, 2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks for all the details on how to get the most out of the challenge. 200 members? That's wonderful! We're going to have a lot of choices for children in the future!
#40 - January 09, 2013, 06:43 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
I signed up for another year of 12 x 12. Though I didn't complete all 12 drafts in 2012, the experience took me from "writer wannabe" to writer. I got a freelance gig, attended my first SCBWI conference, and have submitted 4+ book manuscripts. Love 12 x 12 (and Julie)!

Kirsten W. Larson
#41 - January 09, 2013, 02:03 PM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS, illus. Tracy Subisak (Calkins Creek, 2020)
THE FIRE OF STARS, illus. Katherine Roy (Chronicle, 2021)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
This does sound appealing. I'm wondering - did anyone in the Gold group who submitted, get something accepted?

Thanks,
Paula
#42 - January 13, 2013, 12:28 PM

Oh, I LOVE this! I have to do it!
#43 - January 22, 2013, 01:18 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Well folks, we're up to 400 members in 12 x 12 so far,  :wow and Stephen Fraser is the February agent (accepting submissions from 12 x 12 GOLD members outside the slush pile).  :yay The community is thriving beyond all of my expectations! I would encourage you to take a look because registration is only open through February. After that, you'll have to wait until next year if you want to join. Here's the link just in case.

http://www.juliehedlund.com/registration-for-2013

And even if you don't plan to join, if you write picture books PLEASE take a look at this OUTSTANDING post and video lesson on how to write a great read aloud from our February featured author Kathleen Pelley. It's a treasure, as is she.  :love5:

http://www.juliehedlund.com/kathleen-pelley-february-12-x-12-featured-author/
#44 - February 02, 2013, 06:14 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Oh, and Paula - submissions just began yesterday (Feb. 1) so I think it will take some time before we start seeing acceptances. But I know they are going to come! I've seen the talent in the group from what folks have been posting in the Forum so far!  :goldstar
#45 - February 02, 2013, 06:16 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Thanks Julie. I was wondering more about last year. ? Its OK - curious minds, is all. I hope everyone signed up for this go-round has success!!

Paula
#46 - February 03, 2013, 11:59 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Well, it's now 2014 and 12 x 12 is going into its third year. Registration is now OPEN and will be until the end of Feb. Hope to see you there!

http://www.juliehedlund.com/registration-for-2014/

All best,

Julie  ;D
#47 - January 08, 2014, 01:56 PM

I signed up for 2014!  I'm ready to get more productive and get some of these ideas 'papered' out.  I signed up for the GOLD. 
#48 - January 27, 2014, 10:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I'm in too.  I always work better when I feel accountable to someone. I've jumped right into the deep end and have 3 solid drafts, one is already looking pretty shiny.
#49 - February 14, 2014, 11:52 AM
Odd Animal ABC's (Blue Manatee, 4-2-19)
She Leads: The Elephant Matriarch (Familius, Spring 2020)

Members: