SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Age of first date

Discussion started on

at what age do the kids you know start going out on dates?

i don't mean group activities with girls and boys, but one girl and one boy. 

i'm in my thirties, and i remember some of the "cool kids" i grew up with often went on dates (eg: one girl and one boy having lunch together at mcdonalds) as early as sixth grade. in my WIP, i have a date during the summer between seventh and eighth grade.
but a middle school teacher i know was quite insistent that doesn't happen these days.

all help appreciated  :thankyou   
#1 - March 28, 2012, 02:59 PM

My kids won't be dating in middle school... ;) And none of their friends really do. When I was a kid, I'd say "dating" started more like Freshman year, but it feels later now. I do run with parents that are pretty conservative about dating, though, and discourage it generally. So take that with a grain of salt.
#2 - March 28, 2012, 03:15 PM
Robin

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Dunno if this helps, but my youngest (who's in Grade 6) had a girl at the beginning of the year want to date him. I don't know if that would involve actual dates or if it would just label them boyfriend/girlfriend, but we didn't get that far as my son said he wasn't interested in dating until he was "old enough to get married."

Rue
#3 - March 28, 2012, 04:17 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I think it will definitely depend on parents' rules.  I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16, and my kiddos won't be, either.  If they want to 'date' when they're 14 or 15, it will be a family thing (meaning, mom or dad will be present).  But I'm also pretty conservative ;)
#4 - March 28, 2012, 04:21 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

My 2 cents...I'd say 15 or 16 too.
#5 - March 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I had my "first" date when I was 13, it was a dance at a Military School, my uncle set it up and I am not sure that I really considered it a real date.  I just thought it was cool I was going to a dance at an all boys school.  :woo

My next date was not until I was 16 and I was fine with that. 

I think most of us were more comfortable going out as a group of girls, meeting up with a group of guys.  By 16, I was ready to go solo.  He didn't last all that long although he would show up from time to time.

I think high school is probably old enough to consider a date, but it would depend on what the date is and who it is with; most kids are not ready to pair up and some want to be a couple, those kids scare me, especially at the ages of 11, 12 and 13. :reaction
#6 - March 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Lots of kids these days don't do the traditional 'date' thing. They hang out in groups, and pair off within the group.

:ladybug: eab
#7 - March 28, 2012, 05:43 PM

I agree with auntybooks, lots more of the group dating - and dating is expensive.  My son was probably 16 when he first took a girl to a movie just the two of them.
#8 - March 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
My two older kids are 17 and 15 and no dates yet. I would let them, just hasn't happened. I think a real, true date doesn't happen until someone is driving, which in most states is 16.5 - junior year.

But there could definitely be a "pre-date" activity. Like maybe they go to the amusement park together, and mom or dad are in the park somewhere. Or they get dropped off by parents at a movie and picked up. Or they walk to get ice cream together. I think there's a lot of variation - many parents wouldn't allow that, but many would. So you can do what you like in your book.
#9 - March 28, 2012, 07:11 PM
http://rt19writers.blogspot.com/
AMAZING KITCHEN CHEMISTRY (Nomad 2008)
EXPLORE ROCKS AND MINERALS (Nomad 2009)
MAPPING AND NAVIGATION (Nomad 2013)

I agree that if it's believable in your book, it's fine. Kids aren't all the same.

But I also agree that most kids don't "date" so much as "go together," i.e., they hang out after school or something but don't have the resources to date.

I have a first date of two fourteen year olds in my WIP; they take a bus to the mall and have freeby tickets to do something there. In another scene they go to the park together. Mostly they hang out with a group of friends (which includes another love interest for her) (Sigh.)
#10 - March 28, 2012, 07:37 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
My parents didn't let me start dating until I was 16. But I managed to find ways around that!

:)
#11 - March 29, 2012, 07:49 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I think Kurtis is onto something about kids hanging out. "Date" sounds sort of deliberate and formal to me. But--I'm not a kid anymore, so I dunno.

We're another 16 family. But there's also the individuals to be considered. My older kids are still rather scared of girls (my oldest is 14 and admits nervously that some of his friends are girls--but he still goes to great lengths to avoid school dances. ) My girls, on the other hand...well, let's just say that one of them has already broken a finger while chasing boys on the playground...
#12 - March 29, 2012, 08:26 AM

I just polled my Art I class for you and the answers were 15, 16, 17.

#13 - March 30, 2012, 06:11 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Poster Plus
First date for my son (now 16) was at the beginning of 9th grade when he was 14... but this was us dropping him off at the movies and picking him up with the girl's parents doing the same, though they weren't with a group... (had done the group thing a few times first).

Regarding middle school... I don't know if that happens so much these days, though they do stuff in groups and I think "couples" find a way to be alone in groups, like sitting at a different table, would that work?
#14 - March 30, 2012, 06:21 AM
THE BOY PROBLEM, Scholastic 2014
THE BOY PROJECT, Scholastic 2012

blog: www.nerdychicksrule.com
twitter: @kamikinard

this is great, everyone!! thank you all so, so much  :)
#15 - March 30, 2012, 07:29 AM

Members: