SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Paying Magazine Markets?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I just spent an hour trying to find a suitable paying market for a kids' story of about 700 words. I found these American sources:
* Carus Publishing (Spider, Cricket)
* Fun for Kidz (Boys Quest, HopScotch)
* Highlights
* US Kids (Humpty Dumpty, Jack and Jill)
I know there is also Pockets and theme-based publications.

Are there others which accept general unsolicited submissions for kids ages 8-12? Is the paying market really this small?
#1 - February 21, 2012, 01:56 PM

The best resource I've found for magazine research is Writer's Institute Publications' annual "Magazine Markets for Children." CWIM also has a good section.  The religious market would open up possibilities.  But yes, the paying magazine market seems to have gotten slimmer and slimmer, with a lot of publications having gone under, or become non-paying markets, since the recession.
#2 - February 21, 2012, 02:21 PM

Whoops, sorry--that should read "Magazine Markets for Children's Writers 2012." Fwiw, last year's edition claimed to have "675 updated and verified markets and resources, 79 completely new."
#4 - February 21, 2012, 02:38 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Stories For Children Magazine also pays a small stipend.
#5 - February 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
BACKHOE JOE, HarperCollins, 2014
FAMOUSLY PHOEBE, Sterling, 2017
ALL IN A DROP, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019

http://www.lorialexanderbooks.com/

It may be worth noting that Stories for Children offers an extremely small stipend, for which you have to sign away all rights to the piece in perpetuity.
#6 - February 22, 2012, 11:06 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
There used to be a wonderful resource, http://www.kidmagwriters.com/, but they have a banner up now that they're closing down. Very sad. Laurie
#7 - February 22, 2012, 01:03 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

It may be worth noting that Stories for Children offers an extremely small stipend, for which you have to sign away all rights to the piece in perpetuity.

I should have added that you can waive the contract and payment with Stories for Children, and they'll still publish your work.  Didn't mean to mislead anyone into thinking you had to accept their contract before they would publish you.
#8 - February 22, 2012, 01:08 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
There's Clubhouse and The Ark.

Did you check the online magazine thread?  Although it's not totally up-to-date, there are several paying markets listed there.  Granted, most of those paying ones don't pay much.

Guardian Angel Kids is another in the small paying group.
#9 - February 22, 2012, 06:48 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
LeslieG (and others), regarding Stories for Children, you don't sign away all rights for the small payment. The contracts I have received state "All rights revert to the Contributor after three (3) years from the date of first publication by SFCM". In other words, after 3 years you can resell the work as a reprint. Just thought I should clarify.

Guy

#10 - February 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:43 AM by AzGuy »
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

LeslieG (and others), regarding Stories for Children, you don't sign away all rights for the small payment. The contracts I have received state "All rights revert to the Contributor after three (3) years from the date of first publication by SFCM". In other words, after 3 years you can resell the work as a reprint. Just thought I should clarify.

Guy

Thanks for the clarification, Guy.  I guess when I read about the assignment of perpetual rights in a couple of spots, including electronic and digitized, I decided it wasn't worth the small fee to sign those away.  I'm still not sure how a right or license can be perpetual and at the same time be exclusive for only three years; anybody who knows about such things, I'd love to understand! That said, Stories for Children is still a terrific magazine market.
#11 - February 24, 2012, 10:03 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
The best resource I've found for magazine research is Writer's Institute Publications' annual "Magazine Markets for Children." CWIM also has a good section.  The religious market would open up possibilities.  But yes, the paying magazine market seems to have gotten slimmer and slimmer, with a lot of publications having gone under, or become non-paying markets, since the recession.

Yes, I frequently refer to the Magazine Markets for Children. Yet there are times I still can't find a market for my story.  :gaah
#12 - March 03, 2012, 02:36 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
There used to be a wonderful resource, http://www.kidmagwriters.com/, but they have a banner up now that they're closing down. Very sad. Laurie

When I first started submitting a couple years ago, I found several of my listings from Kidmagwriters. Sorry to hear they're closed. :groan
#13 - March 03, 2012, 02:40 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
There's Clubhouse and The Ark.

Did you check the online magazine thread?  Although it's not totally up-to-date, there are several paying markets listed there.  Granted, most of those paying ones don't pay much.

Guardian Angel Kids is another in the small paying group.

Do you mean Clubhouse that is published by Focus on the Family? The guidelines I received from them said they rarely accept unsolicited magazines.

I wasn't aware of The Ark. My current stories aren't suitable because they require explicitly Christian content, but I'll keep them in mind for future stories. I also wasn't aware of Guardian Angel Kids, but now am planning a story for one of their themes.

Sigh, I was hoping to find print magazines. Guess online is the way of the future.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  :thankyou
#14 - March 03, 2012, 02:50 PM

Allison, did you see the update about Knowonder?  They're upped their pay for stories, among other things. There's a new-ish thread about it on the Blueboards, or you can check at www.knowonder.com.

Best of luck!
#15 - March 03, 2012, 02:57 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Allison, yes, I was talking about the Focus on Family publication. I don't know specifically about Clubhouse. I suggested that one because you said you were interested in ages 8-12.  I've had three stories accepted for their younger publication, Clubhouse Jr., so I assumed the older one was equally open.
#16 - March 04, 2012, 12:22 PM

For you sf/f writers:

Print mag, Beyond Centauri, offers a small payment and contributor copies. Nice to work with. http://www.samsdotpublishing.com/beyondguide.htm

Online mag, Spaceports & Spidersilk, also offers small payment. http://samsdotpublishing.com/SpacespidersGL.htm
#17 - March 11, 2012, 12:47 AM
Coming: Worth the Effort: Ayden's Story & The Lumpy Duckling

Award winning author. Fiction for kids & Teens

Members: