SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Stolen Bicycle

Discussion started on

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Has anyone here ever had a bicycle stolen and reported it to the police? My MC's dad has driven him to the police station to report the crime. But not entirely sure who they'd talk to, what kind of forms they'd fill out (I'm assuming there'd be forms to fill out?), how long the whole thing would take, etc.

Thanks!

Rue
#1 - April 03, 2012, 10:05 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
We had two bicycles stolen just before Christmas two years ago. We reported it over the phone and an officer came to the house within about an hour. He took down all the information:  our names, the address where the bikes were stolen, the time of day/night they were taken and what kind of damage was done to the chain link fence, bike locks, etc. in order for the thieves to get into the secured yard to steal them. He was at the house for about 15 minutes to a half hour max. They mailed us a report afterwards when we asked for it for our tax records.

Two things he was glad to have were copies of the sales receipts and our record of the serial numbers of the bikes. (Of course we never got the bikes back though.)

What I suggest is that you call your local police department and ask them what the procedure is for reporting a stolen bike. (It won't take long to report it!) It could be totally different, depending on where you live.
#2 - April 03, 2012, 10:35 PM
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:42 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Rue... I modified my message, possibly while you were reading it. Be sure to refresh your page and reread it. Some of the info I posted initially was incorrect, due to my faulty memory!
#3 - April 03, 2012, 10:45 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Thanks, Verla! Guess maybe my MC's dad won't have to drive into the police station after all! ;)

Rue
#4 - April 03, 2012, 10:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yep. When I was in college, my brother and I were silly enough to leave our mountain bikes on the back porch, unchained/unlocked. It must have been more than one person, but then, bikes are super easy to steal. Just hop on and ride off!

I went to get my bike to ride to classes and discovered they both were missing. Later that day, we reported it to the police station. I drove there, went inside, talked to the receptionist, waited a bit, then was pulled aside into an office by the officer. She gave me paperwork to fill out, asked a few questions, and then let me know they'd put the description in their database. I was never called.

A year or so later, I saw a young girl riding a very similar bike in the poorer section of town. Though mountain bikes styles are very common, my model was years old and no longer made, so I did wonder, but I figured in the unlikely event it WAS mine, that girl needed it more than I did.

Hope this helps! I don't know the name of the forms, but they were pretty generic from what I do recall. Just a double-sided sheet of paper on a clipboard. Owner's name, description of stolen item, value of the item, contact information for the owner, etc. I think the whole thing may have taken 15-20 minutes. 30 tops. I went later in the afternoon or early evening, since I had classes and worked a part-time job.
#5 - April 03, 2012, 11:15 PM
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:17 PM by andregirl »
www.andreabrame.com  |  Twitter: http://twitter.com/Andrea_Brame  |  Instagram: @andreabrame

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I would say it all depends on the size of the town.  In Nashville TN we had several (not kidding) lawnmowers stolen from a locked shed.  The first two, they took the information over the telephone, the third one, an officer did come to the house and look at the shed. 

They even had a bumper sticker you could buy for our zip code, It stated the zip coded and said We'll steal your heart and your lawn mower.  Once the drug dealers and one store was torn down, by golly the lawn mower thefts stopped.

I think it depends on the dollar amount and if you need a form for your insurance.

#6 - April 04, 2012, 03:34 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Thanks, guys! :)

We've never had a bike stolen, but hubby and I have had both our cars broken into. The first time I called it in and they just took a report (a few CDs and some lip gloss--yes, lip gloss!--were taken), but the second time the stereo was stolen and they had tried to steal the car, so a police officer came out and we did the report that way.

In doing research, I found you can report stolen bikes on the Internet, but that isn't quite as exciting as either going to the police station or having an officer come out to the house.

Thanks for the help!

Rue
#7 - April 04, 2012, 04:06 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
yuck - they stole your lip gloss!?! :yuk:
#8 - April 04, 2012, 05:41 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I know!  :slaphead:

Rue
#9 - April 04, 2012, 05:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Rue-
Not sure if you still need answers here, but I got my bike stolen in college and reported it to the police. It was a nice bike. I did not go to the station; an officer on duty met me at the location where it had been stolen (my apartment). Yes, he did ask me questions and he filled out a form, but I didn't fill anything out. Then he basically shrugged and told me sorry but I probably wasn't getting my bike back. Then he left. Granted, this was in an area of Los Angeles (at USC) where there is a higher crime rate so I suppose it was small potatoes to him. The whole thing took maybe half an hour--25 minutes to wait for the officer and 5 minutes to talk to him.

And I agree, that's totally gross about the lip gloss!

-Christine
#10 - May 01, 2012, 10:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
(PS: The questions he asked were like, "How often do you park your bike here? Did you have a lock on it? Did you see any suspicious when you parked it? etc.)
#11 - May 01, 2012, 10:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Never had a bike stolen but our Honda lawnmower was stolen out of our garage as I was putting groceries in the house.  Very fast thieves.  The police asked for any identifying marks/engravings/serial numbers, etc.  Unfortunately, we had none. sniff.....They came to our house to investigate.
#12 - May 01, 2012, 02:09 PM

Members: