SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Irritating behaviors of kids ages 2-5

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
You think you'll never forget those slightly annoying--or worse--behaviors your kids displayed when they were young.  But you do.  So I need your help, please.

What are some exhausting behaviors of little kids?

I'll start:

whining
not sharing
not taking naps

Thanks in advance!  Can't wait to relive those days. ;)

Jody
#1 - March 02, 2012, 04:17 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
That high pitch scream only toddlers (and opera singer who are actually singing) can hit.  :run4hills
#2 - March 02, 2012, 04:19 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Yep - but those are pretty basic. Usually the not taking naps is the cause of all the lovely stuff to come. Here's a list for you:
1) Falling down in a store and refusing to get up (going boneless)
2) Begging for stuff (I need that visor. I need that chocolate bunny. I really need those socks!)
3) Poking/licking/biting siblings
4) Singing songs over and over and over
5) Bouncing on everything
6) Climbing up your back over your shoulders and flipping in your lap
7) Chewing on your hair
8) Licking your computer
9) Eating snacks in the car/closet/your bed and leaving crumbs
10) Peeing in your uggs
11) Laying on the cat
12) Holding onto your ankle while you're trying to make dinner and letting you drag them around the kitchen floor
13) Shrieking
14) Knocking over folded laundry
15) Throwing dirty laundry over the stairs... with the basket
16) Growling
17) Losing your ipod
18) Only speaking in a British accent (badly)
19) Pouring their own milk... all over the floor
20) Eating toast with a plate, but getting crumbs and toast crust everywhere but the plate

I could go on...
#3 - March 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
Robin

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
not knowing when to quit, even after you have told them. 

(I am not a mom, I am just remembering random things from being around nieces and nephews and friends kids)
#4 - March 02, 2012, 04:28 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Arching their backs so I couldn't buckle them into their car seats was always a favorite--especially when I was running late.
#5 - March 02, 2012, 04:36 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
1. Hitting their little brothers and then not getting it that time out is the natural consequence.
2. Happily snapping all their crayons in half (make little! make little!) and then handing them to you with the command to "make big!"
3. Knock knock jokes (except they don't really get how they work)
4. Drawing murals on their bedroom walls--with Easter chocolate (it doesn't wash off, if you're wondering)
5. Taking off their seatbelts (yes, even in carseats) when you're in a busy road with no place to turn off
6. Opening the door when the doorbell rings--before you can reach it, and also before they've remembered to put their pants on (yes, in both the American and British meanings of pants)
7. Climbing into your bed in the middle of the night, kicking both parents out of bed, and then wandering out to find out why you left.
8. Having tantrums in REALLY inopportune moments--like when you're getting out of a train and you find there's riot police lining every platform, and your 4YO decides to throw a massive, glass-shattering fit, in English, and you are in another country and are having bad flashbacks to the von Trapp family trying to escape silently over the Alps before the Nazis catch them
9. Climbing on top of the fridge to raid their siblings' chocolate Advents calendars
10. Gutting all their drawers and toy boxes to find one thing that was in plain sight--and then walking off
11. Making huge piles of blankets from every bed in the house to make forts--and not wanting to clean up
12. Removing the bedding and mattress from the toddler bed and then pushing the frame all over through the already-gutted room
13. Licking each other
14. Not eating dinner because it's yucky/they're full and then the second you need to either go somewhere or it's time for bed, they're STARVING.
15. Hiding things behind their backs right in front of you, as if you would never guess they're running off with food to the places outside the kitchen where food is strictly forbidden.

Just a few suggestions...
#6 - March 02, 2012, 05:24 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Mystery Robin, your #10 had me laughing out loud! Although I'm sure the reality of it wasn't funny. I like how you tucked that one in the middle.

#7 - March 02, 2012, 05:31 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My daughter (just turned 3) insists on doing many things all by herself (in general, a laudable goal). In practice what this means is that, if I have begun to do something for her she must UNDO whatever I have done, and then start all over again from the beginning. For example, if I got her coat from the closet and brought it to her in preparation for leaving. She would put it back in the closet, and then get it out again. It is MADDENING.

More will come to me later, but I'm too exhausted right now...

Carrie
#8 - March 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

My little guy used to drive me crazy emptying our kitchen cabinets, bookshelves, drawers. Anything with stuff in it, had to come out.

Screaming in the car, arching against the seat belt in the car seat.

Tantrums, oy, the tantrums...
#9 - March 02, 2012, 05:53 PM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

My youngest just turned three. Sometimes she throws random objects into the recycling bin (like keys) or hides them in other places. Recently, she emptied a tube of toothpaste into a cup. Oh, one thing that drives me nuts, is that she asks for a snack and then takes one bite and changes her mind! Also, both of my daughters are constantly collecting rocks and sticks and dried leaves outside and bringing them home. My youngest also races down the sidewalk with her doll stroller (she's so fast!) and I'm always on edge that she'll run someone over. Of course she does plenty of lovely, adorable things too!

Mysteryrobin! LOL!!

This is a funny thread. :)
#10 - March 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Robin, those sound a lot like my toddler (well, not the peeing in my Uggs. If she were a boy, she probably would).
#11 - March 02, 2012, 07:03 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
When my daughter was 3, she peed in the vent because she didn't want to miss a minute of Blues Clues.

The Time Out spot in our house was the laundry room. Once, when I went in to get my daughter after her time out, I found her putting powdered detergent in my Doc Martins.
#12 - March 02, 2012, 07:47 PM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Jody, jody, JODY, jody, JOdy, JODy, Jody, jody, JODY...well, you get the idea.  Kids that age keep repeating your name until you pay attention.  Then the can't understand why you're frustrated.   :whiteflag:
#13 - March 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
A neurtron walks into a bar and asks, "how much for a drink?" The bartender says, "no charge."
-Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory)

Always asking "why" and then when you give a reason asking "why" as to the reason.
#14 - March 02, 2012, 08:08 PM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

Wow, it's so nice to know that my kid is normal! And I mean that sincerely.

How about this one: telling other people something embarrassing you've said. Once I came home after being at work all day and my 3yo said, "Daddy says: Everyday I clean the house! EVERY DAY!!" I looked at my husband and was like, Oh really??

Actually that habit ends up being entertaining as often as annoying/embarrassing!

How about waking you up in alarming ways? When my son was two, I awoke in the middle of the night when I heard him say, "Mama's eyes... I poke 'em." Once he tiptoed in and shouted at the top of his lungs and then was very proud of himself for surprising me awake.
#15 - March 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster Plus
I just want to say how funny this thread is. I have four kids ages 3, 5, 7 and 9...so I can relate. My favorites so far are Olmue's crayon snapping, and Whizbee's, "Mama's eyes...I poke 'em"  :)

The things my 3yo does right now that annoy me most are taking every single DVD off of the shelf every single day, and deciding to hang on my leg when we are trying to get somewhere.
#16 - March 02, 2012, 09:58 PM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
8. Having tantrums in REALLY inopportune moments--like when you're getting out of a train and you find there's riot police lining every platform, and your 4YO decides to throw a massive, glass-shattering fit, in English, and you are in another country and are having bad flashbacks to the von Trapp family trying to escape silently over the Alps before the Nazis catch them

Rose, I'm sure this was a very BAD situation at the time, but it's hilarious to read! Thanks for sharing. BTW, you did get over the Alps safely, right? Also, that scene would be great in a book.

Wish I had more to add to the list, but I don't have children. Thanks to everyone for sharing! It helps when you write PBs and don't have little ones.
#17 - March 02, 2012, 10:16 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Walking to a nearby park, having fun there, and going on strike on the way back - "doesn't want to". Having to carry heavy, struggling, screaming child home. Child promises not to do that again when next asking to go to the park. Walking to the park...you can guess the rest.

Ah, this thread takes me back.
#18 - March 03, 2012, 12:16 AM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
Asking what? even when they hear you (so I started saying "what do you think I said?")

Asking why but not folliwng your response
my dtr at 3 when I told her she has to ask an owner and me before she pets a dog -why?
Me - we have to be sure he won't bite you
my daughter as we walk into the vet 2 minutes later --- runs up to first dog she sees, puts an hand on each side of his head, gets in his face "bite me! bite me!"

She's now 15 and very mature (and wants to be a vet)

putting stuff in weird places (i.e. filling my shoes with cookies, throwing away anything of mine that seems old (my mother did that too), putting their toys in the dishwasher

telling people the most embarrassing things

just testing the limits ... so normal...but always at the worst times...out in public...when we're running late...when we're around new people...

#19 - March 03, 2012, 04:48 AM
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
These are hilarious, everyone!  Thanks so much for playing.

I'll add another.  An employee of mine and his wife were over for dinner one night.  My 18-month old took a slice of baloney off her high chair and flung it across the living room like a frisbee.

Keep em coming!  It's cathartic, don't you think?
#20 - March 03, 2012, 05:03 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
These are hilarious. I love the poking mama's eyes and von Trapp comments, especially. (I think those things too.) My kids must be more normal than I'd thought.

--I just love it when my 3 y.o. son wants me to sit beside him while he poops on the toilet and my 5 y.o. daughter NEEDS me to be with HER and they scream at each other, both NEEDING me, and I have a headache and a cold and haven't woken up yet.
--Also: peeing in his bed b/c he decided to take his diaper off in the middle of then night.
--It's 11 p.m. and there's a noise in their bedroom. I go in and my son (3 y.o.!!!) is in the closet, sitting in a bucket, with a flashlight in his mouth and digging through his toys.
--having both kids in our bed at the same time, being squished, and then the cat comes in and lays down on my chest/neck/head.
--the SHRIEKING.
--the WHINING
--the fights over mommy's lap

I could go on for a day and a half here. But really, I love my kids. Right now they're on the couch with me, we're all watching The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That, and my daughter is whining because she wants to use my computer to play games and doesn't understand why I am on my computer. High-pitched whiny voice: I wanna play a game on that. My son is lying on his back playing with a piece of his Millennium Falcon toy and watching the Cat on TV. This is an especially peaceful moment!

#21 - March 03, 2012, 05:36 AM
THE FIRE WISH, Random House Children's, 2014
THE BLIND WISH, Random House Children's, 2015
www.amberlough.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 ::)
 :cheerleader :snowman :sled: :flower :love :bunnyrun :rainbow :mermaid

(I gave in to my daughter. she wanted to click the pictures.)
#22 - March 03, 2012, 05:38 AM
THE FIRE WISH, Random House Children's, 2014
THE BLIND WISH, Random House Children's, 2015
www.amberlough.com

Sounds so horrible, but assuming everything worked out okay... :dr

amberlough -- My daughter likes to play the "Which one is your favorite?" game with those.
#23 - March 03, 2012, 05:53 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
One word repeated over and over..."NO!"  This later became "WHY?"  But there were so many endearing things. Having a little one slows down time. I saw flowers through my daughters eyes, and they were wondrous. Ice cream was an adventure, and roly-polies were playmates.   In May my first grandchild will be born. I am going to revel in it!  For it all passes so fast.
#24 - March 03, 2012, 06:12 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
This thread has me cracking up. I don't think my 3YO (who yes, also wants me to sit next to him in the bathroom while he poops) quite gets the humor in what I'm laughing about. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! And yes, it's very cathartic!

We got over the Alps, but then we found out the terrible lie in The Sound of Music--"over the Alps" from Salzburg leads you straight back into Germany, right where Hitler camped (check an atlas, it's true!!)

Adding to the list: children reading over your shoulder when you're posting on Verla's, or trying to write. It's like your internal editor has grown arms and legs.
#25 - March 03, 2012, 07:31 AM

Asking what? even when they hear you (so I started saying "what do you think I said?")

putting stuff in weird places (i.e. filling my shoes with cookies, throwing away anything of mine that seems old (my mother did that too), putting their toys in the dishwasher

Oh, this thread takes me back. My kids totally did the "stuff in weird places"... crackers in the disc drive, rocks and grass in the mailbox, (fill-in-the-blank) in the toilet ... you name it.

Also, as someone else said, falling in love with bits of nature (grass, rocks, big and little sticks, twigs, leaves, worms ...) and insisting on bringing them inside.

Getting up repeatedly after being put to bed. One son, age 3, peeked into the living room (where hubby and I were about to have some well-deserved ice cream) and said, very conspiratorially, "I see you have SPOONS."

And the embarrassing things they say! Same son was pestering me while I was on the phone. I handed him a cup from the table and asked him to get me some water, b/c I knew he would enjoy doing that and would leave me alone for a second. He returned, handed me a cup full to the brim, and announced loudly enough to be heard by the caller, "I filled it all the way up 'cuz I know YOU LIKE TO DRINK A LOT."
#26 - March 03, 2012, 08:44 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
-Kicking the back of your seat while you're stuck in traffic. Over. and over. and over.
-Dropping a quarter on somebody's head when you're sitting in the church balcony. Followed by another.
#27 - March 03, 2012, 09:17 AM

Crayons down the radiator!
#28 - March 03, 2012, 10:05 AM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
OMG, these are hilarious!

* Singing the same line from the WORLD'S MOST ANNOYING SONG over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.......

* My 5yo likes to fill random containers (shoebox, pot, bucket, a shoe) with random unrelated things (the remote control, the coasters, magnets, crayons) and we can't ever find stuff

* Perhaps the most annoying thing my kids do -- steal my pads of paper/notebooks from my desk or near the computer and fill up EVERY SINGLE PAGE with drawings. Or lines. Or words. Then I either have nothing to write on OR I can't find my notes. Grr.

* Not only taking every DVD off the shelves, but taking the discs themselves out and strewing them everywhere OR putting them back in the wrong cases.

* 5yo also likes to put stuff in random places -- fridge, pots, drawers -- which is more funny, because I never know what I might find when I'm cooking. "Well hello, shoe in my soup pot!"
#29 - March 03, 2012, 11:19 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
We got over the Alps, but then we found out the terrible lie in The Sound of Music--"over the Alps" from Salzburg leads you straight back into Germany, right where Hitler camped (check an atlas, it's true!!)

<Digression>I live in a household where cinema--not sports--is the Male Bonding Experience of choice, and I've been told that the trek over the Alps was dramatic license, like the fistfight in the lunar module in Apollo 13 and the Eliot Ness/Frank Nitti fight on top of the federal courthouse in Scarface: the von Trapps actually exited via train. I understand, but it still offends my inner journalist. If the story's fiction it's one thing, but these are real people...</Digression>

Loving this thread. It brings back many wonderful memories...!

#30 - March 03, 2012, 12:36 PM

Members: