SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

picture book tone

Discussion started on

CaroleB

Question #1
       Can anyone think of a really funny picture book that is also sweet or maybe one that is mostly funny but has a sweet ending?

Question #2
       If you answered #1 with a yes--how does that affect the tone of the book? Does switching tone ever work?

Just wondering.

Carole
#1 - February 16, 2012, 12:41 PM

The first one that comes to mind is Cowboy and Octopus. It's very funny (in a dry kind of way) and ends on an up note about the friendship, I believe.
#2 - February 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Robin

I'd say Mostly Monsterly fills the bill for mostly funny with a sweet ending.  A far as switching tones, I'd say it has to be a pretty seamless switch, or where the tones are so interrelated that you don't notice any real separateness--like in Mostly Monsterly, where you have a sweet character in a funny situation.
#3 - February 16, 2012, 01:40 PM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Thanks for mentioning Mostly Monsterly, Leslie!  :f_cupcake:

#4 - February 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

My pleasure, Tammi.  And thanks for the cupcake!  :chickendance  (<- official Tammi Sauer Chicken Dance emoticon  :yup)
#5 - February 18, 2012, 07:40 PM

CaroleB

Thanks all for answering. I'll look into it some more.

Tammi, your book looks adorable!
#6 - February 20, 2012, 01:14 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I was just going to say MOSTLY MONSTERLY but Leslie beat me to it.
#7 - February 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

LEONARDO THE TERRIBLE MONSTER comes to mind.

I think a book switching tones is welcome...especially if a character was acting badly throughout the book.
#8 - February 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

My favorites are the Amber Brown picture books - always funny with a touch of sweetness in a tomboy way thrown in.
#9 - March 01, 2012, 06:11 AM
If you would like to read interviews by current published children's authors on their writing experience, you can see a new one each week on my blog

Jodell Sadler

Prudence Wants a Pet by Kathleen Daly is simply a stitch of a read. Prudence asks for a pet. Mom and Dad say no, so she makes Branch a pet. Branch gets broken to bits and so Prudence makes Twig her pet. Then Famous Footwear takes over and is walked around the block on a leash. Soon Prudence thinks even little brothers could make a good pet. Mom and Dad instantly think a pet would be nice. Here the concept is funny, the illustrations are a hoot, and the end is sweet, as she names her kitten Branch. This book just make me LOL.
#10 - April 19, 2012, 04:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Prudence Wants a Pet by Kathleen Daly is simply a stitch of a read. Prudence asks for a pet. Mom and Dad say no, so she makes Branch a pet. Branch gets broken to bits and so Prudence makes Twig her pet. Then Famous Footwear takes over and is walked around the block on a leash. Soon Prudence thinks even little brothers could make a good pet. Mom and Dad instantly think a pet would be nice. Here the concept is funny, the illustrations are a hoot, and the end is sweet, as she names her kitten Branch. This book just make me LOL.

This sounds hilarious! I'm going to get it just for the Branch bit. My daughter recently stuck googley eyes on a branch and took it out for a walk. I'm betting she'll really identify with Prudence. Thanks!
#11 - April 19, 2012, 05:18 PM

Jodell Sadler

I bet your daughter will love it! You must let me know. Too funny.
#12 - April 21, 2012, 06:27 PM

Members: