SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do teen girls ever wear rollers in their hair anymore?

Discussion started on

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Straighteners are something you plug in, similar to a curling iron, but instead of curl you get super straight. They get really hot, but at least they smell better than a perm!

Ah, thank you. I'm not up on much except the plain old curling iron.  :biggrin:

I want to jump in here and say that, in this case, it really doesn't matter if most or any girls are using rollers these days. What matters is -- is your CHARACTER using them? It's really easy to get into our heads that in order for our characters to be believable, they have to be normal/ like everyone else/ not weird. But it's really a matter of selling it. I was a weird teen, and  I'm sure everyone on this board was too. Someone could post "do teen girls play the bagpipes?" and most people would laugh and say no -- but I was a competition bagpiper in my teens. Or . . "do teens take time out of their life to practice foreign languages with strangers?" The answer to that is probably no, too, but I have a friend who did this every week in her teens.

It doesn't need to be normal. Just normal for your teen. The really crucial thing is knowing how to make other characters react to her foibles.

I know what you mean. In the story, it could be made to work. The thing is whether a cover with a girl in curlers would turn off potential readers.   :ahh
#31 - March 01, 2012, 02:12 PM

Maggie, love your post. It's me put me at ease. Most of my characters arent exactly 'normal', but I they are believable.
#32 - March 02, 2012, 06:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
i was thinking about this thread again...reminded me of 5th grade picture day ...I wanted to look extra special, but my mother permed my hair...it was already curly, but she used bigger rollers to 'relax' it...yeah...right....I had this gigantic head of incredibly curly Bozo red hair....my goodness...girls this age don't want to look  different...all the other girls had straight hair....but me.....oh..sigh....moan...groan....my fifth grade picture....a sight to behold.
#33 - March 02, 2012, 06:42 AM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
i was thinking about this thread again...reminded me of 5th grade picture day ...I wanted to look extra special, but my mother permed my hair...it was already curly, but she used bigger rollers to 'relax' it...yeah...right....I had this gigantic head of incredibly curly Bozo red hair....my goodness...girls this age don't want to look  different...all the other girls had straight hair....but me.....oh..sigh....moan...groan....my fifth grade picture....a sight to behold.

Ah, yes, doing something different for your class picture...  My fresman year of HS I tried a new hairstyle, a new (orange!) lipstick, way over-tweezed my eyebrows and tried some weird smile. The picture, of course, turned out  :duh :faint :stars  Needless to say, all copies were eventually destroyed. 
#34 - March 02, 2012, 07:43 AM

You guys are making me feel so much better about my high school braided "rat tail" that hung five inches longer than the rest of my hair...I think the classy term for it back then was a "gucci."

Ugh.
#35 - March 02, 2012, 09:19 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

mswatkins

My 14 year old has flat irons, curling irons and every so often she breaks out the rollers. 
#36 - March 02, 2012, 10:46 AM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
The thing is whether a cover with a girl in curlers would turn off potential readers.   :ahh

There is a girl with her hair in rollers on the cover of Barrie Summy's I SO DON'T DO MYSTERIES: http://www.amazon.com/I-So-Dont-Do-Mysteries/dp/0385736037/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330731855&sr=8-1

Of course I can't speak to whether or not the cover has attracted or turned off readers, but this book did well enough for the publisher to continue publishing sequels. And the series continues with the cover theme of the girl's face on a colorful background, so they must feel it's working for their audience. If your book is targeting around the same age range, the image you'd like to use might work just fine. (I would classify these books as appealing to both lower YA and middle grade.)
#37 - March 02, 2012, 03:57 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Nice find, J-Bert!
#38 - March 02, 2012, 05:09 PM
Robin

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Okay, totally OT,  :hijacked but, WHEN did your daughters start to want to use this stuff? My oldest is 10, and recently, for the first time in about 2 years, asked me to blow dry her hair straight. Now, I have super curly hair that only my hair stylist can straighten, so I have no idea what I'm doing. But lately I've been wondering when this preteen of mine will start to want equipment to do her hair! (Of course, it's entirely possible that she may not ever want to...but I was just curious!)

Sorry to hijack! Back to big rollers!
#39 - March 02, 2012, 06:44 PM

m_stiefvater

Maggie, love your post. It's me put me at ease. Most of my characters arent exactly 'normal', but I they are believable.

I'm glad. :)
#40 - March 02, 2012, 07:29 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
There is a girl with her hair in rollers on the cover of Barrie Summy's I SO DON'T DO MYSTERIES: http://www.amazon.com/I-So-Dont-Do-Mysteries/dp/0385736037/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330731855&sr=8-1

Of course I can't speak to whether or not the cover has attracted or turned off readers, but this book did well enough for the publisher to continue publishing sequels. And the series continues with the cover theme of the girl's face on a colorful background, so they must feel it's working for their audience. If your book is targeting around the same age range, the image you'd like to use might work just fine. (I would classify these books as appealing to both lower YA and middle grade.)

Thanks, that is a good find. Food for thought!
#41 - March 02, 2012, 07:30 PM

Okay, totally OT,  :hijacked but, WHEN did your daughters start to want to use this stuff? My oldest is 10, and recently, for the first time in about 2 years, asked me to blow dry her hair straight. Now, I have super curly hair that only my hair stylist can straighten, so I have no idea what I'm doing. But lately I've been wondering when this preteen of mine will start to want equipment to do her hair! (Of course, it's entirely possible that she may not ever want to...but I was just curious!)

Sorry to hijack! Back to big rollers!

My 11 year old wishes I'd just put her hair in a ponytail every day and be done. (I refuse). But my 6 year old wants her hair curled, flat ironed, highlighted (Um, no), etc... and has very specific requirements about what I do to it. She also begged to get her ears pierced at 5 and my 10 year old (at the time) just tagged along and got hers done too. And she's the one that loves shopping. My older daughter considers it a gift if I just bring her home clothes and don't make her try them on. So I think it just depends on the kid. ;)
#42 - March 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
Robin

Members: