SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Plug your favorite early reader/chapter book in a magazine article!

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'm looking for early readers or chapter books to put in an article for a parenting magazine but it must contain a life lesson that adults can apply to their family lives. So I need is a book suitable for young children (not picture books, though) that provides the parents with a life lesson. For example, in the middle grade category, I've got Harry Potter because he knows when to let others be heroes too. He doesn't try to do it all on his own, but knows when to rely on friends/others to get stuff done. So the life lesson for parents here, is not to try and shoulder all the responsibility for something but to share/ask for help when it's needed.

If there's a book you'd love to see plugged and it fits this description, post here! Thanks!
#1 - February 03, 2012, 03:48 PM

Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. Lesson: It's ok to make mistakes. Sometimes they even turn out good.
Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park. Lesson: Stand up for yourself.
Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne. Lesson: Learning new things can be fun.
#2 - February 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I lurve the Amanda and Oliver Pig books by Jean van Leeuven (sp?). The most important thing I learned was how to be a patient mom. I still fail on a regular basis, unfortunately.
It also affirmed our lifestyle -- simple pleasures, being nice, sharing, caring, and acknowledging that our kids have fears that are silly to adults, but very real for the kids. Read them all ...
Vijaya
#3 - February 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Moxy Maxwell series (...Does Not Love Stuart Little, ...Does Not Love Writing Thank You Notes, ...Does Not Love Practicing the Piano But She Does Love Being in Recitals by Peggy Gifford: Procrastination isn't a good idea.  (Hysterical, very true to life series, and with a slightly older MC... perfect for older elementary reluctant readers).
#4 - February 03, 2012, 04:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Well, my MARTY MCGUIRE teaches everyone the value of improvisation when things don't go as planned. (Also that kissing frogs isn't as slimy as it sounds...but I suspect that's not the kind of thing you're looking for.) 
#5 - February 03, 2012, 07:21 PM
www.katemessner.com

OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW, Chronicle
MARTY MCGUIRE
CAPTURE THE FLAG
HIDE AND SEEK -Scholastic '13
WAKE UP MISSING- Walker, Fall '13

Members: