SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

junior highs

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Are there any school districts that still use the junior high setup (grades 7-9) or do most places have middle schools (grades 6-8) now?

Thanks!
#1 - January 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Most places I've lived have both, including where I currently am.

I think it just depends on the available buildings/classroom space the district has as to how they allocate their grade placement.
#2 - January 16, 2012, 08:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I think the 7-9 concept is pretty much gone .... most of the remaining junior highs I know of have moved the 9th grade into high school. However there are still junior highs that are 7-8, that's how it was where I lived in Oklahoma. They called them junior high and not middle school However, other nearby districts were middle school 6-8.

#3 - January 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
Are there any school districts that still use the junior high setup (grades 7-9) or do most places have middle schools (grades 6-8) now?

Thanks!

Aren't those names interchangable? Where I went to school it was 6-8 but it was called the junior high school.

The same district now has K-4 as the elementary school, and 5-8 in what is now called the middle school.
#4 - January 16, 2012, 09:18 PM

The school I graduated from had Jr. High as 7-8 and still does. My kid's school is the same way. High school is 9-12.
#5 - January 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
When I was growing up, junior high was grades 7-9 and high school was 10-12.  Now, all of the school districts around me have middle schools for grades 6-8 and high schools for 9-12.  I don't know of any place around here (eastern Los Angeles County) that uses the traditional junior high setup.
#6 - January 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I think the names are interchangable (junior high and middle school).  There's also intermediate, which my town has adopted (it was plain old junior high in my day).    :old 
#7 - January 16, 2012, 10:02 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
The school I graduated from had Jr. High as 7-8 and still does. High school is 9-12.

This is true for me too. (This was in northern California, if that matters.)
#8 - January 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

In AZ the standard seems to be 7/8 for Jr. High, and 9-12 for High School.... but I went to a charter school (for music) that was 6-12....

and

In Japan, its 1-6 elem, 7-9 jr, 10-12 high pretty universally
#9 - January 17, 2012, 03:35 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Stilll going strong.  We have middle schools (6-7) and junior highs (8-9).  Missouri.
#10 - January 17, 2012, 05:27 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
So in other words, I can do what I want to fit the story.  :typing

Thanks so much, everyone!

#11 - January 17, 2012, 06:10 AM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Yep. And I don't think the names are interchangeable. At least that's my perspective from taking education courses in the mid 80's when middle schools became popular. Junior highs work pretty much like high school with a changing of classes all over the building. In middle school there are pods or teams of teachers which teach the academic subjects .. and they are usually located all together. The kids circulate between those rooms and then for electives they go to band, art, where-ever. That's the way it worked when I taught. So the concept and set-up is a bit different .. but things may have changed over the years.
#12 - January 17, 2012, 06:31 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
They call them middle schools here, but it's 7-8 grades.  However, from what I've heard, the 'pod' set-up is what makes them different from the type of school I attended as a kid (ie, the 7th grade teachers teach only 7th graders -- though students who need accelerated math will go to the other part of the school).
#13 - January 17, 2012, 07:02 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Member.
Poster Plus
In my area it's 7-8, referred to as middle school, and the class schedule setup is like in high school.
#14 - January 17, 2012, 07:07 AM

I went to a 7th ONLY middle school (6th was elementary), 8-9 Junior High, and 10-12 H.S.  Now I check my old hometown's school website and find they've changed my old junior high to be 6-8 and put 9th in the high school.  Middle school seems to be gone completely (maybe if we don't mention it, we can pretend it didn't happen?). 

Somehow the idea of 6th graders going to school with 8th graders really depresses me.
#15 - January 17, 2012, 08:49 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
In Northern Wisconsin, where I grew up, our Jr. High was 7-8 and still is.
In Southern Maine, where I live now, it seems to be mainly Middle School, 6-8.
#16 - January 17, 2012, 01:59 PM

notthatheroine

My junior high in north Alabama was set up that way. Sixth grade was in elementary, and 7-9th were in a separate school. I think it depends on the school system, the number of schools available for use, and the student population.
#17 - January 17, 2012, 03:36 PM

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
To further the thought that you can do whatever you want  :grin2: , in my Northern Ca town, we have elementary from K-5, Middle School from 6-8, an "Academy" that's only 9th grade (in a separate location, but still considered high school) and the main hs campus is 10-12. They did this mostly for logistics - the high school was overcrowded and we didn't have room for another full high school anywhere in town, but it seems to be working well.
#18 - January 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
Transcendence (Walker) - June 2012
Sequel (Walker) - June 2013
Dirty Little Secrets (Walker) - Feb 2010
6:00 in SF - 2009
www.cjomololu.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
The county I live in, only my town has a middle school, the two "rural" schools that serve the rest of the county North and South have Jr and Sr High. In town the Middle School is next door to the high school and serves grades 6-8.  In the county schools the Jr. High is also on the same property as the high school and serves grades 7-8. 

I think you can go any way you want with your story because I have looked up several counties in my state and have found that there are no standard names or grades for those in grades 7 and 8.  Sixth grade can be in elementary school or Middle School.  But grades 7 and 8 are either in Middle School or Junior high. 

Obviously I have a couple of characters in 7th grade and wanted to see how many districts did this to see how to write my story to be true to the state I live in and discovered I could do any thing I wanted. bwahaahaa
#19 - January 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
I really don't think it matters at all how you present this in a story. The terms "middle school" and "junior high" are interchangable and no reader is going to flip out if the grade set up isn't exactly like thiers.
#20 - January 17, 2012, 06:13 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Aren't those names interchangable? Where I went to school it was 6-8 but it was called the junior high school.

The same district now has K-4 as the elementary school, and 5-8 in what is now called the middle school.

My daughter is on 7th grade and she's on middle school but people ask her all the time 'are you in junior high?'
#21 - January 17, 2012, 06:27 PM

Poster Plus
My daughter is on 7th grade and she's on middle school but people ask her all the time 'are you in junior high?'

I'd answer "yes."
#22 - January 17, 2012, 06:43 PM

Khanada

I'm in upstate NY, and our district is like CynJay's -- two middle schools for 6-8, one high school for 9th grade, and the main high school for 10-12. Same issue here - space. We really could use another high school, but it's not like that will happen any time soon.
#23 - January 19, 2012, 06:03 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
In the Philadelphia region where I live, most public schools are K-5, 6-8, 9-12, while private schools tend to be K-8 and 9-12.

But I read recently that K-6 and 7-12 schools are the becoming popular. Pretty much any configuration you want for your story would work!
#24 - January 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com

THIS OR THAT, Tilbury House, 2021
THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
I'm in upstate NY, and our district is like CynJay's -- two middle schools for 6-8, one high school for 9th grade, and the main high school for 10-12. Same issue here - space. We really could use another high school, but it's not like that will happen any time soon.

My elementary school was K-5, but they were short on space and had a drafty trailer tacked onto the back of it. When they built the new middle school, they moved the 5th grade to the new building, making it 5-8.
#25 - January 19, 2012, 10:56 PM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
In California we have middle school (7-8) high school (9-12).
#26 - March 08, 2012, 01:05 PM

Around Memphis, the public schools have middle school (7-8) and high school (9-12), but a lot of the private schools have Jr. High (7-9) and Sr. High (10-12).
#27 - March 08, 2012, 02:15 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Members: