SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Kindergarten classrooms

Discussion started on

In most kg classrooms, do students "share" a table with 4-6 other students--or do they have individual desks as they do in upper grades?
#1 - January 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
In Australia, in my experience they share tables.
#2 - January 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
Hi Katy!
Just got back from my daughter's Kindergarten class! They have "home tables" where they gather with the same 5-6 students every morning. Then they are re-shuffled into "color groups" where they move from table to table during station time. The color groups are arranged according to reading ability.
#3 - January 19, 2012, 02:27 PM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
We have tables too -- kids are grouped for literacy, math and motor centers. When they are not doing those activities, they are in rows on a rug in front of a Smart Board for other lessons. The only individual chairs in the classroom are the ones by the computers. (The listening center is a shared table as well).
#4 - January 19, 2012, 02:33 PM

Thank you, thank you! This is what I thought and this is what I've noted in my general area, but I wasn't sure if it was the norm in most places.
#5 - January 19, 2012, 02:45 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
In most kindergarten classrooms, even if they have individual desks, they will be configured into "tables."

ETA--My daughter just told me that she was told if she can't stop talking out of turn, she'll have to sit at an "island"--a desk separated from the rest. lol
#6 - January 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:57 PM by Larissa »
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
When my son was in kindergarten, the kids spent a lot of time sitting on their colored squares on the rug in front of the Smart Board.  They'd go to tables for "center time" in groups of 4 or 5.  I don't remember seeing an individual desk anywhere in the classroom.
#7 - January 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
Definitely tables here too.

In most kindergarten classrooms, even if they have individual desks, they will be configured into "tables."

ETA--My daughter just told me that she was told if she can't stop talking out of turn, she'll have to sit at an "island"--a desk separated from the rest. lol

That's so different. I've never heard of an "island" desk. In my experience, it's always been, "Go sit in the chair in the corner."
#8 - January 19, 2012, 03:12 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Definitely tables here too.

That's so different. I've never heard of an "island" desk. In my experience, it's always been, "Go sit in the chair in the corner."

LOL! In our K rooms, that's called "the thinking chair."
#9 - January 19, 2012, 04:12 PM

LOL, Larissa!

Jenna--"thinking chair." Hmmm...I'm thinking I need one of those myself.  :dr
#10 - January 19, 2012, 04:37 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
Hmmm, "The Thinking Chair". I like that they gave a name to it.  :alce:
#11 - January 19, 2012, 04:56 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
LOL--Yeah, they have The Thinking Chair, too.  I think the "island" seat is a consequence for chronic talking. *sigh* I did name her Gabi. Oy.
#12 - January 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Sometimes at home, when things are chaotic, I send myself to my Thinking Chair. It's in my office. Usually I bring along a glass of wine.

But since Glass of Wine Chair is not something I want my kids repeating, we stick with the k-approved title!

#13 - January 19, 2012, 05:36 PM

Khanada

We have tables of 4 at our school, too. The kids are assigned to that seat for a month, and then the teacher switches things up for the next month.

I could've used a Glass of Wine Chair today. I kept my youngest home sick from school today, but it turned out she was only really sick for the first couple of hours. It was a really long day after that!
#14 - January 19, 2012, 05:52 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
Sometimes at home, when things are chaotic, I send myself to my Thinking Chair. It's in my office. Usually I bring along a glass of wine.

But since Glass of Wine Chair is not something I want my kids repeating, we stick with the k-approved title!

LOL Jenna, that's too funny. If we're putting the chair in that context, then I defintely think we should all have of those!
#15 - January 19, 2012, 07:24 PM

In my daughter's school, kids are 4 to a table (actually, four desks shoved together). Each table has a name. This year, they're named after the different boroughs in the city, for example.

I think it's sort of weird though that my daughter always has her back to the front of the class. I guess the teacher must move around a lot.

She's in first grade now but it was the same in K.

JennaWren -- sounds like a good chair. :)
#16 - January 19, 2012, 07:32 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

And just for a little variety, my kids' K classes have individual desks, just like the older grades, and they do not put them into groups of desks.  But ours is a small charter school, and my daughters K class last year only had 17 students.  They do things differently than the traditional public schools around here, I've noticed.
#17 - January 20, 2012, 07:34 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Even older students at my kiddos' school have desks in various arrangements. I don't think any classes use them individually -- so different from the dark ages, when I was in school (and they were individual even in primary grades).
#18 - January 20, 2012, 07:52 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I teach kindergarten. The children sit 4-6 at a table. They pretty much choose where they get to sit, unless I need to choose. I rarely use a thinking/time out chair. They are assigned spots during reading groups. We have a lot of fun… :hairdude
#19 - January 20, 2012, 09:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yep, tables of 4 or 5. I don't think the kids had any particular spot that was "theirs" though. They'd rotate around with the same group to different tables/centers in the morning. Then in the afternoon, they were in slightly different groups for other activities. But most academic work took place in the morning.

This year in first grade, my son has a desk that is his and he keeps his pencils and other supplies in there. The desks are pushed together into tables of 4 or 5.

JennaWren, I'm going to institute a Thinking Chair around here!!
#20 - January 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

CaroleB

Indianapolis Public Schools = small group tables
#21 - January 20, 2012, 10:54 AM

Members: