SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any MG girl survival stories out there (contemp, not fantasy)?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
If a middle-grade reader asked you for a book recommendation where girls have to use wilderness survival skills, what title would you give them? 

Thanks!!
#1 - March 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Julie of the Wolves. . .
#2 - March 02, 2012, 11:51 AM
Lisa
@elisaitw

Besides the Julie books, I'd work my way through these (some are historical, some contemporary):

A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
Sarah Bishop by Scott O’Dell    
The Island Keeper by Harry Mazer
The Talking Earth by Jean Craighead George
Climb or Die by Edward Myers
Backwater by Joan Bauer
The Winter Road by Terry Hokenson
Death Mountain by Sherry Shahan
#3 - March 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
WOW! Rachel! :applause Nice List! Thanks.
#4 - March 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Wow, thanks Rachel!

I also found two other titles...Diamond Willow by Helen Frost (novel in verse) and....and...the other title alludes me now.  But you have a lot on there I haven't come across.  Thanks!!

-Kellie
#5 - March 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

mclicious
Poster Plus
I second ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS. It's beautiful, and it's a classic. The first two Boxcar Children book are also about survival, sort of in the wilderness, but it's boys and girls, of course. Margaret Peterson Haddix's JUST ELLA has to survive for awhile, I think, but it's fantasy. If you're really looking for anything at all, I recall a BABYSITTERS CLUB (Super Special Edition, I think) about two of the babysitters taking kids on a sailing trip and getting stranded on an island for a few days. There's also THE ISLAND KEEPER by Harry Mazer and THE GOATS by Brock Cole (boy and girl; classified as YA, but by today's standards I'd say older MG or young YA).
#6 - April 21, 2012, 01:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
NIM'S ISLAND by Wendy Orr
#7 - April 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Lost at Sea by Jonathan Neale - about a girl and two brothers, one a year older and one much younger and a mentally ill mother lost at sea.  The girl and older brother have to work together to try and get the boat to land.

In the Wild by Sofia Nordin - about a girl who is teased at school for being a Girl Scout and when she and her worst tormentor, a boy are tossed overboard on a white water trip, she is the leader and helps them to survive until rescuers can find them.  Originally printed in Norway (?).
#8 - April 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ruta Sepetys' Between Shades of Gray is YA historical but suitable for a MG reader.
Vijaya
#9 - April 22, 2012, 06:09 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Grady Hendrix

This one is a bit of a stretch, but it's a classic, The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson. A plague sees all the adults on earth wiped out and the kids have to figure out how to survive on their own. Lisa is 10 and she has to learn to gather her tribe, provide them with food and water, keep them safe, and turn them from scared children into a trained army. I loved, loved, loved it as a kid and even though it's more about urban survival I thought you might be interested.

Another one that focuses on a girl learning to survive by her wits is Z for Zachariah about Ann, who has to survive after a nuclear war. No fantasy, just the hardcore everyday business of running a farm. And avoiding winds that bring fallout. And evil strangers. This one was my Cold War Panic touchstone when I was growing up.
#10 - May 05, 2012, 07:42 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I second ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS. It's beautiful, and it's a classic.

Although this thread is old I had to comment on this comment. :)

My kids and I  are in a book club and are following the NPR Backseat Bookclub list. Last week we had our meeting on HEART OF A SAMURAI and the kids were doing their round robin questions. One of the kids asked, "If you were going to be stranded on a desert island with someone, who would you want it to be?" It was a great discussion and two of the kids and one of the moms said that they'd pick Karana from ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS because of her awesome survival skills. I can't remember but I think both of the kids who picked Karana were boys, so that was pretty awesome. (I picked Ozzy from Survivor because I didn't know we were all going to be so literary with our answers!)
#11 - June 12, 2012, 11:35 PM

ICE ISLAND by Sherry Shahan, Delacorte Books for Young Readers (January 10, 2012)
#12 - June 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
www.jillcorcoran.blogspot.com & www.hermanagencyinc.com
DARE TO DREAM...CHANGE THE WORLD, Kane Miller, Fall 2012

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I know you asked about girls using wilderness skills, but I'd still strongly suggest Gary Paulson's Hatchet books.
#13 - June 14, 2012, 05:32 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I just finished Frozen Stiff by Sherry Shahan.
#14 - June 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Members: