SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

WONDER

Discussion started on

Has anyone else read WONDER by Palacio?
I read it and loved it. Couldn't believe how good it was.

If you do read it, have the tissues ready for the end. It's very emotional.

keep writing and reading,
dave r
#1 - March 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
This is my favorite book so far this year. I loved it!
#2 - March 19, 2012, 03:08 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
It may be my favorite, too.

The characters were so well-developed.  And it felt very much like a true middle-grade novel, for middle-grade readers.  It didn't talk down to them, but the language was right on.

Loved it.
#3 - March 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

I actually had a dream about WONDER last night, and I haven't even read it!  It may be my guilty conscience (or subconscious?).  Find the book, find the book.  Read the book.  Can you believe my brain won't let me off the hook at night?  Middle grade middle grade middle grade.  I will go and find a copy of Wonder and read it, I promise.
#4 - March 19, 2012, 03:49 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
It's on my wish list...
#5 - March 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

lydap

I am on the American Booksellers for Children listserv and all the children's bookstore owners are also raving about it. I have to read it!
#6 - March 21, 2012, 09:17 AM

Loved WONDER :hearts I thought the story had a lot of heart without ever being sappy and the middle grade voice was great. My only (teeny, minor) hesitation was about the chapters in the voice of the teenage boyfriend. I realize his e.e. cummings take on punctuation was part of his voice, but I wanted him to be a teenage boy AND use proper grammar:)
#7 - March 21, 2012, 01:44 PM

This morning my husband was stumbling around like a zombie because he'd decided to read Wonder for just 10 more minutes before he went to bed and was up until 3am. I really want to read it, but since he snagged it first I have to wait until he's done. Everyone I know who's read it has absolutely loved it.
#8 - March 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

The Easter bunny dropped WONDER at our house and boy, does he have good taste! I'm half way through and loving it. It's the kind of book you don't want to put down--I stayed up way too late last night reading it. And I'm in love with August, and Summer, and Mr. Tushman...
#9 - April 11, 2012, 09:49 AM
THE DARING PRINCE DASHING, Sky Pony Press - available now!

CaroleB

You guys convinced me, it's now on my list, (Wonder), though the title alone appeals to me, too. I like that word.

Carole  :ladybug:
#10 - April 11, 2012, 10:11 AM

Reading it and loving it now.
#11 - April 11, 2012, 10:29 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I just finished it and adored it. Even though the ending is guessable from a certain point on, it doesn't dampen the emotional power at all.

So glad the industry didn't reject it as "neither MG nor YA" because of the considerable number of YA voices in a MG novel.

I see this as a Schneider winner or contender, though certainly in other categories, too. 
#12 - April 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

I read this a couple of weeks ago too. Loved it. It was such a great example of how multiple POV can be done well.
My only (teeny, minor) hesitation was about the chapters in the voice of the teenage boyfriend. I realize his e.e. cummings take on punctuation was part of his voice, but I wanted him to be a teenage boy AND use proper grammar:)
I agree with you, Christine, though I liked him a lot as a character.
#13 - April 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I think I will be adding WONDER to my library queue.

Thanks dave r.
#14 - April 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
I liked Auggie's voice so much I wasn't sure I wanted it to switch to other POV's but I'm glad it did. I'd like to think that people are that good most of the time. I usually don't like these types of books because the endings are often way too sad for me, but I found this ending very satisfying. I think this book will receive a number of awards and should be a top candidate for the Newberry.

LindaB
#15 - April 20, 2012, 05:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Oh my goodness, I stayed up WAY too late last night because I couldn't stop reading just one more chapter. This book has Newbery written all over it; it's that good. (And definitely the Schneider, too.) Like LindaB, I didn't want to leave Auggie's POV, but was very happy to be in other kids' heads once I got over my initial resistance. For the last third of the book, I was a sobbing mess, but there was an interesting (and very positive) review in the NYTimes Book Review in which the reviewer said that although the book made her sob, her 9 year old daughter, who loved it and keeps pushing it on all her friends, did not cry. The reviewer (Maria Russo) writes, "I realized that what makes her cry are stories in which children suffer because they have missing or neglectful parents and no one to take care of them."

The book did not grab me from the very beginning, however, and given discussions we've had elsewhere on the boards about how fast-paced books have to be to succeed these days, WONDER seems like a good antidote to that. Although a lot happens, this is a thoughtful book that allows characters to reveal themselves slowly. It's also jam-packed full of moral messages, but it doesn't feel preachy in the least. (Except maybe for that appended list of precepts.)

#16 - April 22, 2012, 09:26 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
OMG - I've spent the entire day reading this book! I can't believe it's been sitting on my shelf for so long waiting.

Perhaps my favourite read this year. loved loved loved.
#17 - August 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

I am probably the only person who read this book and was underwhelmed. Probably because I'd heard so many glowing reviews of it and my expectations were impossibly high. It was good, but it didn't amaze me.
#18 - August 21, 2012, 05:15 AM
Cyn Balog www.cynbalog.com (A bunch of YA paranormals from Delacorte)
Nichola Reilly www.nicholareilly.com (Postapocalyptic fantasy, Harlequin Teen)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I thought it was great. I loved the pacing, the different voices, the somewhat rare portrayal of a loving family, and the warm tone of the novel. The characters seemed real. The perspective of someone with horrible facial deformities was fascinating. Two quibbles: I found the end a bit schmaltzy, and I feel NYC, especially NYC upper-class private schools, is over-represented in novels (probably because so many publishers are in NYC). But otherwise I thought the novel was perfect.
#19 - August 21, 2012, 06:54 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I really liked the book, I think I liked it because of the different POV. Had it just been Auggie's POV, we would not have really felt the enormity of the impact of his facial deformity on others. 

While I agree that there seem to be a lot of books set in NYC private schools, I don't think this story could have worked if it were not set somewhere like NYC or Chicago.  There is no way in a small town or even a mid-sized city where a child like Auggie could have remained as anonymous.  I am sure with his trips to the doctors', hospitals and whatever ventures he went one with his family before going to school, he was well protected until he was old enough to face school on his own. 

On the other hand it might have been an interesting story to be the boy everyone knew in town and was used to, and accepted for who he was in a small town. 
#20 - August 21, 2012, 03:50 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I just finished it and really liked it.  I'm not a fan of the different POV books, but I think in this instance it was neccessary.  Once I got past my personal dislike, I was taken away by the voices and story.  And, I cried at the end, so that's always a good sign.
Should be required reading for MGer's, who can be cruel and thoughless when faced with other people's differences.  (pun intended.)  Actually, it should be required reading:)
#21 - August 21, 2012, 04:45 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
It made me cry too, but overall, I think I liked it so much because it was a happy book. A feel good, nice story. I like those.
#22 - August 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Just finished it and enjoyed it. I think it's a great Newbery contender (Schneider, too--but who says a book can only get one award?).

My 14YO son read it before me and really liked it, too--normally, he finds contemporary books "boring" (they are too much like his regular life, and he likes to read about something he doesn't already experience every day), but he liked it in spite of that. Of course, most people do not have a life quite like Auggie's...
#23 - August 23, 2012, 09:17 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I haven't read past the first couple posts in the thread in case of spoilers, but my library has it on order so I put a hold on it. First in line, yay! Can't wait to read it!!
#24 - August 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Coming back to add: I like how Auggie's family was a nice family without anything more angsty than a normal teenager. Given the number of dead or deadbeat parents in fiction, it was kind of refreshing to read about someone you might actually meet. Or live near. Or even be related to! Or whatever. Also, I liked how the friend and the mom totally got what kind of kid Julian was. Adults don't all get amnesia when they have their own kids--some of us do remember kids who acted one way around adults and another around kids they didn't like.
#25 - August 24, 2012, 01:00 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Just finished this book the other day. Oh, it was so fantastic! I hope it finds a wide audience.
#26 - August 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I have it, but I haven't read it yet. Looking forward to the read!
#27 - August 25, 2012, 06:44 AM

YAScribe

Favorite MG of the year.
#28 - August 25, 2012, 07:13 AM

Poster Plus
Great book! My only quibble (but it bothered me a lot) was that Auggie and his friends didn't feel like fifth graders to me. They felt like seventh graders. And the book felt aimed at older readers, too, so I didn't understand why the author chose to put the main character in fifth grade.
#29 - August 25, 2012, 11:27 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Mara, I felt the exact same way. I was constantly thinking of them as 7th graders until the book asserted they were otherwise. It was distracting and a little baffling. It almost made me wonder if it was originally written with them as 7th graders but then an editorial decision was made to change them to 5th grade for some reason.
#30 - August 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Members: