SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

quote feature challenged

Discussion started on

CaroleB

How do you clever people use the quote feature and only quote the portion you want instead of the entire response?
I've tried highlighting and then choosing quote, but I still get the entire reply. Is there an Idiots Guide to this stuff?
I'm looking for the easiest method, of course.

Carole (who is incredibly impressed with those of you who do this)  :)
#1 - April 17, 2012, 06:14 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Hit the quote button on the person's post you want to quote.

Look at the quote that now appears in your box. It's bounded by some kind of html code. Be sure to leave the code alone, but then go in and delete whatever parts you don't want to include.

There may be another way around it, but that's how I do it. :) (I've tried what you suggested, and yeah--it doesn't seem to work.)
#2 - April 17, 2012, 06:28 AM

CaroleB

Hit the quote button on the person's post you want to quote.
 (I've tried what you suggested, and yeah--it doesn't seem to work.)

Okay, thanks. Here's my practice try. Thought I had tried it this way before and it looked goofy.
#3 - April 17, 2012, 06:32 AM

CaroleB

Yay, it worked! Best news I've had lately, hah!
Thank you, olmue!
#4 - April 17, 2012, 06:33 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
If it looked goofy before, you probably accidentally removed some of the brackets and/or code around the quote when you deleted some of the message inside the quote. That would cause it to not look right when you posted. If you accidentally do that, remove ALL of the coding around it, highlight what you wanted to quote, then click on the quote button just above the smilies and it will put new brackets and code around your message you want quoted.

:)
#6 - April 17, 2012, 02:14 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
If you accidentally do that, remove ALL of the coding around it, highlight what you wanted to quote, then click on the quote button just above the smilies and it will put new brackets and code around your message you want quoted.

I knew there had to be an easier way! Thanks, Verla! I never noticed the quote button before.

Building on what Verla just said, you can also highlight what you want to quote in the original, paste it into the reply box, re-highlight, and then click on the quote button (under the Font drop-down). Voila!  :chickendance

[This only works with regular reply, not Quick Reply, since the quote button only shows up when the smilies do]

#7 - April 17, 2012, 02:22 PM

Members: