SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Where to find the editor of a book

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm trying to find out who edited a picture book I just read. I've tried Amazon and the publisher's website. I'm not sure where to look next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
#1 - January 31, 2012, 04:11 PM

jeffman

Call the marketing department at the publisher and just ask. It used to work, anyway.
#2 - January 31, 2012, 04:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Also try finding the author's website or blog. They sometimes talk about their editors. I often find that the editor is thanked in the dedication of the book, as well. The other thing you can do, if you subscribe to Publisher's Marketplace, is search their database and see if you can find the listing of the original sale of the book. It lists the editor that was in charge of buying it. Hope that helps! :goodluck
#3 - January 31, 2012, 04:42 PM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

You might also Google the author's name and the phrase "my editor" (put that in quotes).  This might bring up an interview in which they name the person.

Also try the Googling the title of the book with the words "edited by" (again, in quotes).
#4 - January 31, 2012, 07:04 PM

Scbwi has a Who Edited What page on their site...
Not sure if it's been updated.
#5 - February 01, 2012, 09:59 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you so much!

:thankyou2:
#6 - February 01, 2012, 11:48 AM

carlynnw

Hi. I, too, am trying to track down editors of particular picture books, and I searched for SCBWI's page to no avail. (I also emailed them to ask about it, but so far have received no response.) Does anyone have a link to it, or can you describe where it is located on their site? Thanks!!
#7 - April 15, 2012, 03:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
You could also ask US - we might know.  :)
#8 - April 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

I second Literaticat! And even if we don't know offhand if anyone is at that house they can find out quickly.
#9 - April 15, 2012, 04:33 PM

ecb

What a great idea! I wonder if we could start a sticky thread for this--maybe it would be a good fit for the Response Times board or in Market/Agent News?
#10 - April 15, 2012, 04:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Try checking the acknowledgements, too.
#11 - April 15, 2012, 05:02 PM

In recent years, Marshall Cavendish has started naming the editor on the copyright page. I was delighted when I first noticed; among other things, it's a great way to honor the editor right along with the author, illustrator, and book designer. I wish other houses would follow suit!
#12 - April 18, 2012, 05:00 PM

ecb

Leslie, that's really wonderful!

At Arthur A Levine/Scholastic, all the books have a colophon, or a page near the back cover giving the details of the book's physical construction (typeface, printing, etc)--and the editor is named there, as well. (I'd forgotten about that until your post--silly me!)
#13 - April 18, 2012, 05:45 PM

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Of course, even if you learn the editor, you might find out that they have since moved to another house, and are no longer acquiring picture books, or it might be the case that they worked on that book because it was assigned to them when the acquiring editor left, and it's not to their taste, or....

Just saying that having that information doesn't always help.
#14 - April 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, Leslie and Elizabeth!

And, Harold, good point. I'll keep that in mind as I continue my search.
#15 - April 19, 2012, 12:22 PM

Members: