SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writing for Children’s Magazines Ezine

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I just posted the October issue of W4CM.  It includes an interview with Marcia Lusted, Assistant Editor with the Cobblestone group of magazines, with lots of helpful information about AppleSeeds.  Thank you so much, Marcia, for sharing with us! 
#61 - September 30, 2012, 05:24 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks, Ev. Awesome issue, as usual. And thanks, Marcia and Amanda, for the info!
#62 - October 01, 2012, 06:04 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
The November issue of W4CM is up.  It includes an interview with Donna McDine, Editor-in-Chief of Guardian Angel Kids, with helpful tips about that publication, and an article from Marilyn Kratz that's especially good for beginning writers.

I don't know if either Donna or Marilyn are here on the BlueBoard, but if so--Thanks to both of you!

http://evelynchristensen.com/mags.html
#63 - November 01, 2012, 09:39 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Good issue. I read it "cover to cover." :pages:
#64 - November 01, 2012, 09:47 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Great issue, Ev!
#65 - November 01, 2012, 10:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
December issue is posted.  Includes an interview with the editor of the award-winning magazine, Skipping Stones, and a helpful article by Cheryl Reifsnyder on asking good interview questions.

I'm also including a brand new section on the ezine that lists markets that are receptive to young authors and illustrators.  So if you know of any kids who are wanting to see their work published, they might want to check it out.

[Took me about 2 hours to get the Tidbits page posted. Kept getting an error message for it. Finally figured out that apparently my website server, which hosts my site for free, doesn't allow the word 'PayPal' on any of my pages. Who knew? My son said that if I wanted to pay for a premium site, I'd be allowed money-making words like 'Amazon' and 'PayPal.' I think I'll gladly forgo the use of such words for my free site. ;) ]
#66 - December 01, 2012, 07:13 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks, Ev! The new issue is great, as usual. I'm going to be sharing the links for kid authors with my 12yo daughter and her writing club!
#67 - December 02, 2012, 03:21 PM
--Sydney Smith

Member.
Poster Plus
December issue is posted.  Includes an interview with the editor of the award-winning magazine, Skipping Stones, and a helpful article by Cheryl Reifsnyder on asking good interview questions.

Is it possible to subscribe to your ezine or at least to the update thread here? I'd love to remember to look for every issue. :-)
#68 - December 08, 2012, 07:03 AM

StaceyM

My daughter says thank you for the "markets for young writers" addition
#69 - December 28, 2012, 08:37 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I just posted the first issue of W4CM in this brand new year!  It includes a fun piece by Marty Crisp.  For those of you who like to write for the Christian market, there's an interview with the founder of The Kids' Ark; she gives lots of helpful details about their publication and what they're looking for.  The Tidbits page has oodles of information.

Allison, I apologize that I didn't see your question until just a couple of days ago.  Thank you for your interest.  I think you can click on 'Notify' at the bottom of this thread and get an email notice of updates. I've also included another possibility at the bottom of the Tidbits page for this month.

Stacey, thank you for your post and please tell your daughter I'm wishing her the best in her writing endeavors.

To all of you, I'm still eager to have articles for the ezine. Please query me or send me a finished manuscript.  I consider reprints, if you've retained the rights.
#70 - January 01, 2013, 09:14 AM
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:17 AM by Ev »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Another good issue, Ev. Marty Crisp's list is relevant for all who write for kids, not just for magazines.   :clap:

Like Allison I too wanted to get notifications. At least on my computer there is no "Notify" button anywhere on any of the E-zine pages. I looked everywhere and even had eagle-eye-DD look...  :eyeballs: Not on the Tidbits page either. I have standard IE as my browser.
#71 - January 01, 2013, 11:52 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thank you, 217mom.   :)

No, the Notify button is here on the Blueboard page.  Allison had said, "Is it possible to subscribe to your ezine or at least to the update thread here?"

If you want to get notifications other than here on the Blueboard, there's an explanation how you can do that at the bottom of the Tidbits page on the ezine.
#72 - January 01, 2013, 04:18 PM

I'm looking Ev, but I can't find it...help! :embarrassed2
#73 - January 01, 2013, 04:47 PM
I've always said I'll write someday...my someday is now.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
This is a great resource, Ev. Thanks for posting with the link!
#74 - January 01, 2013, 06:51 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I appreciate your comment, Bobi.

Audrey, I don't know which thing you're looking for.  If you're looking for the Notify button here on this Blueboard page, at least on my screen it's at the bottom in the same row with the Reply button.  There's REPLY, ADD BOOKMARK, ADD POLL, and then NOTIFY.

If you're looking on the ezine, on the homepage, click on "Ev's January Market Tidbits."  At the bottom of that page, under "Reminder" there's a link you can go to that will notify you when any changes are made on whatever page you give a URL for.  I use the resource for monitoring lots of websites I want to keep up with.

Hope this helps.
#75 - January 01, 2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks Ev, I found the reminder on your "tidbit" page.  I don't have add poll or notify on my blue board pages...perhaps this is because I am new and have not made many posts yet. 
#76 - January 01, 2013, 07:40 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Thanks Ev, I found the reminder on your "tidbit" page.  I don't have add poll or notify on my blue board pages...perhaps this is because I am new and have not made many posts yet. 

You can try going to your profile, select modify profile, and then click on notifications. There, you can turn on notifications. However, the notify function does not always work. 

I don't think the poll function is enabled for new users.
#77 - January 02, 2013, 05:45 AM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ev, Marty Crisp made me laugh!!! Guilty as charged.
I met both Jim and Vi at the Write2Ignite conference and they are soooo dedicated.

Vijaya
#78 - January 02, 2013, 02:51 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thank you, Shirley, for helping Audrey out.   :love5:

How cool that you met Vi and Jim, Vijaya.  She seemed very sweet and so gracious about doing the interview.  I wish them the best with their magazine.
#79 - January 02, 2013, 04:53 PM

You can try going to your profile, select modify profile, and then click on notifications. There, you can turn on notifications. However, the notify function does not always work. 

I don't think the poll function is enabled for new users.

Thank you Shirley...I appreciate it! :thankyou
#80 - January 02, 2013, 05:08 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Ah-ha! I found the notify button. Thanks.
#81 - January 04, 2013, 02:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Ah-ha! I found the notify button. Thanks.

Funny, the things we learn when reading someone else's post.
#82 - January 04, 2013, 09:22 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hi!  The March issue of Writing for Children's Magazines is up.  Shirley Ramaley has a helpful article for us on using photography to increase our chances of acceptance with magazines.  There's also an interview with Guide magazine editor Randy Fishell.  Guide publishes 150-200 stories a year from freelancers and is eager for submissions, so if you write what they want it's a great market.

Best wishes to all of you,
Ev
#83 - March 01, 2013, 06:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks, Ev! I have been going through your archives and it has been a great resource as I am just starting to submit to magazines again this year.
#84 - March 01, 2013, 07:19 AM
www.andreabrame.com  |  Twitter: http://twitter.com/Andrea_Brame  |  Instagram: @andreabrame

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
So glad to hear it's being helpful to you, Andrea.
#85 - March 02, 2013, 07:36 PM

Thanks Ev...it is a wonderful resource!  I love the interviews you do.  You give us access to people we would never have on our own.  :thankyou
#86 - March 03, 2013, 09:36 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thank you, Ev! It was interesting, informative, and helpful, as always. :)
#87 - March 03, 2013, 05:42 PM
--Sydney Smith

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
You're quite welcome, Sara and Audrey.  I'm glad you're finding it useful.

To everybody--please remember that I'm eager to have submissions for the ezine.  Please consider sending something.
#88 - March 03, 2013, 07:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
:oncomputer   The May issue of Writing for Children's Magazines is posted. I hope you find it helpful.

Best wishes,
Ev
#89 - May 01, 2013, 04:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks for the link to the new issue, Ev.  And  :hb to your magazine!  :wine
#90 - May 04, 2013, 09:38 PM