SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

No Girls Club Rules

Discussion started on

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I'm writing a story (not sure if it's a short story or PB) about three boys who make up a "Secret No Girls Club."

I remember my boys making such a club when they were in the 6-8 year old range. They wrote out a list of rules. It was rather hilarious. I kept the list, of course, but it's now packed in a box in the basement. Bummer.

When they get home from school, I'll ask them if they can remember any of the rules. But I'm not counting on it.

So I thought I'd turn to you lovely BBers. Did you make a Secret No Girls (or Boys) Club when you were a kid? Have your kids? What kind of rules did you/they have?

I've got a couple rules so far, but they don't seem overly inspired.  :zzz

Thanks!

Rue
#1 - April 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

xC0000005

My son is eight and recently did this - I'll have to ask him what the rules were again.  What had me absolutely laughing were the first and last ones:
#1. No Girl A Loud. (his spelling, not mine).
#4 Be Nise.  (Nice).

I asked him how "No girls allowed" and "Be Nice" made any sense, and he said rule #4 didn't apply to girls.  I asked who he WAS going to be nice to, and he said "Everyone.  Everyone but girls."

I'm pleased to say the No Girl club disbanded, and he's generally nise to everyone some days.
#2 - April 23, 2012, 01:44 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Omigosh! This is exactly what I was looking for! I've got the same rule #1 ("No girls!"), but I love his spelling of it. And rule #4 takes the cake! Do you mind if I steal them?

Thanks!

Rue
#3 - April 23, 2012, 01:48 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
the funniest No Girls Club rules ever are from Calvin and Hobbes...G.R.O.S.S....the Get Rid Of Slimy girlS club.

all hail the Supreme Dictator For Life  :bow:
#4 - April 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:07 PM by Artemesia »
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Yeah, I totally thought of Calvin. But I can't really steal his rules. ;)

Rue
#5 - April 23, 2012, 01:51 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I asked my daughters (6, 7 &10). So far:

* No boys allowed, except my brother
* You have to ask permission to use the bathroom
* Someone has to stand guard in case boys try to come in
* You have to use the Girl Password before coming in
* And you have to use the Hand Password before coming in

#6 - April 23, 2012, 01:53 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Yeah, I totally thought of Calvin. But I can't really steal his rules. ;)

You don't need to steal them...I know you're just kidding, but you can read other writers' work and feel inspired without "ripping off"...like reading a bunch of MG mysteries before writing your own.
#7 - April 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

CaroleB

We had to pay "dues" each time we met. It was a nickel. Of course, our club never saved any money because as soon as we got enough for  :milkshake: (a cone) we hightailed it to the local drug store and shared it.
Seems like we wrote a pledge, and a motto,  too. Yours could be specific to "no girls". I think we might have made a flag, too. Once again, yours could have an Xed out girl symbol.
#8 - April 23, 2012, 02:06 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
You guys are cracking me up! I love all of these. I may have to write more than 5 rules!  :hahaha

Arty, good point. But I don't want Calvin's rules to influence mine too much. I'll go read his after I get mine written. :)

Rue
#9 - April 23, 2012, 02:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
No girls.
No girl toys.
No kissing.
No tomatoes. (Or the most hated vegetable of your choice. It's like...Huh?  Tomatoes?)
Spitting allowed!
#10 - April 23, 2012, 02:46 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Another rule for a boys' club: Secret Password/Hand Password = armpit fart.

It's currently a fave for my 9yo and pals. Oh, heck, the girls love it too!  :groan
#11 - April 23, 2012, 02:48 PM

xC0000005

Omigosh! This is exactly what I was looking for! I've got the same rule #1 ("No girls!"), but I love his spelling of it. And rule #4 takes the cake! Do you mind if I steal them?

Thanks!

Rue

I'm sure Isaac would be delighted at you using his rules.  They had a set of hazing rules that included sniffing a shoe and picking up a beetle.  You want to know the worst part?  His little sister, Izzy was one of four members.  Because she asked and he didn't feel right about turning her down.

So there was a girl in the No Girl club.

I would have pointed this out but I figured some things you just let work out on their own.
#12 - April 23, 2012, 03:07 PM

I'm sure Isaac would be delighted at you using his rules.  They had a set of hazing rules that included sniffing a shoe and picking up a beetle.  You want to know the worst part?  His little sister, Izzy was one of four members.  Because she asked and he didn't feel right about turning her down.

I would have pointed this out but I figured some things you just let work out on their own.

Now that's funny stuff!
#13 - April 23, 2012, 03:51 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
These are hilarious! Love them all. It's so hard to choose which I think are the funniest!

Jenna love the armpit fart doing double duty as the handshake/secret password. :dr

Oh, and xC0000005, my No Girls Club is going to end up with a girl in it too. :hahaha

Thanks everyone!

Rue
#14 - April 23, 2012, 04:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles

Oh too funny. Just wonderful. How I love children. They're the best comedians without even knowing it!

And armpit farts too. Superb.
#15 - April 23, 2012, 06:47 PM

Veering a bit off topic, but I love this thread. It reminded me of my now-grown oldest son's delightful comments on the difference between kindergarten and first grade recess:

"Last year the other boys chased the girls, but I helped them get away. This year ... no more Mr. Nice Guy!"

Later, when asked how things had gone at recess, he grumbled, "Not so good. These girls just aren't the chase-able sort."
#16 - April 23, 2012, 08:16 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Ruth:  :dr

Rue
#17 - April 23, 2012, 08:24 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

"Last year the other boys chased the girls, but I helped them get away. This year ... no more Mr. Nice Guy!"

Later, when asked how things had gone at recess, he grumbled, "Not so good. These girls just aren't the chase-able sort."

:dr :dr :dr

The others had me smiling and chuckling but this made me LOL!
#18 - April 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Members: